Thread: Reunion Track Days

SVO's: 84 1E

Reunion Track Days

Hey guys the Saleen club just put up a registration page on Facebook.

https://www.saleenclubofamerica.com/event

SVO's: 86 1C
    Oh, cool, need to get my name on the list and give Lee Reese (SCOA) a bit of lip about dragging his feet on getting this one up there.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

SVO's: 2 - 9Ls
    Do you have to join the Saleen Club to participate?
    Mike S

'86 SVO 9L Leather
    '86 SVO 9L Road Warrior
    '96 300ZXTT

14 PSI Boost
    SVO's: 1986 SVO
    Spirited laps around Talladega??? Ooooooh Yeah!!!!!

SVO's: 86 2R TTop, 84 1C,
    200.00 for 2 25 minute sessions. Ouch, that's kinda steep.

Mike, it was my understanding you don't have to be an SCOA member to participate, but looks like that has changed based on the registration page. So to participate you have to pony up for an SCOA membership ($25).

Dave, yes that is not a 'cheap' session, but it isn't a complete surprise either. A track day up here at the Autobahn full course track (6-20 minute sessions) can go for $260 during a week day to $500 during a weekend day, so the $225 (track event + SCOA membership) fee isn't completely out of line when you consider the venue and the expense to the SCOA to have the facility staffed appropriately.

At first I was a little bummed when I learned it was going to only be 2-25 minute sessions, so not even a true 1/2 track day, but then I thought about it in the context of the whole weekend. We will still have a lot left in our cars to sling them around the auto-x course on Sunday, which isn't a bad thing either. In any event, I am sure my odo will be getting a good workout again at this Reunion!
    Last edited by svono50; 04-08-2015 at 01:04 AM. Reason: HPDE info update
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

Yes for insurance purposes you must be a member of the SCOA.....however, this isn't a bad thing as they are trying to do more active driving events and have no problem with you bringing an SVO to events like the Dragon tail run. We are also going to try to work together with them on some of these events to give us more activities during the year....this also may help us with boots on the ground to move the Reunion to different areas of the country . It cost $15K to rent Barbers for this event and all the money from the track event and autocross go to charity....this is a great opportunity for those new to track days as you will have an instructer from the Porsche driving school with you in the car. The Autocross is going to be at Barbers on the new proving grounds run by the Alabama SCCA and that cost at $25 is dirt cheap.

SVO's: 84 9W, 85 1B
    If not doing the high performance driving events,(only the show and shine and autocross) are we still required to pay SCOA membership fees?
    Perry Mitchell
    SVOCA#187

No Perry, if you are not doing the High Performance Driving Event on Saturday you do NOT have to join the SCOA.

Great question Perry, certainly a valid one. At least the SCOA is giving a discount of $5 off their usual membership fee to participate. I will be one of the HPDE folks out on track trying to show off our 4-cyl turbo 'skillz' to the 'other guys'...all in good fun of course!

I signed up and introduced myself over on the SCOA forums and Lee Reese almost immediately threw down some smack talk about slaying some SVO's on the auto-x course. I politely responded that the SVOCA will have a 'strategy' for said event. Well, we are currently 1-0 with the SCOA, so let's do our best to keep things to a shutout status, eh! It is good to have a friendly rivalry as the Alabama SCOA guys are a good group and we had a lot of fun at the 2013 Reunion with them.

It is going to be a busy Reunion this year with all the events going on and I am certainly looking forward to it. Hope to see a lot of SVO's in attendence this year!
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

SVO's: 2 - 9Ls
    I'm registered and setup for the Talladega, Track day, and autocross.
    Mike S

'86 SVO 9L Leather
    '86 SVO 9L Road Warrior
    '96 300ZXTT

Just a quick update on the HPDE event. I chatted via email with Lee and it looks like there are going to be (4) run groups of no more than (25) cars per run group. Instructors will be on hand for novice drivers and if you have enough experience, you will apparently be allowed on track w/o an instructor. We will have a total of (9) hours to get in our (4) run sessions as well as participate on the show field as we see fit. They did say it would be (4) sessions 'minimum', so I am guessing that if some folks bow out after a couple sessions you may be able to back-fill the open slot in that particular run group(??). Some questions will have to be asked the day of the HPDE, but at least plan on (4) sessions on track.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4