Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steel Bearing Retainer

4 PSI Boost

Steel Bearing Retainer

After scanning the driveline section, I think I can replace the original bearing retainer in my 84 SVO with the Ford Racing M-7050-A steel unit. My question is this a straight forward replacement or do I need a shim kit and any other parts for the replacement.

SVO's: 86 1E
    If you have the stock NWC trans I don't think that will work! That part is for a WC trans I don't beleive the NWC parts are avaialble.
    Bruce

Boosted
    Hanlon (of Hanlon Motorsports) has previously said there isn't a current steel bearing retainer for the SVO T-5 (different input shaft issues). THe part was discontinued as of just less than 2 years ago.
    With that said, I would call them and ask if something has come out lately.

4 PSI Boost
    Well I picked up this quote on another forum from one of their senior members, "The Cliff's Notes version is pretty straight forward... The steel retainers don't work on 3.97 first gear T5's, which account for most of the 4cyl transmissions. Apparently they do fit on the 3.50 and 4.03 first gear transmissions. So 85-86 TC and SVO transmissions can use the steel retainers, everyone else is screwed. At least that's what I've read on the subject". However, I will contact Hanlon for the definitive answer on the subject and post his reply.

4 PSI Boost
    Just called Hanlon Motorsports and they confirm that the Motorcraft Racing steel bearing retainer will fit on the 84 SVO NWC T5.

I'm a little cofused about all of this? What differance could theere be in the bearing retainer(outside the case) and the first gear ratio (inside the case)
    The input shafts are the same diameter and length and the throwout bearings the same so how can this be? Others have 88 TC trans's in thier cars and they are 3.97 according to the trans ID list. I am hoping some one has the steal bearing retainer right? I just bought an 89 T5 for my car and intended to put on the steal parts.
    Bruce

SVO's: 85 1C
    Bruce, is that a regular N/A 2.3 T5? If so I do beleive there is no steel one for those. I looked all over when I did the clutch in my 93 DD and they were unobtainium.... Aluminum or steel... Be nice if somehow they did a kit like the M/T SHO. Its a quill(sleeve) that gets glued on with the super duper loctite over the original retainer sleeve and has a slightly larger I.D. t.o. bearing.
    Last edited by Erics SVO; 01-20-2012 at 10:14 PM.
    -Eric
    85 1C
    10 GT Premium
    01 Jeep Wrangler

OK so which tranys do the steals fit? I thought it was just the NWC that they didn't fit. Hope the one on my 2.3 T5 is good.
    Bruce

From what I've seen they only fit the WC ones.
    -Eric
    85 1C
    10 GT Premium
    01 Jeep Wrangler

Banned
    SVO's: 84 1E #1742
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    OK so which tranys do the steals fit? I thought it was just the NWC that they didn't fit. Hope the one on my 2.3 T5 is good.
    All T-5's.

Quote Originally Posted by Erics SVO View Post
    From what I've seen they only fit the WC ones.
    ALL T-5's manufactured after 1985 are in fact "World Class". Period. 4cyl to 8cyl. The World Class designation has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with the strength or build quality of the gearbox. It is a designation placed upon the gearbox by Borg-Warner mid year 1985 after they re-designed the existing gearbox to be utilized on the WORLD market by multiple manufacturers. Hence the World Class moniker.

Just to reafirm I got my 89 4 cyl trans today (3.97 first gear) and it had a steel retainer on it already.
    Bruce

NOW I HAVE TO EAT CROW! The magnet didn't fall off but it must have been grabbing the shaft inside because after further investigation my retainer is not steel. I called Hanlon and they said the 919 retainer number is not replaceable-BUMMER cause thats what I got with this trans. Eric if you could deleat the previos post for me as not to confuse anyone else I would appreciate it. Sorry Bruce
    Bruce

I was real confused. As I called them when I did my DD and they also told me the regular NA 2.3 couldn't have a steel one put on it too...
    -Eric
    85 1C
    10 GT Premium
    01 Jeep Wrangler

SVO's: 1984 1C
    Just bringing this one back up as I wanted to change my bearing retainer in my 87 TC trans that resides in my 84. The steel retainers do not fit those with a 3.97 gear. The housing id is too small for the bearing race and shim to fit in. So, I machined it. Slid in nicely.. However, the pocket depth for the bearing race is way too shallow by about .200" So, this does not work on a 3.97 first gear trans. Got the machined paper-weight as proof. There's not enough material to take it down .2" The bearing seat of the retainer would be really thin. Just thought you guys should know.
    If I can't find one, I'll be posting an ad in the wanted section.

Just for clarification, my trans ID is E7SR-7003-AA / 13-52-155
    Last edited by U S Marine; 03-08-2014 at 12:28 PM.
    Tony

SVO's: 86 1C
    Tony, good info to pass along. If you could post some pics that would be even better (hint, hint).

I do know I have added steel bearing retainers to both an 84 non-WC and an 86 WC trannys...both retainers were purchased from D&D. I had the 84 tranny installed in a former 80 Mustang N/A and the 86 is obviously in my 86 SVO. I didn't have any fitment issues with either one.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4