Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HID Headlight Install

SVO's: 84 9W 35,000 miles

HID Headlight Install

I decided to put HID headlights on the SVO. First I looked for a headlamp housing that would take an H3 headlamp. H3 is a 3 prong just like the sealed plug on the SVO. I found plenty of glass lens H3 housings online. The best best deals were on Evil Bay and Amazon. After much agonizing, I bought a pair of Halo Crystal Headlights, Universal 7” X 6” (H6054) with bulb for $33.99 free shipping from hdcautosports on ebay.
    The bulbs they come with are “ice blue” halogen 55/60 Watt. Silly lookin bulbs.
    Then I looked for a HID kit that I liked. There are many, and everybody makes a compelling case for you to buy their kit. After researching the power supplies (ballasts) used in HID systems I settled on an A/C type power supply. What they really mean, is that the the DC voltage is fed into some capacitors, then switched at various duty cycles (like an inverter) by a big transistor (IGBT) and toroidal step up transformer to pump up the voltage. For start up, the output voltage is 23,000 Volts, then once the gas becomes superheated (plasma) the voltage can drop to maintain the discharge. You can hear them switching at very high frequency when they are first turned on. The benefit is that you get a lot of light with a relatively low current draw. I bought 8000K Bi-Xenon bulbs.
    There are 3 types of H3 High/lo bulbs available for HID. HID lo beam with Halogen hi-beam. Pretty standard and is a good pick if you use flash-to-pass. (No one in Texas cares if you wanna pass... the horn is way more effective)
    The second type is actually 2 Xenon bulbs on one base. The draw back is that this style requires 2 ballasts per headlight. Many $$$.
    The third type actually has only one bulb and a fancy electromagnetic solenoid on the base that pulls the bulb and it's reflector hood back-wards to change the focal point in the reflector housing and pitches the beam up about 5 degrees. I bought this type and it works amazingly well.

There where 2 Wattages available 35W and 55W. I bought the 55W kit from hightechaccessory on ebay, and the glare off of the road is harsh. If this sort of thing bothers you... or you live in a rural area with very few street lights, then the 35 Watt system might be a better choice. I don't think I needed 55W, but it is freakin' awesome! Like an off-road rally car!

The install was tedious because I wanted to hide everything and keep it clean. I found that with the supplied brackets I was able to mount the ballast to the back of the turn signals on the lower stud. I fixed the hanger so that it was upside down and then when I installed it, I swung the whole ballast towards the headlight. The resulting position allowed the end to rest on the factory wiring harness. Also, the ballast module's ground lug was within easy reach of the factory ground lugs on either side of the engine compartment. I removed the battery and drilled and tapped a 1/4-20 hole on the inner fender. I put a screw in there to act as a stud for the relay. I mounted the relay and harness on the screw stud in between the inner and outer fender with a nut and loc-washer. In this location all of the wires they supplied in the kit where exactly the right length.

I had to modify the headlight housing retaining rings by bending the edges in just a little bit so that I could squeeze it onto the after-market headlamp housing. I recommend a better quality set than the ones I bought. Hella maybe? One of the bulb retainer bail screws was stripped out and I had to drill and tap it for 6-32. The back of the head lamp housing is crappy plastic... to make up for the fabulous crystal lens I'm sure. They also came with a little blue maker lamp in the bottom center of the reflector for a cats-eye effect. It looks... OK I guess, but I decided not to use it for now. Although I do like the LED halo and I wired it to the running lamp circuit (brown wire).

Now I need to upgrade the driving lights!

The camera on my HTC EVO doesn't do these things justice.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Stripped screw on cheap housing.jpg   Homemade spring puller.jpg   Led Halo.jpg   The SOV is alive.jpg   Low Beams need aiming.jpg  

I Used to be Cool!

SVO's: 86 2R
    Neat project! Thanks for sharing.
    "If there's no plan, what can go wrong...?"

