Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SVO's: 86 1D SVO

Engine Harness Opinions

The main engine harness on my 86 is pretty cut up. I want to try to replace with another harness altogether rather than sort it all out and make proper splices. I've got a harness from an 89 2.3 lx sitting here and it has a lot of similarities, but also a lot of differences. I've got full pinouts for both so I think I can bastardize two to make one good one. Before I tear into this too far, I wanted to get some more experienced opinions. Would I be better off scrounging up a thunderbird harness? Or another year mustang? SVO harnesses are hard to come by, and when you do, they are a little out of my budget. I don't mind putting the extra effort in to repin and combine the two harnesses but I don't want to have to do more than necessary either. If I could track down all of the correct wiring colors and connectors I would just make a whole new harness. So, any opinions?
    86 SVO - Long road ahead...
    02 Tundra SR5 -Daily

SVO's: alwaysunderconstruct
    The '87 -90 2.3 harness is the best for sure. I'd use it. That's about as close as you are going to get to a match to the SVO harness. Nice going!
    -James Price- '84 SVO 9W leather, SVO #124

Hmm... Well I hope so since that's the one I've already got. I'm still running the PE btw
    02 Tundra SR5 -Daily

I've seen them on Ebay but they are very high. $485 last time one was up. I have the same problem and will be looking for a harness as well.
    Time to clean up the engine bay!

after getting them both side by side i'm not sure what to think. the easier route would be to replace the bad parts on the 86 harness with the good bits from the 89. BUT, the 89 harness looks way, way, way better, in terms of condition. swapping whole portions isn't too difficult but some things just don't lay in the harness in the same locations and some connectors are a different style or grouped differently. for example, the injector wiring uses a different connector and includes the EGO ground in the injecotor harness. not a huge deal if i swap over the entire injector harness as well. odd difference i did notice is that the bank one and bank two wiring colors are reversed. i need to do a little more studying on this

another issue, 86 is wired for bap, 89 map. same connector, different wire colors and i believe one wire is off on the 60 pin. nothing a repin can't solve.

also, the vam harness can just be added to the 89 harness from connector to pin at the 60pin conector.

If I take good notes and pictures, and this actually works, would this be writeup worthy for some of you guys?

attached is a spreadsheet with the pinouts for both harnesses for a visual reference.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails turbowiring.jpg  
    02 Tundra SR5 -Daily

SVO's: 84 9W
    When I swapped a 2.3t into my 89 notch, all I had to do as far as the wiring was splice in 3 of the four VAM wires into the 89 harness and run the fourth to the puter. I just used the t/c injector harness, a couple of re-pins at the puter and it was done.
    84 9W

SVO's: 86 1C
    Quote Originally Posted by marlow View Post
    If I take good notes and pictures, and this actually works, would this be writeup worthy for some of you guys?
    Absolutely - if you want to provide the info, I can add it to the SVOCA newsletter as a tech story. If you are serious, send me a PM.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by BDBYS59 View Post
    When I swapped a 2.3t into my 89 notch, all I had to do as far as the wiring was splice in 3 of the four VAM wires into the 89 harness and run the fourth to the puter. I just used the t/c injector harness, a couple of re-pins at the puter and it was done.
    Correct. I did a similar swap into an 88 LX using an 86 TC motor and EEC. The 88 harness worked like a charm... I really miss that car - it was bulletproof from a reliablity stand point and was fun to drive.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 88 Stang Front.jpg   88 Stang Engine.jpg  
    Last edited by JTurbo; 02-16-2011 at 07:31 PM.
    86 SVO 1C
    84 Merc Capri RS Turbo
    79 Mustang Indy Pace Car (in storage)

Just a slight repin of the 89 harness doesn't cut it. Repinning just to make the computer work when swapping to a turbo motor is different. I need the harness to control everything just as it did from the factory. I've found a place to get striped auto wire and found the wedge lock pins. I may just produce a whole new harness for the car recycling all of my connectors. If it's cost effective, I may produce a few extras. I know most of the harnesses you buy new for 2.3t are "universal", not a direct swap for the svo. If I decide to make a few I'll throw them up on here to see who else needs to start over. Oh, and priced more reasonably than what those "universal" harnesses go for.
    02 Tundra SR5 -Daily

