Thread: loose rear end

14 PSI Boost

loose rear end

hi all, need some help on a worn 7.5 for my car. I would like to find a replacement rear end or have mine rebuilt. Does anyone know someone near me in our little svo group that can help me out. Thank's
    Tony

12 PSI Boost
    SVO's: 86 SVO
    I have the 7.5 out of my SVO. It seemed fine while in the car, I went with IRS is the reason I took it out. Its just been setting around and if anything would be great for parts. I have never had the cover off, so I don't know the back lash and such. I live just on the other side of the mountain from Gatlinburg in NC. I would take $100.00 if interested. I can pull the cover and inspect also if you like. I also would be willing to meet you somewhere also. As for shops that would rebuild yours, there are several in eastern TN area. Just have to do some asking around over there.

SVO's: 1C, 9L & 85GT
    Is it howling tony?
    1 Modded, 1 Not

14 PSI Boost
    it isn't really loud but has a good vibration at 70mph up. Have checked the simpler things like u's and axle bearings, and the rear leaks around the input so I figure if the leak needs fixed it all has to come out anyway. I want to take the rear out as a complete unit and clean it up as well. Just trying to make it as nice as I can.

SVO's: 1986 7B
    When I started mine 3 years ago it had a similar problem. I ended up putting in a new Ford Racing Drive shaft in that solved the issue. What was interesting was when I took out the old one. My U joints weren't loose. They almost felt seized. Did you pull the shaft out when you inspected your U joints?

Richard H. Franklin Jr
    Hayesville, NC
    1986 7B

14 PSI Boost
    no but I guess I should, the u's could be frozen. When you replaced your ds did you use a fms aluminum one? I had one of those in my black 86 and it worked well. Oh by the way your lil 7b looks super great. Thank you, Tony

SVO's: 1986 7B
    Hi Tony,
    I did install the FMS Aluminum one and it was a huge difference. Nice and smooth and vibration free. I honestly thought the steel shaft was out of balance. It wasn't until I started flexing the joints they seemed jammed. Then I took them apart and discovered how seized they were. I'm still glad I installed the FMS one.

Also, thanks for the compliments on my 7B. I took it out for a long check ride today. I was testing the new Steeda shifter I installed. A massive improvement over my worn out factory Hurst.

Richard H. Franklin Jr
    Hayesville, NC
    1986 7B

14 PSI Boost
    did you look at the bad guys in the 68 black charger and then synch your lap belt down really tight and all of the sudden give it helllllllll lol Bullitt is one of my faves