Thread: Mustang 8.8 reared

SVO's: 1986 1C

Mustang 8.8 reared

I recently acquired an 8.8 rearend out of an 86 GT. 373 gear, that looks to be in great shape. However it is the typical fox body rear end with drum brakes. I would like to put it under my 86 SVO. Does any one know if the SVO axles shafts from the 7.5 will work in the 8.8? Thanks
    1986 SVO 1C

Just change over the axles, brakes etc. It all works.
    Kendal Coker

SVO's: 1986 1C
    Kendal, thanks for the reply.
    1986 SVO 1C

SVO's: 86 1C
    As Kendal stated, they drop right into the 8.8 housing, no issues. You will have to transfer over the brake lines and some of the brackets for the brake lines and e-brake cables. The bracket that holds the body-to-axle fitting will either have to be extended or swapped for the 8.8 bracket, as the 7.5 version is too short to mount to the pumpkin flange. For the outboard brackets, you can try and remove the Torx head screws from the axle housings (good luck!) or you can grind the heads off and drill/tap new holes in the 8.8 housing plates. I went the cut/drill/tap option and put in SS socket head cap screws/washers. You can see a pic in post #31 here:

http://www.svoca.com/forum/showthrea...-issue-!/page3

All other components bolt right up!
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

SVO's: 1986 2A
    I hope this is not too late but you'll also need an 18mm combination wrench (if you look at most wrench sets they go like ...15mm, 16mm, 17mm then 19mm). Go to NAPA and buy an 18mm wrench. Also buy an M8 1.25 tap and tap wrench. The holes in the brake mounting plates on the 8.8 are already there but the holes are not threaded, thus the M8 1.25 tap. The mounting bolts for the SVO brake mounting brackets require a "star" wrench. Use the Mustang 8.8 differential to body mount brake line connector. If you really want to be anal then get a brake line bending plier from Harbor Freight (to make minor adjustments to the SVO brake lines) and no one will know that your installation is not actually stock.
    Last edited by Chuck; 04-24-2017 at 05:48 AM.
    <-Find the car; women: 0.001 secs, men: 2.4 mins.

SVO's: 1986 2A
    If you've not already done so and you want to change the gears, let me know. Also a point about the carbon positaction clutch pack kit from Ford: The plates come with a spring that is for F-150s. It looks nice and beefy and you might be tempted to believe that this is what makes the Roush posi so much better...no...use the original spring since all it does is keep things together while you are assembling. The cut of the spider gears is what actually forces more friction onto the posi clutch plates.
    Last edited by Chuck; 04-23-2017 at 01:57 AM.
    <-Find the car; women: 0.001 secs, men: 2.4 mins.