Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    SVO's: 86-1C & 86-1E
    was thinking the same thing Gene!

Get SVO engraved, or added on them somehow!
    Eric C
    SVOCA Webmaster

SVO's: 2 - 9Ls
    I was planning on painting on the black stripe that's part of the original spat and rocker. I like the idea of adding a shadow SVO in that somewhere. I'll give that some thought.
    Mike S

'86 SVO 9L Leather
    '86 SVO 9L Road Warrior
    '96 300ZXTT

SVO's: 1985 4E + 1c 84 1e
    I was always thinking ....if you were to add side skirts, if there was a way to cut the section that says SVO out of the SN95 SVO side skirts and splice them into the ones for the fox body
    Rob

85 4e

Quote Originally Posted by roberto2000 View Post
    I was always thinking ....if you were to add side skirts, if there was a way to cut the section that says SVO out of the SN95 SVO side skirts and splice them into the ones for the fox body
    Got a picture? I don't think I have ever seen that one.
    Mike S

'86 SVO 9L Leather
    '86 SVO 9L Road Warrior
    '96 300ZXTT

SVO's: 1985 4E + 1c 84 1e
    Here is a pic i foundClick image for larger version. 

Name:	maxresdefault.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	51.0 KB 
ID:	44038

now if you could cut out that section and graft it

if you search google images for svo side skirts you get other pics
    Rob

85 4e

Thanks
    Mike S

'86 SVO 9L Leather
    '86 SVO 9L Road Warrior
    '96 300ZXTT

Here is an update:

After installing the Cobra brakes up front, I took it for a test spin to bed in the brakes and test their braking power. Without changing anything else in the braking system, the brakes would work, but the pedal effort was very hard. In normal driving the brakes would work. In a panic stop, the pedal is heavy and hard and the rear brakes lock up to easy.

I knew I was going to have to changes some additional components, but I wanted to verify the information on the internet for myself. After emailing with Maximum Motorsports, I purchased the 15/16" bore '93 Cobra master cylinder, the MM brake lines from the MC to prop valve, the wilwood proportioning valve, the prop valve plug, and a 94 V6 brake booster. I did purchase the rear Cobra brake calipers and brackets, but I have not installed them yet. I wanted to see if the wilwood proportioning valve would allow enough adjustment to keep the stock rear setup before installing the upgraded rears.

I debated keeping the stock brake booster and machining down the MC, but in the end, I wanted a matching brake system. If you go with the '94 brake booster, you will need to elongate the mounting hole(s) as suggested on the internet, get new nuts to fit the smaller booster studs, and clearance the shock tower a lot. It took me and my brother a couple of hours with a 2 lb ball peen hammer to push the metal out of the way. I suppose the '93 Cobra booster would have been a better choice for ease of installation and being able to reuse the factory nuts. Even easier would have been to just machine down the'93 Cobra MC to fit the SVO booster. It would be interesting to know what the difference would be. I may choose this route for the NorCal car.

I had to modify the MM prop valve to MC hard lines to make them work. The stock SVO prop valve has the same size tube nut in the front and rear locations, but the MM part has one that is 1 size smaller. To solve this, I bought a hard line from NAPA that had the correct fitting, cut it off, cut off the one that came with the MM part and installed the nut and flared the tube. I used my bench belt sander to just remove the existing flare on the new MM part to keep as much length as possible. It worked.

After bench bleeding the MC, installing all of the components listed above and bleeding the brakes, I set the manual proportioning valve all the way out. According to the paper work, this setting allows 57% of the pressure to go to the rear brakes. In this configuration with Hawk blues up front and EBC yellow pads in the rears, the front wheels would lock and the rears did not. The instructions say to adjust the knob until the front and rears lock up at the same time and then back off just a bit. That's what I did and it took just 1 full turn of the knob to prevent the rears from locking up before the fronts. I will be going for a track day event at Barber 4/18 and will be able to verify this setting is correct under heavy braking conditions.

With the '94 booster, '93 Cobra MC, and stated pads above, it will stand on its nose with only minimal effort. I am going to have to be a little more judicious with the pedal pressure than I was before. I don't think that is because I am getting more boost, but that the 13" rotors are providing more stopping power than the stock fronts.

More to come...
    Last edited by GAboySVO; 03-28-2015 at 09:00 PM.
    Mike S

'86 SVO 9L Leather
    '86 SVO 9L Road Warrior
    '96 300ZXTT

Nice write up Mike, Appreciate all the well thought out info.
    Eric C
    SVOCA Webmaster

SVO's: 86 1C
    Nice work Mike, you have been very busy to say the least. Thanx for the info, will need to upgrade my brakes at some point here.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

Just an update: Went to Barber Motorsport Park for a track event this weekend and put the new brake upgrade to the test. With the stock setup, i used to start braking at the #3 marker in the braking zone. With the new setup, I could easily wait until 1 or 1 1/2 marker to press the whow pedal. I had plenty of brake all day.

This was the first time to run with my PIMP ECU in control. I was even able to due an auto tune session on track with the laptop strapped in. The first session I noticed a popping/backfire sound at 44K rpm. Looking at the tune, the fuel table had an abrupt change in values at a load factor I was not able to tune on the street. After the auto tune, it smoothed out. Probably can use some additional tweaking. I was running only 15 psi boost with the stock IC.

All was going well until the engine died going into turn 13 going up hill. Was carrying enough speed to coast all the way into the paddock area. Once I stopped and cranked it, it started again. It did this a couple of times at the same place. Upon further investigation, I determined that my fuel pressure relay is going bad. Tried to get one from the local parts store and AZ and Advance both list the incorrect FP relay for the SVO. The correct one was found under the 87 Turbo Coupe at AutoZone, but it is special order. So if you don't have one in your spare parts kit, you may want to go online and order one. I got three.

Given the amount of rain in AL last week, it was a good day all -in-all.
    Mike S

'86 SVO 9L Leather
    '86 SVO 9L Road Warrior
    '96 300ZXTT

yeah, we already know who we'll all be chasing at the reunion....
    Nice work Mike.
    Eric C
    SVOCA Webmaster

You will love the track.
    Mike S

'86 SVO 9L Leather
    '86 SVO 9L Road Warrior
    '96 300ZXTT

After 29 years and well over 220K miles, my dizzy gear finally gave up the ghost. Looking at the gears, it looks like on one side of the gear, the teeth were still the proper width. On the other side, the teeth were worn thin and final gave out. So now I need to pull the engine to make sure the metal shavings are cleaned out of the oil pan before the reunion.

Anybody have any suggestions on what I should look for as the cause for the uneven wear?
    Mike S

'86 SVO 9L Leather
    '86 SVO 9L Road Warrior
    '96 300ZXTT

SVO's: 1C, 9L & 85GT
    shaft travel up/down on the dizzy side? I had the dizz rebuilt and put a new aux shaft to hopefully hold a while....
    1 Modded, 1 Not

from the issues I've heard / seen over the years, best bet is to replace the oil pump while it's out.
    it's not that expensive, and beats pulling the engine again.
    Eric C
    SVOCA Webmaster