Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Transmission options ?

SVO's: 86-1C & 86-1E

Transmission options ?

Im sure a lot of you know the story, but here it is again. My original T5 developed a leak at the 2011 Reunion. I thought it was the rear seal, so I replaced it, and refilled. It looked good, so I drove it home. Before I made it home, that T5 locked up.

I already had transmission plans, I had picked up a spare T5 at the reunion, which is in the car now. I bought it to be rebuilt, and know nothing about the internals, but I stuck it in to get the car going, and it's held up fine. 2nd and 3rd synchro's are certainly worn, but it does get the job done.

So I'm not back to where I was before, with the questions,

I know about any old Mustang T5 will work, with differences in the input shaft on the V8 T5's

DO I just get my old T5 rebuilt, OR
    Are there any new fancy transmissions that may bolt up, or bolt up with minimal work?
    Will the newer transmissions, like the 2000-2004 mustangs fit ?
    will the even newer transmissions 2005-2010 fit ?
    will the new 6-speed in the 20011 up fit ?

I really haven't done any research yet. I will try to answer the questions as I go, but I'm hoping a few people out there have done some research already, and can shed some light on part of it.
    Eric C
    SVOCA Webmaster

SVO's: '86 2R
    My experience is that most of the later-model 6-speeds are big, heavy, and not as efficient as the T5. They'll handle a ton more torque, but you pay for it with a LOT of added weight. They're longer, too, so you'll have to modify the crossmember. No clue how they bolt up to the bell housing.
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas

Yeah, I've been collecting some facts in my spare time (what spare time)
    What I've seen is the 2005 up V6's use a HP350-T5 (5 speed). Very similar to our T5, only it's rated at 350 ft lb torque.
    This transmission is shorter than a older T5 and looks like it does not use a slip-yolk, like our T5's
    I'm also not sure if the existing bell-housing will bolt up to it, not sure of the input shaft length, or diameter.

I had planned to answer some of those questions before posting again, but just haven't been able to dig into it yet.

far as 6-speeds
    T56, requires a custom bell-housing
    MT82 is a single piece housing, no way to adapt it to a 2.3
    t6060 would be a custom bell-housing config as well.

So I'm pretty well looking at the hp350, and a stock T5 rebuild.
    that extra torque capacity would be nice to have, but I've got more work to do to find out if it's worth it.
    Eric C
    SVOCA Webmaster

SVO's: '86 2R
    I'd think that as long as you're not side-stepping the clutch at 5000 RPM with a pair of slicks bolted to the back wheels, you should be in fine shape with a stock T5. I know we aren't putting a lot of power through our 86 T5, but we have a LOT of miles on it autocrossing with DOT-R tires on it, and it's held up fine. Blueprinting the transmission while they're in there can probably go a long way to keeping a stocker alive.

The only thing I'd probably try to find is a Turbo Coupe T5 which has a better 1st gear ratio.
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas

SVO's: 1986 Med Canyon red
    I have also found during resto that my 86 has an unknown T5 from a V8 mustang. The first gear is not right for the SVO power band. Now that my motor is making power my new clutch is slipping. Probably sold the wrong one from the parts store. I too am in search of a company that can build the 1352-116 Borg Warner trans for my 86. I have two leads and should know more tomorrow.

hanlon motorsports can certainly build that for you.

I was looking for options outside thestock t5, which I decided against in the end
    Eric C
    SVOCA Webmaster

Quote Originally Posted by SVOeric View Post

I was looking for options outside thestock t5, which I decided against in the end
    what did you wind up doing then?

Stock T5 Rebuild
    Eric C
    SVOCA Webmaster

Quote Originally Posted by SVOeric View Post

I contacted Hanlon and they said no go with anything close to SVO gearing.......

Keep an eye on ebay, you can find a Turbo coupe or SVO T5, get them to rebuild it for you, that's how I got mine done.
    Eric C
    SVOCA Webmaster

SVO's: 86 1C
    So is Hanlon saying that the various 4-cyl gear sets are no longer available? I would find that almost hard to believe with the total number of various 4-cyl Mustangs that were put out on the road. Someone out there has a gear set or two laying around collecting dust.

Might be a long shot, but check with D&D Performance (http://www.ddperformance.com/) to see if they can offer up any help. I know they used to be a great T-5 shop, but of course deal with the newer boxes now in production.

Otherwise you may need to do some salvage yard searching Ebay watching as Eric mentioned. Rebuilding an already existing box with the correct gearing is certainly different than trying to get the actual gear set.
    Last edited by svono50; 06-26-2014 at 11:52 PM.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

Quote Originally Posted by svono50 View Post
    So is Hanlon saying that the various 4-cyl gear sets are no longer available? I would find that almost hard to believe with the total number of various 4-cyl Mustangs that were put out on the road. Someone out there has a gear set or two laying around collecting dust.

Might be a long shot, but check with D&D Performance (http://www.ddperformance.com/) to see if they can offer up any help. I know they used to be a great T-5 shop, but of course deal with the newer boxes now in production.

Otherwise you may need to do some salvage yard searching Ebay watching as Eric mentioned. Rebuilding an already existing box with the correct gearing is certainly different than trying to get the actual gear set.
    they are saying, along with a few others I contacted that the svo and turbo coupe gears are not available?

SVO's: 86 2A BWD,
    Has anyone tried to put a Tremec TKO in a SVO? They have one with a 327 first gear. Not exact but might be an option.
    Chad
    86 2A BWD, 2018 Honda Civic Type R, 1988 Mustang lx 5.0

I did not look at a TKO, and am not aware of anyone that has. It's something worth looking into for anyone on the new transmission track, but it wasn't on my original list.
    Eric C
    SVOCA Webmaster

SVO's: 86 1C
    I haven't heard of anyone putting a Tremec in an SVO either. I wonder if anyone over at TF has mated one to a 2.3L turbo application? With a 3.27 1st, it wouldn't be a bad option as an upgrade. I would think a WC tranny out of a 2.3L NA would be an option in a pinch, as they had a torque rating of just 10 lb-ft less than the 85.5-86 box and 5 lb-ft more than the 84-85 box.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4