12 PSI Boost

Question on Front Struts

Will the front struts for a 5.0 fit on an SVO with stock lower control arms? The cost to rebuild the original Koni's is ridiculous & I'm looking for a less expensive alternative.

Thanks!

SVO's: 1986 7B
    As far as I know. The answer is no.

Richard H. Franklin Jr
    Hayesville, NC
    1986 7B

SVO's: '84 9W
    Gabriel makes replacement inserts for the front struts. They are the only ones that make them. I have done a lot of looking.

6 PSI Boost
    SVO's: Silver 1984
    When I bought my car it had Monroe struts on the front, so obviously they weren't svo specific. With the factory svo wheels and tire size they came extremely close to rubbing the inside of the tire, as in you could hardly put a piece of paper between them, and that was just sitting in the garage. I imagine when cornering hard, they would've rubbed pretty badly. Hope this helps.

Did the car have cc plates? Because the Koni's use a different set of bushings at the top.

6 PSI Boost
    SVO's: Silver 1984
    No caster camber plates, just the stock onion heads. I suppose it's also worth mentioning that everything suspension wise was stock. I bought new koni reds, and now have plenty of clearance even with wider 05-09 GT wheels and 245/40R17 tires.

I wonder how old the Monroe struts were. I remember years ago you could buy replacement struts.

16 PSI Boost
    a 5.0 strut will work on a svo check your local parts house. i have 5.0 struts on mine with sn95 lower control arms with stock spindles.

SVO's: 2 - 9Ls
    Quote Originally Posted by svoturbo View Post
    a 5.0 strut will work on a svo check your local parts house. i have 5.0 struts on mine with sn95 lower control arms with stock spindles.
    The 5.0 struts will not work with the stock SVO lower control arms.
    Mike S

'86 SVO 9L Leather
    '86 SVO 9L Road Warrior
    '96 300ZXTT

16 PSI Boost
    tell me why not!

SVO's: 86 1C
    Quote Originally Posted by svoturbo View Post
    tell me why not!
    Not 100% on this, but I am pretty sure there is an interference between the bottom of the strut body and the top of the control arm. Speaking from memory, the relationship between the bottom of the strut body/tube to the spindle mounting bracket is different on the SVO as compared to the 87-93 Fox units. Now the pre-87 5.0L struts may just work, but I don't remember reading anything on that and most folks never wanted to go backward on the strut technology. Then there is the subject of SN-95 struts on Fox arms and there is a site out there that has that info, but I can't seem to find it here at work. In any case I am sure Mike will chime back in.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

SVO's: 2 - 9Ls
    Ted is correct, the position of the tab that mounts to the spindle is higher on the tube and causes the interference with the LCA.
    Mike S

'86 SVO 9L Leather
    '86 SVO 9L Road Warrior
    '96 300ZXTT

12 PSI Boost
    Thanks everyone for the information! I sent the original Koni struts to Truchoice for rebuilding.

Can you let us know how much they charge and do they put the gas back in? thanks Kendal
    Kendal Coker

12 PSI Boost
    My struts finally came back yesterday charged & ready to install. They look great with fresh Koni orange paint & decals. Labor was $189 each which is a set charge. Parts cost for each shock is variable based on parts required. Total P&L for the two struts was $453 + shipping.