Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 86 back fires

SVO's: 2 - 9Ls
    Remove and use electronic spray cleaner you get from the parts store. You will most likely find a little bit of oil in the VAM to turbo hose. This is normal, but you can clean this with brake cleaner while it is apart.
    Mike S

'86 SVO 9L Leather
    '86 SVO 9L Road Warrior
    '96 300ZXTT

14 PSI Boost
    Hi guy did wht you said running better. Still have littlebit of srumble. I now notice it does it when eletric fan goes on is there any alternator upgrades thks again. Ron

Yes, there is a 3G alternator upgrade available and advisable. The original yellow alternator wire is prone to starting an engine fire. Do a search here or on the web. It has been covered before.
    Mike S

'86 SVO 9L Leather
    '86 SVO 9L Road Warrior
    '96 300ZXTT

SVO's: 86 1C
    I was about ready to upgrade my alternator when I ended up getting one of the upgraded alternator to solenoid wires from a former SVOCA member. Turns out my stock alternator had enough juice for things to run smoothly and the upgraded wire simply opened up the 'pipes' shall we say to handle the current. No longer dimmed lights or slowed down turn signals when coming down to idle any more. The stock alternator feed wire in the connector was severely melted and I consider myself lucky nothing burst into flames, as I am sure it got close at some point. Consider that at some point, as an upgraded alternator connected to the undersized factory wiring still won't cure all voltage ills.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

14 PSI Boost
    hi ted my stock alt is a 60amp.iwas thinking about taking it to rebuilder for a litle upgrade any thoughts.

I don't see why not to get it rebuilt/upgraded, but as I mentioned previously, upgrade your wiring from the alternator to solenoid as well.

Here are a couple pics of what my stock harness looked like when I upgraded my wiring:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Alternator Wiring - Stock Harness_Female Plug_01.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	98.5 KB 
ID:	45426 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Alternator Wiring - Stock Harness_Female Plug_02.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	112.3 KB 
ID:	45427 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Alternator Wiring - Stock Harness_Male Plug_01.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	100.8 KB 
ID:	45428 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Alternator Wiring - Stock Harness_Male Plug_02.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	93.3 KB 
ID:	45429
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

My connector actually caught fire. Fortunately I was at a stop sign and saw the smoke and was able to put it out before the road warrior became a car-b-que.
    Mike S

'86 SVO 9L Leather
    '86 SVO 9L Road Warrior
    '96 300ZXTT

14 PSI Boost
    my alt plug was melted. cut and replaced plug.

Quote Originally Posted by svoturbo View Post
    my alt plug was melted. cut and replaced plug.
    Good deal. Did you check to see if you had any improvement in voltage at the battery or not or better performance for that fact? I think I saw a good 1.5V increase at the battery with the upgraded wire.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

SVO's: '86 2R
    It's amazing how well the Motorcraft stock wires work compared to the 'high performance' pieces. Get that aftermarket crap out of the car and I bet most, if not all of your issues are fixed. Also, pay close attention to the factory plug gap. Under boost, extra gap can cause the spark to be 'blown out'. You want the stock 0.035 gap, NOTHING more.
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas

14 PSI Boost
    hi guys thanks for the help with this problem. i tune car with all for parts,what a differnts, i also change my alternator to 95amp single wire back to battery with a fuse in holder. this alternator works great no idle drop when fan goes on. lites are bright. For anybody with a svo i would change the alternator. like you say fire startrers. MY svo is ready for the open road!!!!!!!!!

Congrats! Funny how some simple things can cause a lot of havoc. Losing voltage as you bring the boost up can cause all kinds of headaches as well as real damage to the engine for that fact. Now just go and enjoy the car, eh.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4