Thread: widest wheel to run?

widest wheel to run?

hello SVOCA,

i was wondering your thoughts on wheel width.

thinking about getting some wheels soon, and i was thinking i'd do 7.5" in the front, and 8.5" in the back.

i'd keep the stock tire size in the front, and maybe go to a 255 in the rear.

is any of this objectionable? does staggering the wheels/tires have any effect on understeer with these SVOs?

thanks!

SVO's: 86 1E
    What diameter are you looking at?
    Bruce

17"**

SVO's: 86 1C
    With a staggered setup, you would likely induce some additiona understeer without any other suspension changes. If you increase rear spring rate and/or sway you can dial out some of the understeer.

I don't see any issues with a 7.5" front wheel and I think you can stuff an 8.5" in the back with some modifications. I think either flipping or removing the rear quads would be in order along with rolling the rear fenders. You will also need to be very dilligent in picking our the right offset/backspacing on front and rear so you don't run into clearance issues.

For reference I am running 17x8" all around with a 35mm offset along with 245/45zr17 RE-01R's and had to roll the rears but no adjustments up front. Someone at the last Reunion snapped this 'action' photo of my ride for a looksee. Good luck.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 112.jpg  
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

SVO's: 841C,862R,841Ettop
    Sorry to go off topic, but what's the scoop under the bumper cover for Ted??

17x9s with 255s work great on my car, no rubbing (I actually have 265s on the front but they only work if you are willing to run lots of negative camber). Mine are 35 offset. I think if I had ended up with a 37 or so I may not have had to roll the front fenders. I have room to give on the inside but not really the outside. I should also mention I am running H&R Race springs with poly isolators, so closer to stock height then most aftermarket springs. Jeff

Banned
    SVO's: 84 1E #1742
    Quote Originally Posted by svono50 View Post
    With a staggered setup, you would likely induce some additiona understeer without any other suspension changes. If you increase rear spring rate and/or sway you can dial out some of the understeer.

I don't see any issues with a 7.5" front wheel and I think you can stuff an 8.5" in the back with some modifications. I think either flipping or removing the rear quads would be in order along with rolling the rear fenders. You will also need to be very dilligent in picking our the right offset/backspacing on front and rear so you don't run into clearance issues.

For reference I am running 17x8" all around with a 35mm offset along with 245/45zr17 RE-01R's and had to roll the rears but no adjustments up front. Someone at the last Reunion snapped this 'action' photo of my ride for a looksee. Good luck.
    Is that with stock suspension? I.E. No sn95 swap or anything

SVO's: 86 9L, 841E
    Quote Originally Posted by chalkys_explorer View Post
    I would guess a motorsport or grand national intercooler.

I believe it is a cold air ram air intake

Bar
    Barry D. Rasmussen
    SVOCA Member #192
    '86 SVO 1E
    '84 SVO 2A

Ding, ding, ding...Barry called it. It is my home-made ram air/cold air intake scoop. I have a full-length inlet tube from a V8/n/a 4-cyl car that plugs into the inlet of the air cleaner lid and connects to the scoop on the other end. It is a custom made HVAC duct fitting that was patterned off of a March ram air scoop from back in the day.

Now back to our regularly scheduled thread...
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

14 PSI Boost
    SVO's: 1985 1/2 9L

Panhard rod

how much does a panhard rod help with tire clearance on the rear? Does the lateral movement of the stock axle/arms have a large influence on how wide the tire/rim can be without rubbing?

SVO's: 2 - 9Ls
    Quote Originally Posted by ciscokid View Post
    how much does a panhard rod help with tire clearance on the rear? Does the lateral movement of the stock axle/arms have a large influence on how wide the tire/rim can be without rubbing?
    A panhard bar reduces the side to side movement from ~2" under hard cornering to ~1/4".

So, yes it has an influence on how wide of tires you can use on a lowered vehicle.
    Mike S

'86 SVO 9L Leather
    '86 SVO 9L Road Warrior
    '96 300ZXTT

SVO's: 1985.5 1B
    Quote Originally Posted by ciscokid View Post
    how much does a panhard rod help with tire clearance on the rear?
    It doesnt help. It will limit the width you can run because the bracing clamp coming off the axle housing will rub the inside of the wheel. Tucking one under further with a deep offset would have the same effect - rubbing on the axle clamp.

Quote Originally Posted by svobud View Post
    It doesnt help. It will limit the width you can run because the bracing clamp coming off the axle housing will rub the inside of the wheel. Tucking one under further with a deep offset would have the same effect - rubbing on the axle clamp.
    I would think that it would depend on the Panhard clamp/bracket. I think that there are a couple different designs out there, but I never went to that detail when I was researching them. Then again, there are 'alternate' lateral locating devices...I have to get back to you on that one.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

SVO's: 1985.5 1B
    Quote Originally Posted by svono50 View Post
    I would think that it would depend on the Panhard clamp/bracket. I think that there are a couple different designs out there, but I never went to that detail when I was researching them. Then again, there are 'alternate' lateral locating devices...I have to get back to you on that one.
    Well .. let me qualify my previous opinion is based on the Panhard Bar that Gary Alsobrooks was running on his 84 2A back in the day. That car stuck like peanut butter on the roof of your mouth, but that panhard rubbbed all kinds of pieces and parts. I seriously doubt a design that actually performs well will not cause issues with a SVO without modifying your car's sheetmetal (ie rolling the lips on the quarters). You want the connection points as far to the axle end for maximum control mechanics. That coupled with offsets necessary and the inherent fox Mustang limited wheel well opening space .. you will need to massage the car here/there if you decide to go with a wider than 8" wheel on a SVO. Just my opinion.