Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    16 PSI Boost
    SVO's: 86 1C

Turbo elbow to downpipe bolt size?

Does anyone know what size the two bolts are for the downpipe to turbo elbow? I searched and found one thread regarding this but the bolt size was never mentioned?
    Thanks!
    Kevin Boyd

Man... 2 weeks ago I dropped my exhaust to change my trans-mount bushings and noticed I only had ONE flange nut. I took the one nut down to NAPA and fit it, and bought 2 new ones, with lock washers, but I'll be dang'd if I can remember the size now. It wasn't uncommon, nor was it metric.
    84 SVO :: 258WHP - 296WTQ

16 PSI Boost
    SVO's: 86 1C
    Thanks for the info, I figured it must not be metric. I had a hand full of metric nuts and none fit. I'll try some SAE sized nuts tonight.
    Thanks!
    Kevin Boyd

SVO's: 86 1E
    OD is 5/8. Very convenient since a standard swivel spark plug socket can be used to get at the bolts.
    86 SVO 1E, not stock. MM&FF May 2010
    2012 Mustang GT, also not stock.

I'm pretty sure the OD of the nuts I bought is 11/16", but what's 1/16" between friends...?
    84 SVO :: 258WHP - 296WTQ

SVO's: Several
    The thread is 7/16" coarse. Lock nuts are useless, since the heat will take out the temper. Use a flange type nut.

I still stand behind a 5/8 spark plug swivel socket is absolutely the best way to get at these

^^^ Viking is correct on the use of the proper tool. Works great. Less filling, fewer calories.

That's not what it's for? It was certainly a lot cheaper that an 11/16's Snap-On swivel socket.

SVO's: 86 2R
    An if they're the original nuts that have not been removed for 26 years and you don't have a torch to apply a little heat, a Snap-On 5/8, 1/2-drive deep impact swivel on the end of a 1/2 impact wrench w/about a 12" impact extension works pretty well too.
    "If there's no plan, what can go wrong...?"

^^^ Torch to apply heat? Just drive the car for 10 minutes!

SVO's: 84 custom, 86 1D
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat_in_L.A. View Post
    The thread is 7/16" coarse. Lock nuts are useless, since the heat will take out the temper. Use a flange type nut.
    I think the Ford Master Parts Catalog has it as a M11x1.75 (I can check the NOS one I've got on the shelf and also get a part number for you if you'd like). Good luck trying to find this thread at your local hardware store or at Fastenall.

Dave, it's a stud and a nut, not a bolt. Don't forget to measure the elbow side of the stud as well as the downpipe side of the stud. The two studs came along in the box with the NOS replacement turbocharger from Ford.

SVO's: 84 custom, 86 1D
    It is a stud and a nut (did I say bolt?? ). The Ford Master Parts catalog lists the downpipe nuts as 387039-S7 / MM-169-LC. This has been replaced by part number 387039-S60 / MM-169-LC. The MM designates metric.
    I compared the 11.1.75 metric to the 7/16-16 and they are just about a dead-on match.

Just a little discovery for those who need to replace the downpipe to elbow studs, I found a listing on the Napa Auto Parts website for a set. It's part number BK 6003234 (a Belkamp part).

The product description states "Exhaust Manifold Bolt Size : M11-1.75 x M12-1.75 x 65mm" and from I what I see it's only $9. Much better than whatever ridiculous price you'd find from any Ford dealer.

Just I little tidbit I found from playing around and figured this is the first relevant thread to add the info to for people using the search in the future.
    Accountants are hardcore