Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SVO's: 1984 reborn

stock intercooler core upgrade..

I'm sure you all remember the Motion dynamics IC core upgrade thread from long ago... I ordered one of them and it came in today. It literally took a day to get to me..very impressed.

anyways, I'll be installing it this weekend after all my other parts get here and I'll take some side by side pics and such and see how my baby feels after the upgrade.

the stock IC flows something like 300cfm right?? I think that's what I had read.. this new one is rated at 606 cfm so that should be a nice change!

I'll update soon!

if anyone is interested I can give you the part number and size and all that jazz..

SVO's: 2 - 9Ls
    Is Motion Dynamics back in business? If not, where'd you get it from?
    Mike S

'86 SVO 9L Leather
    '86 SVO 9L Road Warrior
    '96 300ZXTT

SVO's: 86-1C & 86-1E
    email jimW... PM me if you need his email address, I'm not sure he'd want me to post it. besides, that's the pesky little privacy policy
    Eric C
    SVOCA Webmaster

let me verify fitment and make sure it actually is the right part then I'll post up the info.

and I did not get this from Motion dynamics.. I just got the info from Jim a long time ago when his shop was open across the street from me. I'm just now trying it. there's a post on here about it with some dyno numbers as well. I found it with a search.

so far it looks like I'll have to modify the rubber seals that come on the factory IC core, but I want to make sure I can get a new one first. commencing search...

just a few early on pictures..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SDC10209 (Large).JPG   SDC10210 (Large).JPG   SDC10211 (Large).JPG  

finally had a chance to work on this.. you have to modify the rubber seals so be very careful as they are not available new any longer as you know.. I have it all back together and will let it dry overnight. I was told to use very good sealant called "The Right Stuff". tomorrow when it's dry and had time to settle I'll install it and see how she feels.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SDC10233 (Large).JPG   SDC10234 (Large).JPG  
    Last edited by BrianO; 03-13-2010 at 05:18 PM.

17 PSI Boost
    SVO's: 86 2A and a 9L
    "The Right Stuff" Is the only stuff I use anymore. It holds good temps and works on fuel. Have not tried it with E-85 yet but I will.

BTW that is a awesome piece for keeping things looking stock. I love it. Keep us posted and let us know prices and stuff if Jim is going to be selling more. If this works out I will be getting one.
    Collecting SVO's is an addiction cured by poverty

just to clarify, I didn't get this from Jim or Motion Dynamics. this is a part that Jim used to sell years ago though and he told me about it before he closed.

I'll update with info shortly, but I wanted to verify it fit and worked.

I got this thing installed finally and drove it today..plus I'll be driving it all week again too so I'll see how things go with it.

I wanted to make sure it fit before I gave out the info on it so seeing as how it does... here ya go.

It's from Bell Intercoolers and this is the one MD used for the swaps way back when.
    3.50 x 9.00 x 6.00 Part # A350090060

Boosted
    And the end result is...?

the end result is so far things are good. it spools up a bit faster and boost comes in stronger, but remember I'm only pushing 10psi. I'm sure if I was at a higher level I'd notice a bigger difference. In Jims old thread I think it made 42 more hp or something like that..

the well known PIA VIN guy Ken Potter's Avatar
    SVO's: 84,85,85.5,86x2
    PM sent.

here's a finished picture..forgot to add it earlier. can't really tell at all.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SDC10251 (Large).JPG  

SVO's: 86 2A BWD,
    Just ordered and installed the same intercooler core. Fits nice and looks even better. I can definitely feel the difference.