Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Transmission options ?

16 PSI Boost
    SVO's: 1984 SVO
    Might be a newbie question, but how could you put a v8 transmission in a 4cyl car? Aren't the input shafts different? I'm actually interested as I'm looking for something in the near future to upgrade my tranny.

SVO's: 1986 Med Canyon red
    Quote Originally Posted by CodySvo View Post
    Might be a newbie question, but how could you put a v8 transmission in a 4cyl car? Aren't the input shafts different? I'm actually interested as I'm looking for something in the near future to upgrade my tranny.
    you can change the input shaft or have it machined down to the proper diameter.

- - - Updated - - -

can anyone recommend a clutch for a stock motor?

SVO's: 86 1C
    You can go with a 'standard' aftermarket clutch (i.e.- LUK, Valeo, etc) or a Spec brand clutch (i.e.- stage 1). Mainly depends on the price point you want to hit. I have only used either the Motorsport unit (Valeo mfg) or Spec stage 2 clutch, so I can't directly comment on the 'standard' aftermarket units. I never seemed to have an issue with the Valeo units I used in a former '80 NA 2.3L Mustang I owned. I am sure others on here can offer up some direct use feedback.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

Quote Originally Posted by svono50 View Post
    You can go with a 'standard' aftermarket clutch (i.e.- LUK, Valeo, etc) or a Spec brand clutch (i.e.- stage 1). Mainly depends on the price point you want to hit. I have only used either the Motorsport unit (Valeo mfg) or Spec stage 2 clutch, so I can't directly comment on the 'standard' aftermarket units. I never seemed to have an issue with the Valeo units I used in a former '80 NA 2.3L Mustang I owned. I am sure others on here can offer up some direct use feedback.
    Thanks I am looking at Spec 1 and Sachs. The sachs has no rating on torque so I worry about it being for a 2.3 non turbo.

A quick search on the K0072-03 Sachs clutch kit didn't come up with anything definitive that it was for the turbo 2.3L. But, one thing to consider is that they only offer one other kit (K0315-04) for a Mustang 2.3L/5-sp combination that stretches from 87-93 and that kit has an 8.5" disc rather than our 9" disc. I have a feeling that it is for our car, but knowing that Valeo made the Motorsport pieces, I would lean toward that unit as my experience with them has been that they are pretty durable and reliable.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

Do you know anything about Phoenix Friction, or Kupp?

SVO's: 1C, 9L & 85GT
    Tampa clutch has modified stock valeos to clamp harder than a motorsport...and with an easy pedal..
    1 Modded, 1 Not

Sounds like Kiwi has a good, known option, would be worth a call. As for your question on Phoenix & Kupp, I can only speak to what a quick search pulled up. Looks like I would avoid Kupp from the experiences posted online about their products by various car owners. Phoenix seems to have a decent reputation from the big turbo diesel guys and that is where they started their business and have expanded into OEM replacements. Not too much is out there from a car standpoint, but they might be an option if you can't find any name brand unit.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4