Thread: pinion shaft

14 PSI Boost

pinion shaft

about how long does it take to change a pinion shaft bearing? Is it pretty hard to do?Thank you for any input here
    Tony

SVO's: 86 1C
    Tony, are you referencing the pilot bearing in the crank or one of the u-joint bearings on the driveshaft??
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

14 PSI Boost
    no, the rear end.

SVO's: 86 1C
    Ah, got ya! Different story all together. While I do most all work on my car myself, that is one area I would defer to an outside shop. Reason being for me is it involves the crush sleeve, gear wear pattern and ultimately a pressed on bearing. There may be someone on here that could give you direct experience on it, but not myself, sorry.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

SVO's: '86 2R
    IIRC, it depends on which bearing it is. If it's the outer, you can do that with regular hand tools and an inch-pound torque wrench. If it's the inner one, then like described above, you're messing with replacing the crush sleeve, and dealing with checking the gear pattern between the pinion and ring gears. I've done an outer, you just have to go easy with tightening the nut down so that you work UP to the required torque it takes to turn the pinion, and don't go over. If you go over, you've potentially crushed the crush sleeve down more, and have potentially messed up the gear pattern which can lead to premature wear.
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas