SVO's: 84 1C, 84 GT turbo

lots of clutch pedal slop

So, I bought a 85.5 SVO that has a replacement aluminum clutch quadrant and firewall adjuster. The clutch cable also looks new, but there's lots of slop in the clutch pedal. It seems to be from the slack in the clutch cable and linkage, but there seems to be no adjustment to take up the slack. How does one fix that? I see lots of aftermarket cables with a threaded end at the clutch fork. The SVO doesn't seem to be compatible to that set-up. Is there a way to convert to that style of cable and linkage? Thanks!
    My wife says it's a sickness...what do you think?

SVO's: 86-1C & 86-1E
    there should be an adjuster at the firewall to take the slop out.
    Give me a day or so, and I can probably get you a pic of what mine looks like.
    Eric C
    SVOCA Webmaster

SVO's: 84 1C, 84 GT turbo
    Hey Eric, I am familiar with the firewall adjuster and it is almost all the way out just to get the clutch to engage, which is straight off the floor. I've been doing some research and it seems that different aftermarket quadrants facilitate different lengths of cable. I'm not sure which one is in the car, but its anodized red. One should be able to start with that adjuster all the way in, adjust cable length, then adjust the firewall piece to get the clutch to engage where you want in the pedal travel.
    My wife says it's a sickness...what do you think?

SVO's: 86-1C & 86-1E
    the quadrant I have actually has 3 spots for the cable, so you can use different length cables. know if your cable has multiple 'slots' for the cable 'end' ?
    Eric C
    SVOCA Webmaster

SVO's: 86 1C
    To me it sounds like the cable/quadrant are not compatible with our cars. I know what Eric is talking about, see below, just pulled this one off the Corral with a quick search that shows a single hook and triple hook style quadrants. Good luck figuring out your issue Roger.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	105tflc.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	24.0 KB 
ID:	45308
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

SVO's: Original Owner 86 9L
    Sounds like what I've been dealing with. Just found the arm that attaches to the clutch shaft has a broken weld. So when the pedal is pushed the shaft rotates but the arm that actually pulls the quadrant doesn't move. My next step is to pull the pedal box. Then to a fab shop to get it welded.

SVO's: '86 2R
    I seem to remember the adjuster is pretty much all the way out (maybe a thread or two still available) to get it to adjust right. It's been on the car a LONG time, and I believe when I replaced the cable, I did so with a Ford unit, but am not 100% sure on that. The clutch releases about 1/2 way to the floor on our 86.
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas

SVO's: 86 1E
    The firewall adjuster being all the way out is typical and dangerous. The leverage on the adjuster will crack the firewall after a while. I took my cable to a motorcycle shop that makes cables and had the inner cable shortened.
    Bruce