Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 84 SVO project

6 PSI Boost

84 SVO project

Got it from a buddy who was planning on putting it together but ended up needing some money. Can't tell you the last time it ran prior to being put back together but it has been years. Engine was apart with most of the parts in the back of the car, but pretty much everything was there. So far got it running and working on getting it road ready. Plan on going through the brakes and stuff tomorrow. Here are some pics of it in progress.

After first quick bath:

Horrible redneck exhaust that was on it, sounded like a damn tractor.

New (used) 3" turbo back exhaust. Sounds so much better and has to breath better.

Picked up the upper portion of the bi-wing and test fitted it.

Got a new top to the console and at least will have one cup holder now. Not original, but this will be a daily driver when done and have to have somewhere for my Soda.

SVO's: 86-1C & 86-1E
    good start, keep the updates coming!
    Eric C
    SVOCA Webmaster

SVO's: 86 1C
    Good to see another SVO hit the road once again, looking forward to the updates! Good thing to get rid of the cherry bomb muffler, those things should only be worn under 'bowties'...
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

6 PSI Boost
    That exhaust was the most ridiculous **** I have ever seen. Doing some basic cleaning on it today, buffing the old paint, but am going to have to paint the car. Too many areas that need touched up to not just paint the car. Looks better, but....

6 PSI Boost
    Headliner, visors and dome light installed. Went through the brakes and bearings yesterday, someone had changed out everything while it has been apart, everything looks pretty much brand new other than sitting. Also got the new tires put on and balanced Friday along with a different turbo I picked up. The one that came with it has ALOT of play and needs rebuilt, this one feels much better and cost me $30. About time to go on a test drive here soon other than my driveway.

Sounds like you're making great progress on your SVO.
    86 SVO 1C

6 PSI Boost
    So took it for a short drive the other day, ran like ***. Surging and stuff when trying to give it some gas, so got home and started to look at everything. Well in the process of starting it multiple times to run codes and stuff starter decided to take a ****. Changed out starter yesterday, adjusted the TPS some even though it was only off a little. Haven't had a chance to take it for a ride, but will tomorrow (have to work tonight). Anyone have any ideas on the surging?

Make sure all the ignition components are in good shape and don't use any 'fancy' plugs, just the good ol copper versions seem to work best in our cars. Make sure you Idle Air Bypass valve is clean and the plug is making good contact. You can take it off and soak it with some carb cleaner. Also make sure your intake tract is not full of oil, especially between the VAF and turbo as that gunk can cause issues with the VAF door movement, along with causing detonation. When was the last time the fuel filter was changed?? Restricted fuel flow can throw some surging, too. Take your time to go through each system and you will find the appropriate culprit.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

6 PSI Boost
    Thanks for the advise. Should be on the right path. Fuel filter was just changed along with having the injectors serviced prior to starting along with the idle air valve and cleaned the VAM with MAF cleaner. Did swap the coil out with a newer one. We will see how she does tomorrow, but hopefully the coil and adjusting the TPS did something. I will post up how it goes and see if I need more advise.

SVO's: 86-1C & 86-1E
    When you are cleaning the idle air bypass, make sure you clean the EGR valve too. I've seen most of them with nearly 0 flow after 70k miles.
    Eric C
    SVOCA Webmaster

Keep the TPS below 1.0V, otherwise the EEC thinks you are starting to crack open the throttle and your idle can certainly go 'wanky'. I always suggest for shooting in the 0.80-0.90V. Let us know what you come up with.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

6 PSI Boost
    So still drives like crap. Revs fine when in neutral, but as soon as there is a load on it, all kinds of crappy. Need to figure out a way to see my fuel pressure gauge which is under the hood while driving.

Sounds like you have an issue with your fuel supply. Some parts stores have a fuel pressure kit that they loan out. They usually have a long enough hose to route it out the back of the hood and tape to your windshield so you can view it while putting a real load on the engine.

Before you do that, does your fuel pressure rise several psi when you disconnect the vacuum signal from it? Don't forget to plug your intake when you do this so your rpm is somewhat normal. Issue could lie in the regulator, filter, pump or s-hose from the pump to the outlet line of the tank.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

6 PSI Boost
    It has an adjustable billet fuel regulator that seems to be working fine, pressure does rise when disconnected from vacuum, filter is new and injectors were just serviced, so my guess is pumps.

6 PSI Boost
    So fuel pressure climbs initially and then drops drastically when getting on it. Pretty sure I figured out the issue, so what is the best easiest way to upgrade to a single pump and what is the best pump? I have access to a newer fuel hat from a buddy and may be able to get the whole tank since he is planning on going fuel cell.