SVO's: 1986 2r 84 2a
    Look brighter for sure

17 PSI Boost
    SVO's: 86 1c
    they look great nice job
    86 1c
    Troy
    PEOPLE HAVE MORE FUN THAN ANYONE

SVO's: 861c comp prep, 862r

Hid

I put a set on my 86 2r last year, 5000k bulbs (less blue) and LOVE them, can't see driving the car at night without them with the eyes getting older. The beams are aimed low so I don't blind people in front of me. I got the ones that have high beam and uses an electromagnet to tilt the bulb, the only probem with that is the light "jiggles" because it is not locked in place. But high beams are still nice to have.

I found industrial double stick tape is good for holding the ballast anywhere you have a flat surface.

Well, I didn't wanna mention that perhaps my eyes ain't so good anymore... even if it is true. However, our newer cars have great headlights and every time I got behind the wheel of the SVO I felt blind! Not to mention that I was over-driving my headlights just going the speed limit. And the deer around here are suicidal! Wantonly hurling their brainless bodies in front my priceless SVO!
    I Used to be Cool!

SVO's: 86 2R
    Quote Originally Posted by svodad View Post
    I put a set on my 86 2r last year, 5000k bulbs (less blue) and LOVE them,....
    You were able to put them in the aero housings??
    "If there's no plan, what can go wrong...?"

I assume that the set svodad put on his SVO refers to the HID kit and bulbs that fit the aero housings. I know they make HID bulbs that fit the aero housing. The 84-85 SVO came with sealed beam headlamps. That is why I bought the sealed beam replacement housings.
    I Used to be Cool!

Boosted
    SVO's: 2-'86
    Quote Originally Posted by svodad View Post
    I put a set on my 86 2r last year, 5000k bulbs (less blue) and LOVE them, can't see driving the car at night without them with the eyes getting older. The beams are aimed low so I don't blind people in front of me. I got the ones that have high beam and uses an electromagnet to tilt the bulb, the only probem with that is the light "jiggles" because it is not locked in place. But high beams are still nice to have.

I found industrial double stick tape is good for holding the ballast anywhere you have a flat surface.
    Please tell us more!! I'm having the same issue (getting older).

SVO's: 1985 4E + 1c 84 1e
    I have done the same conversion using the aero lamps and iirc the 5000k bulbs (white vs blue)
    I love the difference vs stock and think it is a great safety upgrade for the SVO
    Rob

85 4e

SVO's: 84 U3

Rob - -
    Please share info with the conversion using the '86 headlights.
    Thanks, Mike
    PETRO EXPRESS=CITGO=BOYCOTT / Illinois - Taxation w/o Representation!

SVO's: 861c comp prep, 862r
    I am traveling this week, I can pull some info, but the kits are a direct plug and play bulb for the aero headlights. I suggest ordering replacement plastic collar gismo that is used to hold the bulb in as I had to mod that piece to fit the new bulbs (part of the bulb is wider then the collar), and of coarse the originals are 25 year old plastic. I think I also took pictures sufficient to do a "how to" section ~Jim
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1251396.jpg   P1251386.jpg   P1251398.jpg   P1261400.jpg  

SVO's: 84 U3
    Jim - -
    Which kit did you purchase? Were/are you happy with it?
    Thanks for the pics.
    Mike
    PETRO EXPRESS=CITGO=BOYCOTT / Illinois - Taxation w/o Representation!

SVO's: None
    Jim....looks very similar to the kit I installed. Since mine had the recessed lights originally, I had to splice into the factory wiring as there was no plug option. I went with a kit from http://www.retro-solutions.com/ I used their 6000K digital 55W kit. I too had to modify the plastic mounting cups, but not to the extent you did. I had to trim them down to accept the new bulbs. I also had the bulbs capped since the headlamp housings do not have OE bulb covers.
    Last edited by Mr. Pink; 09-14-2011 at 10:17 PM.

14 PSI Boost
    SVO's: 1986 1C
    What are the options for upgrading not just the bulbs, but housings as well for the aero headlights to something better suited to HID lighting? Mine are pretty bad, I like the idea of the HID lighting, and I'd like new housings maybe with glass lenses? So what are some combinations that work well together?

Thanks
    Grant
    86 1C-In Progress
    94 Wrangler-In Regress