Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Just got my old '86 SVO back

Hello,

I just went and picked up my '86. I don't know if I'm crazy or just glutton for punishment, but I'm going to make a go at this project. For those who don't know, I was the previous owner of this same vehicle 11 years ago. I remember her in mint condition when I sold her. She's a sad shell of her former self.

Anyway, dropped in a battery and after a few trys, she fired up. Strange though, the car would not rev up, no throttle response. The pics you are about to see my be too graffic for younger viewers, please be advised. (SVO carnage).

I appreciate all of the help that I have already received and hope to get through this project with the everyone's input.

Joe
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2200.jpg   IMG_2198.jpg   IMG_2196.jpg   IMG_2194.jpg   IMG_2199.jpg  

SVO's: 86 1C
    Wow, that was one rough stretch of 11 years!! Good luck on your project bringing her back to her former glory.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

SVO's: 86-1C & 86-1E
    man that stinks that someone would do that.

The no-rev is probably bad/dirty gas, coupled with a struggling fuel pump.
    that's my thought anyway. Good that it started tho! sounds like she missed you!
    Eric C
    SVOCA Webmaster

SVO's: 1985 loaded, 1C
    Good luck with your car.
    1985 SVO 1C -- 2002 Taurus--- 2003 Ranger

SVO's: '86 2R
    Quote Originally Posted by SVOeric View Post
    man that stinks that someone would do that.

The no-rev is probably bad/dirty gas, coupled with a struggling fuel pump.
    that's my thought anyway. <SNIP>
    ^^This! Bad gas will sometimes run, but you won't get much else out of it. At least it looks like most of the parts are still there, and luckily, it's been in a dry climate. You'll probably be cleaning some rats nests out of stuff, but hopefully their damage is minimal. Best of luck with it. The red ones look great with fresh paint on them. :-)
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas

Thanks for all the encouragement. I just started getting into the engine. The fans are not kicking in and found a major coolant leak in the area of the turbo. A closer look, I found the middle freeze plug missing. Is this a common problem, or chance the cold just got to it? I caught hell getting everything loose, but finally got the manifold/turbo out as one unit. For you experienced guys, what it the magic order to replace all the components?(Easiest way to put it all back).

Never heard of freeze plugs (any position) being an 'issue'. Likely not enough glycol on a cold night as you suspect, IMHO.

As for reassembling, putting it back in as a single unit (i.e.- turbo mounted to the manifold) is easier than separately from my experience. Getting the turbo support bracket in place with the pieces on a bench is much, much easier. Tricky thing in any case is threading the oil drain line through the bracket, but not too bad. Having someone under the car helping guide things is recommended, but not necessary. Fans will never kick in if the sensor doesn't have coolant on it to trigger it, so sealing things back up will certainly help there.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

Hey All,

Just got the car put back together. Fresh gas, new fuel filter and plugs. When I tried to start her up, I could hear a banging noise coming from the VAM. Sounded like the flapper door was slamming open and shut. Any ideas. I checked the connector for voltage and only found one with 4.9v. The other three were reading nothing. (Connector disconnected from VAM at time of reading).

Joe

Joe, sounds like you may have a sticking VAF flapper/air door or possibly a broken/disconnected door spring. The VAF connector/harness will only have one power input (Vref) with three return signals (Sig rtn, VAF signal, VAT signal) and one unused pin to account for all five connector pins. Seeing ~5V is correct on that one pin with the others being 'dead' with the harness disconnected. The VAF signal will vary in voltage from 0.50V@0 cfm to 4.50V@360 cfm, the VAT signal will vary in voltage from 3.46V@50 deg to 0.38V@248 deg.

Make sure your flapper door has some resistance to it as it swings through its sweep and that it also feels smooth (i.e.- no drag). You may need to clean out some gunk in the air tract along the floor. If it just swings free, check to see if the cover on the VAF looks like it has been removed and glued back on. Someone may have gotten in there and played with the spring setting in search for some extra HP.

If all is good there you should back probe the VAF connector with it attached to see if the output smoothly sweeps up as you move the flapper door through its sweep. The VAF signal is the pin on either side of the center pin in the connector. I can't be 100% certain which side it is, but the other side is Sig rtn, which will stay steady as you sweep the door, so one of them should show voltage movement. If neither does, then you could have a faulty VAF.

Let us know what you find.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

Ted,

Great info. I'll keep you posted. Thanks

Joe

If you need, I can scan in the VAF/VAT pages out of the Slocum book for reference on the harness pinout and sensor details. Let me know.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

Just got finished testing the VAF/VAT. Found 4.9v reference, 2k ohms on the air temp sensor, and a good 1-5v sweep with the flapper door. Did not find any restrictions in the unit and the spring appeared to have decent tension. Tried to start again, could still hear the flapper door slamming shut or open.

Joe

IT"S ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!!

Replaced the fuel with a 255Walbro she fired up. Installed a Kirban adjustable FPR and a G2 boost controller. Haven't finish tweeking everything, but the first run was great. The "Seat" meter felt full and fun again.

Gutted the interior and found replacement center console and door panels. Replaced the broken 1/4 glass. Also found a replacement mid bi-wing and spats.

Ordered all new weather strips for the car as well. For those who have not tried cleaning nasty seats with the Woolite procedure list here, try it, you will be amazed.

Holding off on putting the interior back in until I get the body work completed.

Great news, sounds like your restoration project has gained some good traction and is off and running. Weather strips don't sound all that important, but boy can they make the car sound and feel so much nicer. When you get a chance, post up some pics of your progress. Also, didn't know Rick had a second gen version of his boost valve, cool to know.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

SVO's: 1986 7B
    That's awesome !!! It's great when you hear one coming back to life

Richard H. Franklin Jr
    Hayesville, NC
    1986 7B