Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Steel Bearing Retainer

SVO's: 86-1C & 86-1E
    I agree, I have 2 SVO t-5's with steel bearing retainers on them.

FYI the NWC comment is wrong. There is no difference between a NWC, and WC tranny, that would cause a steel bearing retainer not to work. The steel bearing retainer in my silver SVO is from Hanlon (probably 6 years ago) I really don't remember where the other one came from.

Most of the differences between WC and NWC are fiber vs brass synchros and a few internal bearing difference.
    Eric C
    SVOCA Webmaster

SVO's: 86 1E
    Just searched the D&D site and they don't have a listing for either!
    Bruce

SVO's: 86 1C
    Last time I purchased one from D&D was back in the mid-90's, so it wouldn't be a surprise if they no longer offer it. I would have to guess that you could purchase a stock aluminum snout version and have a machine shop press it out and replace with a steel version, if you can no longer source one.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

SVO's: 1984 1C
    Sorry fellas, I have no photo's as a visual aide. I did try to press the aluminum tube off and that cannot be done either. Well, I say it cannot be done but I only tried it one way and that was a press. If I had to try again, I would probably cut the tube off at the base and machine out the remaining aluminum tube from the housing to an interference fit for the steel tube.
    I didn't take any accurate measurements of the pocket vs the bearing race. I did find some numbers out on the WWW that stated you would need to machine the depth .070 AND take .065 off the height of the bearing race to maintain the front bearing pre-load. Even still the housing would be running fairly thin. No thanks! I procured a very good used one about 30 miles from my house. I got lucky. All together and back in.
    Just a few more odds and ends and she'll be back to daily driver status! Runs great just had bigger jobs (clutch and bushings) that I didn't want to tackle during the colder months.
    Tony

Interesting, glad you found a solution! I just did a quick search and found quite a few listings for T5 steel bearing retainers. One shop listed the retainer being applicable for 83-93 5.0L T5 units with p/n F6ZZ-7050A and a price of $25. I am pretty sure it should fit our SVO trannys as well.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

4 PSI Boost
    Well after starting this thread two years ago, I've finally installed my new clutch and a steel retainer bearing on my 84 SVO, that I purchased from LRS part # LRS-7050. It fits perfectly on my NWC T5.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg  

Great news! Glad you found a bearing retainer that fit, thanx for sharing the results.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4