Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: 1986 7B Project

SVO's: 86 1C
    Enjoyed reading the progress so far. Keep up the good work!
    86 SVO 1C

SVO's: 1986 7B

Door Harness Pictures

Here are a few pictures more to come after the replacement. I have windows working perfectly now. The lock servos work but, the switches are shot. Hurry up Mr UPS man
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN0220.JPG   DSCN0221.JPG   DSCN0222.JPG  

Intercooler Brackets

Quote Originally Posted by SVOeric View Post
    most people don't run the intercooler brackets, because they rattle, and set off the knock sensor
    I just did a test drive last night with the brackets on. I noticed the design wasn't very good when I installed them. You were right. As I was throttling up and the road got a little bouncy I could feel the engine pull back and the ECU retarding the timing. I think I have a way to correct the bracket design and stop the rattling. I'll let you guys know how it works.

SVO's: 86-1C & 86-1E
    Most people just run the heavier duty hoses, and let the intercooler ride.

The turbocoupe didn't have brackets, it just had the stiffer hoses.
    Eric C
    SVOCA Webmaster

I agree the intercooler rides fine on the heavy hoses. I just wanted to see if I could make the brackets work. I also ordered a manual boost valve. I have given up on the electric factory one. I was trying to keep everything stock . I find it interesting that the T-Bird Turbo doesn't have brackets.

SVO's: 86 2R, 84 9W,85 4E
    Actually the turbo T-Bird, at least the 88, does have brackets. its a different shape. Like a right triangle versus the Y
    86' 2R Original Owner "Project Originale"; 86' 2R "Project Bolo" 84' 9W "Project Bondo"; 86 2R "Project Evil" (GONE!); 90' 5.0 LX Vert; 98 Dodge Neon ACR Track Car; 05 SRT-4 ACR! ---"Real tomato ketchup Eddie?"

SVO's: 86 2R, 84 9W,85 4E
    Ran out of time to re-edit and post pic of bracket earlier.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN4187-small.jpg  
    86' 2R Original Owner "Project Originale"; 86' 2R "Project Bolo" 84' 9W "Project Bondo"; 86 2R "Project Evil" (GONE!); 90' 5.0 LX Vert; 98 Dodge Neon ACR Track Car; 05 SRT-4 ACR! ---"Real tomato ketchup Eddie?"

Bracket mods work very well zero rattle

Thanks for the bracket picture Gyrhead ! That's really good to know. Well I finshed my bracket modification and road tested with zero rattle and knock sensor issues. I started off by assembling the brackets and installing them on the car. Once I did that I was able to reach the front bracket where the pin goes in and place a tack weld. I wasn't able to reach the back one. However it didn't matter. Once I had the front I realized the back would follow.

So I took everything out and used my mig welder to run a solid bead around the bracket as the pictures show. Sorry they are a little fuzzy. After that I attached the whole weldment to the mounting studs. The intercooler dropped right into place, Hooked up the hoses and I used T-Bolt clamps. I did have to make a fitting change or correction for the oil breather tube. I put a 90 degree fitting in and it worked great.

I just need to get the fuel pressure line correctly spliced instead of the cobbled fuel hose and clamps. I ordered and full repair kit for my shop that has the compression tool to connect the fittings. If any ones interested I got it from Amazon for $126.00. I decided I would most likely need it for other things on this or my other vehicles.

I did order a manual boost controller to replace the factory one. I have determined it was not doing the job. I checked the turbo waste gate and the diaphram actuator with 10psi and it works perfect with no leaks. After I get the manual one I am going to disassemble the factory one to see if I can service it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN0223.JPG   DSCN0226.JPG   DSCN0227.JPG  

SVO's: 86 1C
    That's one way to fix it. My buddy's 85.5 has a bead of RTV in and around the same area.... My '86 is a bracket delete model

JT
    86 SVO 1C

Quote Originally Posted by RFranklin View Post
    I just need to get the fuel pressure line correctly spliced instead of the cobbled fuel hose and clamps. I ordered and full repair kit for my shop that has the compression tool to connect the fittings. If any ones interested I got it from Amazon for $126.00.
    I only gave $95 bucks for my tool to install the lines, I have the part numbers for the specific ends, and I have 20 foot of nylon tubing (about $20), the connectors are only about 3-5 bucks each. I'm sure it's a nice repair kit, but that sounds a bit expensive, unless the kit has the tool in it as well.
    Eric C
    SVOCA Webmaster

Hi Eric, yes the kit includes the tool and different tubing, connectors, and a broad variety of fittings. I thought it was a good deal and the selection was pretty good. The supplier is Dorman. The model kit is 800-300.
    Last edited by RFranklin; 06-28-2012 at 11:20 PM. Reason: Part number added for repair kit

ok, yeah, if it contains the tool, that's a decent deal. just from the way you worded it, I didn't think the tool was included.
    Eric C
    SVOCA Webmaster

LOL I was pretty tired when I wrote that. Not too mention I was probably dehydrated from welding in full gear with the temp at 98 degrees . I will say this car has been awesome to work on. My friends think it's awesome i'm saving a cool piece of car history. I'll be glad when my new manual boost controller gets here Monday.

Radiator Time :)

I knew I was going to need a radiator or would need work at some point. It's a shame I think the owner before Bud had put a new 3 Row Radiator. However, they didn't take too much care in keeping the system clean. Oh well, I'm going to see if it can be redone. I have some seeping along the tank. I will say this my car in this 102 degree heat stays over between the "N" and "O" . At the most it may run right down the middle in traffic. I already changed the water pump, thermostat , and all the sensors when I did the Timing Belt. Also, did a complete system flush. Stay tuned The fun keeps coming

What a great kit !

Quote Originally Posted by 86-TC/SVO View Post
    Try one of these.
    http://www.boostvalve.com/
    I just finished installing the kit from Boostvalve. What a great kit! I was impressed it had everything right down the correct threaded plug I needed. Thanks again for the tip. I'm going to get the finally boost tuning tomorrow.