Ported my E6 manifold...Any opinions?

Ok, so today I finally found the initiative to port out the #4 port to outlet area of my E6 I am going to be installing soon on my 85 SVO. I cannot believe the amount of restriction Ford engineered into that port area. I have to wonder just how hot that area gets if not ported when the exhaust comes out of number four cylinder and for all intents and purposes, hits a wall! Dang!!

Anyway, I got out the high speed die grinder and went to town on it. Here are some pics. I probably could have done more, but I think that more the point of porting this area is to smooth the flow rather than open it up, but that does help as well. What do you think?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails photo2.JPG   photo3.JPG  

SVO's: '86 2R
    Nice, I think, but I haven't concentrated much time on an SVO exhaust manifold lately. Yes, you want to smooth, and going at it with a finer sanding cone can help some, too.

How does that flange match to the turbo inlet? You'll want it at least a little smaller than the turbo inlet, if not matched. The individual exhaust ports should be a little bigger than the ports on the head, if possible. Use a gasket to match the two mating surfaces.
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas

17 PSI Boost
    SVO's: 86 1c
    LookS good i opened mine up just a bit more and it works great
    86 1c
    Troy
    PEOPLE HAVE MORE FUN THAN ANYONE

16 PSI Boost
    SVO's: 86 1C
    Going from the stock E3 to my home ported E6 has been the best bang for the buck yet!
    Kevin Boyd

17 PSI Boost
    SVO's: 86 2A and a 9L
    Also if you have the head off the ex ports can be really ported also. There is ALOT of meat in there.
    Collecting SVO's is an addiction cured by poverty

SVO's: 86 1E
    Read up before doing the exhaust on the head! What ever you do don't go down towards the cylinder or you will hit water right away.
    Bruce

17 PSI Boost
    Blah I cut up a head and there is almost .250 wall all the way around on the exhaust port side of a tirbo head. I can take pics if you need them.

SVO's: 86 1E
    I BELEIVE THE CASTINGS VARY QUITE A BIT, THAT SAID i WOULDN'T GO THERE.
    Bruce

17 PSI Boost
    Well I removed .125 with a drill bit, under recomendation of a certain someone here on the forum, who gets paid well to do heads.

14 PSI Boost
    Round off that turn where the front three cylinders enter the manifold outlet and do a little smoothing in the manifold inlets where it bolts to the head. You don't need to open the manifold up where it bolts to the head cause its already bigger then the heads ports. Unless you know what you are doing I would not open up those exhaust ports on that head.

I gasket matched the manifold to the turbo gasket then did the same thing to the turbo inlet. Just stuff some paper towels down in that turbo so you don't get metal in there. Once you open it up to the turbo gasket blend the shape in for a smooth transition. Like said above make sure manifold outlet is a hair smaller then the turbo inlet.

Once I got the shape I wanted I would apply light pressure to the grinding burr and move it around quickly to get a very smooth shiny and consistent finish.
    '88 LX Conv 5.0
    '88 LX Hatch 2.3T
    '86 SVO 1C

17 PSI Boost
    Ok sounds like I need to dig out my olg cracked head out of the scrap iron pile and post pics. To prove the thickness from Ford.

6 PSI Boost
    http://s228.photobucket.com/albums/e...20Iron%20Head/

Looks like it thins in the short turn, but you wouldn't remove (much) material there anyway.

SVO's: '86 2R
    That's actually THE place you'll want to cut on. You'll want to increase the radius there, so the exhaust gasses don't have to make that turn quite as fast.

Again, though, because of casting differences, it looks like you may want to be cautious there.
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas

17 PSI Boost
    http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/e...astIron009.jpg

That's what I am saying the person who ports heads told me to do, and he makes ALOT of money doing this step. So I took my nice drill bit (.125"larger than the port) and drilled all the way to the valve guide boss. Then blended things in. I agree not a whole lot to do but clean and blend in. As if you go to far your going to have issues. But I think why not go as large as you can, the larger is better works at the manifold pre turbo why not also up here in the port. When doing a turbo head porting the intake side makes more power than the EX but hey why not I say it can't hurt.