Original Goodyear Gatorbacks... Worth Saving?

My dad has a low mile (21,000) SVO that had the Goodyear VR50 tires on it until today when he had a new set of Goodyears put on it. The tires appear to be possibly the originals or were replaced when the car was pretty new. They have a lot of tread on them, but are very hard and cracked if you looked very close. Are these old tires worth saving to keep with the car or are they worth anything to a collector/purist? Thoughts and opinions are welcome.

SVO's: 86 2R CP 86 9L CP
    My opinion only...

For MCA concours judging the points deduct for not having the original "type" tires has not hurt me receiving Gold in my first two attempts. The judging is not near as tight as for the early cars (64 1/2 - 73).

That being said, yes, there is definitely a market for nice, original tires, depending on the degree of "cracking" that you mentioned. These would be used for show duty only. If the cracking is very visible, then this could actually count against you depending on the class you enter.

the well known PIA VIN guy Ken Potter's Avatar
    SVO's: 84,85,85.5,86x2
    Post a for sale ad with plenty of pics. Somebody would probably buy them. Be sure to give the date code from the sidewall.

Also if they're the regular 225s or the P225s.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Potter View Post
    Post a for sale ad with plenty of pics. Somebody would probably buy them. Be sure to give the date code from the sidewall.

Also if they're the regular 225s or the P225s.
    Ok sounds good. I know they are the P225's.