6 PSI Boost

Fog light question from newbie owner of 1984 SVO

Hi gang,

After owning eight V8 mustangs, I recently bought a 1984 SVO and I adore it. Before I start doing the usualy go-fast route, I want to have it run perfect, and that includes having the fog lights work.
    And they dont.
    What I tried so far:
    Tested the light bulbs: they work.
    I flippped the fog light switch, the little indicator light goes on and off as expected when the main headlamps are ON.
    The radiator grounds (which are linked to the fog lamps, I seem to have read somewhere) are good and secure.
    No matter if the fog switch is on or off, when I measure voltage between the fog light connector poles at the lights themselves (with the bulbs removed), I get no voltage difference. I don't know much about electricity, but I figure with the switch at ON, I should measure 12V difference between the poles, right?
    Could this mean the ''fog light relay'' is bad? If so, where is it located, what does it look like, how can I test if it is good, and if it is bad, is there a replacement part?

Thanks for your help, much appreciated.

Peter

SVO's: 2 - 9Ls
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravencross View Post
    Could this mean the ''fog light relay'' is bad? If so, where is it located, what does it look like, how can I test if it is good, and if it is bad, is there a replacement part?

Peter
    This part of the problem, there was never a relay for the fog lights and all of the power pulled by them went through the headlight switch. The way to fix the issue is to install a relay per the link below.

http://www.turbotbird.com/faqs/#Rewire_Fog_Lights
    Mike S

'86 SVO 9L Leather
    '86 SVO 9L Road Warrior
    '96 300ZXTT

SVO's: 86 1C
    Peter, had to move this one out of the 'exhaust' forum.

As for your question, you should be reading 12V or so at the bulb posts. If your switch light is going on/off, then it sounds like your switch should also be good. If they fry the light generally doesn't work. There isn't a relay for the lights, it is directly wired through the switch, which is why a lot of switches go 'poof' over time. I added my own relay into the circuit behind the console to remove my original switch that melted down.

You could have a connection issue in a few spots, but check the housing to ceramic bulb block terminals are making good contact. Another easy check is the harness to housing connector. From that point back to the dash I am not sure if there are any other connectors, so you may need to simply trace the wires back to their source. Good luck tracking down the issue.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

SVO's: 84 1C, 86 2A
    I have found a wire splice around the right front bumper absorber area to be an issue. It is where the two fog light wires connect (soldered) to a single wire going back to the switch. It is wrapped with friction tape from the factory. Good luck with your repair.

6 PSI Boost
    Hey guys, thanks so much for the info. I will try to find the place where the juice stops flowing, and this will be a good rookie project for a guy like me who knows next to nothing in electricity.I'll be back to ask you gurus about the best, tried-and-true go-fast-combo to reach 230-240 flywheel horsepower (and hopefully, reducing or eliminating the dreadful power flat spot I experience from 5000+ RPM) given my 84's handicaps (the computer, cam and intake manifold, if I understand correctly...)Thanks again, love this car... Peter

SVO's: 86 1E
    Just wondering if you solved your problem and if so how?
    Bruce

Foglight connector

Has anyone taken apart a fog light electrical connector? I can not get power to flow through it. Just have to ask before I cut it and replace it with another style.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0874.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Kens svo View Post
    Has anyone taken apart a fog light electrical connector? I can not get power to flow through it. Just have to ask before I cut it and replace it with another style.
    Never had to pull that connector apart, but I could see that as a potential issue. If you get arcing like between the bulb and base tangs, you would simply vaporize the contacts over time. If you replace it, consider using some sort of Weatherpack connector with an appropriate current rating to ensure a liquid tight sealed connector. With the stock 55W bulbs you pull ~5 amps of current per bulb, so I would go with a connector with 10A min rating for some safety factor.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

Just found my fog light problem on the 86. With the weather getting alittle better here in the northeast, I have had the chance to get in the garage and tinker on the 86. Have been plagued with a wiring problem on the fog lights. With many hours checking conections, switches and bulbs. This afternoon we found this connector behind the passenger kick panel. Look closely at the orange wire side, replaced the connector, now the fog lights work. One happy camper here.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0900.jpg  

I had the same issue with the same connector as well! Probably a barely adequate current rating on that connector, over current in the circuit or simply an intermittent connection between the pins overheated it. Glad you found your issue.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4