SVO's: 84 9W, 85 1B

Refinishing Stock Wheels

It seems there have been more than a few people posting something or other about refinishing or needing to refinish stock wheels lately. I thought I would share something that might save some of ya'll a few bucks.
    This sounds completely crazy, but it works. First, unless your wheels are straight and don't have DEEP scratches, curb rash, etc. this isn't going to work.
    Remove the center caps and make sure the valve stems don't stick out past the surface of the wheel. If they do, they'll have to be removed. This can be done with the tires on or off.
    Simply jack up the rear axle and place it on jack stands. (Make sure both rear wheels are clear, and the fronts are chocked real good.) Crank the car, put it in second or third gear and let it run. Using a sanding block with wet/dry sandpaper and a garden hose, simply let the wheel turn and do the work for you. Start with a medium to fine grit and work your way up until you get the finish you want. Switch the front wheels to the back, spray on some clearcoat, and you're done.
    Perry Mitchell
    SVOCA#187

SVO's: 86 1C
    Interesting Perry - do you have any before and after pictures?
    86 SVO 1C

I have done that a couple of times on the 14" stock wheels that come on the 84 Turbo Gts. I have the tires dismounted and that way I can use a file on the lip to deal with curb rash too. I usually paint the holes in the wheel before I start and the sandpaper removes the paint from the flat surface and leaves the holes painted. This process works pretty well. I did find that when I spray the clear while the wheel is rotating I seem to get too much on there, so on the last set I did the clear after I took the wheel off. Seems like idle in 3rd gear works best for me. I set up a fan in front of the car to provide some airflow over the radiator too.
    Mark Potter

86 9L

SVO's: 84 9W, 85 1B
    I don't have before/after pictures now, but I do have an old set that I'm planning to do sometime soon. I'll try to post pictures then.
    Perry Mitchell
    SVOCA#187

SVO's: 86 SVO 2A
    Perry- any luck with this?