SVO's: 86 1C

Chicago Area Road Construction Info

Hey, imagine that, there is road construction around the Chicagoland area this summer. Of course there is, up here we have two seasons...Winter and Road Construction. The main road construction to consider is the construction project right next to SVO Central at the I-90/Barrington Road interchange. They are changing it from a 2-way interchange to a full 4-way 'fancy' interchange. With the progress they have been making this year, I had hoped they would be further along than they are. Luckily you won't have to be driving through it during the Reunion except to exit onto Barrington Road from westbound I-90, but it isn't 'bad'. You have to currently exit onto Rt.59 west of Barrington Road and jog over to get to SVO Central from eastbound I-90, so keep that in mind.

I can answer any questions you may have and even offer up alternate routes if you would like to avoid any areas, as I am pretty familiar with the entire Chicagoland area.

Here is an IDOT website that offers up construction info: http://www.gettingaroundillinois.com/gai.htm?mt=cons

If that link doesn't work right, here is the root page where you can click on the "Road Construction" scrolling banner: http://www.gettingaroundillinois.com/
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

SVO's: 86-1C & 86-1E
    FYI Guys, DO NOT pass the toll-booths without an i-pass, or logging into the website, and paying the toll. About 3 years ago, I was going to the air-port, didn't have an I-pass, and it only accepts change (and is unmanned).
    went through the toll, cause there was nothing else I could do, and forgot about it.
    A 40 cent toll became $100. it's nothing short of a money racket, but I digress... save the $100, either get a I-pass, or make sure you have a load of coins for the toll-booths.
    Eric C
    SVOCA Webmaster

Eric pointed out something I forgot to note on the tolls around here, they are great at tripping you up. If you don't want to have to be bothered with stopping at every booth (yes, there are a bunch of them unfortunately) you can drive through the 'open road tolling' lanes and pay online after the fact. You have 7 days to pay online before they toss a fine in your direction. Since the Reunion in only 3 days, you could spend the weekend zipping through the toll locations and pay for whatever they happen to log you with after you get home...just a thought.

I have a single I-pass transponder for (3) vehicles and rarely move it around. I let our Toll Authority use their camera technology to simply snap my plates and charge my transponder accordingly. On occasion they will not flag my plates on a particular trip through, for which I conveniently forget to send them a payment.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

SVO's: 84 U3
    Also keep in mind that some tolls don't have coin toll booths anymore, so you have to pay online or have a transponder. Keep track of the toll locations that you go through. You'll need it to pay online.
    PETRO EXPRESS=CITGO=BOYCOTT / Illinois - Taxation w/o Representation!

Hey, just a little note about how the I-90 construction is effecting the ring road by SVO Central...go figure! I drove by the other day to survey the hotel and access into the lot, since things were mucked up a bit back in March. I figured things would be wrapped up by now, but not so. Nothing major, more of an inconvenience than anything. The ring road (Greenspoint Parkway) is a circle that has two access points onto IL-72/Higgins Road (the major road to the south of the hotel). If you have a trailer, DO NOT attempt to enter at the light on the eastern leg of the circle. Greenspoint Pkwy has a portion of the outer section still closed toward the top of the circle by the hotel and the ring road is one way the other direction. Enter Greenspoint Pkwy from the western leg and loop up and to the east to get to the hotel. If you do go in at the light, you have to wind through the neighboring business tower building's parking lot...not an issue with a car, but not simple with a trailer in tow.

I will post up some aerial pics with a more graphical view in the next week, so you folks will have a clearer idea of what I am trying to explain. The latest Google aerial view actually shows the area from just a couple of months ago and you can see how the outer loop of Greenspoint Pkwy is effected.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

Hotel Road Construction Map

As I promised, attached below is a map of the ring road (Greenspoint Parkway) around the SVO Central hotel. Greenspoint Parkway is a median divided circle with the outer loop being one-way counter-clockwise and the inner loop being one-way clockwise. The western leg (left-hand side in pic) of the parkway goes out onto Higgins Rd (IL72) with a stop sign and the eastern leg (right-hand side in pic) goes out onto Higgins Rd with a stop light. The RED line represents the closed section of the outer parkway, the GREEN line represents the trailer/direct route into the hotel and the YELLOW line represents the car/alternate route into the hotel. The yellow line could also represent the 'best' way onto east-bound Higgins Rd, since you have a light to get across the road.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SVOCA - Reunion_2016_Map_SVO Central_Construction_03b.jpg  
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

I-90 Alternate Info

I have been running up/down I-90 the past couple of days to see how things are progressing for you folks coming into town, since this project certainly has a LONG way to go at this point. I was hoping that it would be further along at this point, since they estimated completion in 2016...must have meant 12/31/2016?!?

Those folks coming in from the West/Northwest won't have to see too much road shifting on I-90 and a simpler from exit to hotel is: 1) Exit at IL Route 59 (Exit 14), 2) turn right (south) on IL59, 3) turn left (east) on Shoe Factory Road (1st light), 4) turn left (west) on Higgins Road/IL72 (2nd light), 5) turn right (north) onto Greenspoint Parkway and go to the hotel.

Those folks coming in from the East/South have an alternate route, which may be preferred to avoid the construction on I-90. Not that you won't see some construction on this route, but it is much less in comparison. If you come up I-294/I-290 or up I-355 here is this route: 1) Exit at IL390 West (Exit 5), 2) follow IL390 to Irving Park Rd (IL19)/Springinsguth Road (Exit 7A), 3) turn right (west) onto Irving Park Rd/IL19, 4) turn right (north) onto Barrington Road, 5) turn left (west) onto Higgins Road (IL72), 6) turn right (north) onto Greenspoint Parkway (PAST the 1st light!) and go to the hotel. The first light on Higgins is the eastern leg of Greenspoint Pkwy that doesn't easily lead into the hotel.

Hopefully these alternate directions don't whack out your GPS directions too much, but I am very familiar with the roads around here and am trying to give you a 'clean/simple' route to go. I can also give leads on where to get supplies, car washes, etc, so don't hesitate to ask.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4