Thread: 2nd gear rattle

14 PSI Boost

2nd gear rattle

Take a look at this video and tell me what you think the noise is. Sounds like marbles rattling around but only happens in 2nd gear. Shifts fine otherwise. Only does it when moving and the clutch is engaged. Goes away as soon as the pedal is pushed down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jnLunavlNk

SVO's: 2 - 9Ls
    It doesn't sound like any normal tranny/clutch issue noises. I think you will have more success putting it up on a lift where you can isolate the source.
    Mike S

'86 SVO 9L Leather
    '86 SVO 9L Road Warrior
    '96 300ZXTT

SVO's: 86 1C
    I am kind of on the same fence as Mike, doesn't sound internal to the tranny from what I can tell from the video. It is odd that it is only in 2nd gear. If it was something to do with the clutch fork or throwout bearing, you should hear it in all gears and/or at idle. Almost sounds like something swinging in the wind under the car clacking up against something that maybe is either pushed up against something at higher speeds and not touching anything at lower speeds. See if you have anything loose hanging under the chassis anywhere that may be causing the clacking (i.e.- vacuum line, wire harness connector, etc).
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

14 PSI Boost
    Nothing is loose. The transmission has been opened up judging fom the orange RTV.

SVO's: 86 1C
    I did some more thinking and your comment about the orange RTV kind of confirmed a potential issue. One item that could be the cause of a sound like that is that there is something loose inside the tranny, specifically something connected to the top cover of the tranny case. Where I am going is maybe one or more of the shifter fork pads is missing?? Below is a picture of the little items I am talking about, there are (4) off-white plastic pads total on the two shifter forks that ride on the main upper shaft. If they are missing, the forks would rattle against the main shaft and could give a sound like what you recorded. I know I have seen these pads sold in replacement packs before, but can't remember where, but I am sure a quick search can reveal a source. Then again, I could be completely off base...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Trans - T5_Internal_Top Cover_Shifter Fork Pads.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	86.5 KB 
ID:	44915

Item #20 on the diagram:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	T-5 Exploded View.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	192.0 KB 
ID:	44916
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

14 PSI Boost
    Yeah I don't think it's a serious noise but rather something that either came loose or wasn't installed correctly. It goes away as soon as the clutch pedal is depressed.