Just a bit of BOOST

255/40/17 tires on a stock suspension 86 SVO

Hi all
    New guy here. I recently got my first SVO, an 86 9L. It is a survivor car that needs lovin. Anyway, a friend of mine is upgrading tires soon and I have a chance to pick up his 255/40/17 Startechs. Am willing to sit on them until I find wheels I like. I have followed some of the threads on this awesome site but the answer seemed to elude me. Will these tires fit without any mods other than maybe rolling fenders? I have studied up on the offset issue so I know what I am up against there. Let me know. Thanks

SVO's: 2 - 9Ls
    If you use a rim with the 2005 + Mustang's offset and back spacing they will fit. If you have lowering springs, you may need to roll the rear fender lips.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	55.4 KB 
ID:	45445
    Last edited by GAboySVO; 03-14-2017 at 04:19 PM.
    Mike S

'86 SVO 9L Leather
    '86 SVO 9L Road Warrior
    '96 300ZXTT

Just a bit of BOOST
    No lowering springs yet. Not really any money in budget for stuff this year. My 66 Fastback still needs a few things. What about the 93 Probe applications for wheels? I hear they fit without issue.

SVO's: 2 - 9Ls
    Quote Originally Posted by 6686mustangs View Post
    No lowering springs yet. Not really any money in budget for stuff this year. My 66 Fastback still needs a few things. What about the 93 Probe applications for wheels? I hear they fit without issue.
    I'm not familiar with those rims. This is what I have on the car pictured above.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Set-of-4...hXRady&vxp=mtr
    Mike S

'86 SVO 9L Leather
    '86 SVO 9L Road Warrior
    '96 300ZXTT

SVO's: 86 1C
    Quote Originally Posted by 6686mustangs View Post
    The last gen Probe's used to be a good source for rims, as were the old 300ZX's and even the 3000GT/Stealth, unfortunately there are not a lot of aftermarket rims left for those older models. I think the offset on the S197's is even better and more plentiful. Basically if you go for an 8" rim is stay in the 35-40mm offset range, higher and you run into clearance issues to the strut body and any lower and you get into fender/liner issues. BTW, a 245/50 tire on the stock rims will rub the outer rear fender lips...ask me how I know.

I ended up going with TSW rims and have been very happy with the fit along with the weight. I could have gone for a lighter rim, but the Nurburgring rims fit my bill. TSW now offers even more styles than back in 2010 when I got mine.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

SVO's: '86 2R
    Quote Originally Posted by svono50 View Post
    The last gen Probe's used to be a good source for rims, as were the old 300ZX's and even the 3000GT/Stealth, unfortunately there are not a lot of aftermarket rims left for those older models. I think the offset on the S197's is even better and more plentiful. Basically if you go for an 8" rim is stay in the 35-40mm offset range, higher and you run into clearance issues to the strut body and any lower and you get into fender/liner issues. BTW, a 245/50 tire on the stock rims will rub the outer rear fender lips...ask me how I know.

I ended up going with TSW rims and have been very happy with the fit along with the weight. I could have gone for a lighter rim, but the Nurburgring rims fit my bill. TSW now offers even more styles than back in 2010 when I got mine.
    I think that size tire depends on the brand. IIRC, we used to run 245-50 Kuhmo Victoracer V700's on our 86. It was on stock tires, and stock ride height, though.
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas

SVO's: 86 1C
    Quote Originally Posted by gbeaird View Post
    I think that size tire depends on the brand. IIRC, we used to run 245-50 Kuhmo Victoracer V700's on our 86. It was on stock tires, and stock ride height, though.
    Very true Gene, different brands have slightly different interpretations of the section width, also the shoulder shape (i.e.- square vs rounded) can make a large difference in the clearance as well.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

14 PSI Boost
    Modern Mazda cars use the same wheel pattern as the Probe/MX-6. Just because they don't list the model specifically doesn't mean there aren't wheels available.