SVO's: 86 1C
    Quote Originally Posted by marlow View Post
    Just a slight repin of the 89 harness doesn't cut it. Repinning just to make the computer work when swapping to a turbo motor is different. I need the harness to control everything just as it did from the factory. I've found a place to get striped auto wire and found the wedge lock pins. I may just produce a whole new harness for the car recycling all of my connectors. If it's cost effective, I may produce a few extras. I know most of the harnesses you buy new for 2.3t are "universal", not a direct swap for the svo. If I decide to make a few I'll throw them up on here to see who else needs to start over. Oh, and priced more reasonably than what those "universal" harnesses go for.
    Agreed, but as mentioned earlier the n/a harness is the closest & most reasonably price alternative. You will have to adapt or simply splice the good wires from the n/a harness into the SVO harness. The layout of the n/a and turbo motors are very similar....

Which ever route you choose, let me know if you want to put a writeup in the newsletter.
    86 SVO 1C
    84 Merc Capri RS Turbo
    79 Mustang Indy Pace Car (in storage)

will do. i have to decide if i want to go that route or make a new harness. weighing my options right now. reproducing the harness with gm weatherpack connectors is an option i like a lot. i would also replace the connectors at the other harnesses (injector harness etc..). adding a small fuse panel in place of the fusible links is also very tempting
    02 Tundra SR5 -Daily

SVO's: 86 -1E
    Why would you want to put GM weather pack connectors in your harness? Ford's newer connectors work just as well or better. Take the advise of the guys here and find an 87-89 Mustang EEC harness if you are going to build one. Take your time and build an efficient harness with the newer connectors. Ford has lots of really cool connectors out there. I will post some photos of my stuff here in a minute.

SVO's: 86 -1E
    Ok, missed the edit window, sorry for the additional post, but here are some pictures. Sorry there is some grime under the hood, I have not completed the harness as I still need to add wideband O2 wires. The car was on the dyno last fall and made 369hp to the wheels, 435hp SAE corrected.

The first photo shows the addition of the driver side underhood fuse panel for the injectors, MAF, fog lights and injectors wiring. There are also relays for the injectors, MAF, fog lights, and inectors. Notice (lower right) the positive "jump post" for the battery, the battery has been relocated to the trunk area. The fuse panel is from a Ford Fiesta. The relay box is from a Ford Explorer. The jump post is from an Audi 5000.

The second photo shows the connector I used to combine all the driver side wiring into one plug. The Ford plug is a 12 pin, 8 pins are normal late model low current wires and the 4 outer pins are larger current circuits. I use the larger circuit pins for the injectors (batched). The instrument cluster wiring has been removed from the engine harness, it has ito own connector (blue connector in image 6, right side)

The 3rd image shows the inside of the 12 pin connector. Cool Ford stuff!

The 4th image shows the driver side fuel rail sub harness. The injector wiring is Bosch from an 80s Volvo, nice heavy gauge wires to each injector.

The 5th image shows the passenger side connector. It is a 16 pin low current connector that has all functions on the passenger side of the SVO harness. I have moved the BAP and everything possible behind the shock tower to clean up the engine compartment. The striped wires are type K thermocouple wires for testing and are not required for the typical install. I also have a 3bar GM MAP sensor for data logging in the picture, again, not typical.

The 6th image is an overall view from the driver's side.

The 7th image is an overall view from the passenger side.

Sorry if this is to much info, but I like to share.

Higher resolution images can be found at http://rothfam.com/svo/wiring.htm
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RIMG0002.jpg   RIMG0003.jpg   RIMG0005.jpg   RIMG0006.jpg   RIMG0008.jpg  

RIMG0001a.jpg   RIMG0002a.jpg  

4 PSI Boost
    SVO's: 85 9L
    If you go to re-poping the harness let me know I would be interested in one can send you a set of connectors as core items.
    85 9L bought for 1900.00

that dream was never realized, started working two jobs and we moved. ended up bastardizing two harnesses to make one good one just to get it mobile again. will definitely be starting from scratch on a whole new one whenever i get around to it and a million other things lol
    02 Tundra SR5 -Daily

SVO's: 1984 reborn