Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 84 SVO project

SVO's: 86 1C
    It does sound like your in-tank pump is either dead or on its way out from your description, not too uncommon. Upgrading to a single in-tank pump isn't hard from what others have said. You will need to replace a resistance wire to the in-tank pump to ensure full voltage and pump capacity. As for the hoses, some searching on this forum should bring up what you would need.

Depending on what your future HP level is will determine the specific pump size. I would stick with a well known brand name (i.e.- Walbro) and from a known reputable dealer (i.e.- Auto Performance Engineering). The Walbro pumps have been reproduced by Chinese mfg's for quite a while and they have gotten very good at nailing down the cosmetics, but never seem to match the performance. APE has been a very good dealer in making sure they only get real Walbro units to sell. I have purchased (2) from them over the years and haven't been let down. If your goal is below 300hp, then I would go with a 155lph pump, if you are shooting for 300+ then I would suggest the high pressure 255lph pump.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

6 PSI Boost
    So ended up changing to single in tank pump, walbro 255 I got from a buddy that is upgrading his fox to 393 with turbo and needs more fuel than it can provide, but more than enough for me. Also ended up changing the tank since the original one was all nasty and rusty inside. Just gross and the baffle that surrounds the pump was loose. Basically the tank was trash. So the final thing I needed to do while in there was the sender for the fuel gauge. Buddy gave me one, but it was for a 87+ so not the right range resistor so wouldn't work. Ended up stealing the board out of the original one and soldering it into the new fuel sender. Works like a champ now and very easy to do. Not sure why they want $30 more for the 86 and older senders vice the 87+, but the only difference is the little board and which side of the board you solder it onto. So runs okay now, still need to play with the timing and adjust fuel pressure and stuff, but much much better than before and fuel gauge now works also. Picked up some rims for it today also, will post a pic of those when I get a chance to test fit them, but should look better than the originals do and weigh 30lbs less. The stock ones are frickin ridiculously heavy. So that is the update for the moment.

6 PSI Boost

Test fit, the tires on them are too tall, but I will swap over the other brand new ones that I just mounted on the stock tires here in the next week. Just gotta get back to the base, but these will look 1000x better IMO. Weigh about 20 pounds less also. Frickin stock ones are amazingly heavy.

Looking good. My stock wheels with 225/50R16's weighed 52 lbs for reference. My current TSW wheels are 46 lbs each, so ~24 lbs less total.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

6 PSI Boost
    Okay, re-gapped plugs, changed wires and cap (rotor that came with cap is the wrong one, but the one in there looks new anyways) and too it for a short ride. Totally different vehicle. Still could use a little tweeking, but way way way better. Only new issue is that I broke a plug so now I have one miss-match plug. What does everyone run on these? I know on my 04 Cobra copper plugs seem to be the best, but looking for some opinions on these cars. Thanks.

Copper plugs seem to work the best, the platinum ones have a higher gap jump resistance, which doesn't mix well with boost...like your Cobra. I have always run either Motorcraft AWSF-32C's or Autolite 764's. The Autolite versions are ~$1 each at Wally World, so I put in a new set each spring to keep things running smooth.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

6 PSI Boost
    Guess I should update. Changed plugs and wires, adjusted cam timing a little and she is running pretty damn good. Might have to change some valve seals on the first two cylinders if they don't get any better, had some oil on those two plugs when I changed them, but hoping that it is from sitting for so long and they will get better with it running some. That and I can't find the damn tool everyone says to use to change them in the car because the company doesn't make them anymore and the only one like it I can find is $80 from England, so we will see what it does first. Hope to get a tag for it and actually start driving it here soon. Did swap out the rims, so much better. Will post up a pick my next day off when I can at least knock the dust off it first, but she is ready to be on the road.

Great news, looking forward to the latest pics!
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4