SVO's: 1986 7B

AC Clutch Relay Location

Hi Everyone, I'm trying to locate the AC Clutch Relay location. I have looked everywhere. I have to believe some one has had to change this. I know where the Cooling Fan Relay is but I can't find this darn thing. AllData says "at carburetor" obviously not. Any ideas ? Thanks guys

Richard H. Franklin Jr
    Hayesville, NC
    1986 7B

SVO's: 2 - 9Ls
    I believe the stock fan relay was also the clutch relay. When I opened the original unit, there was 2 relays mounted on the circuit board. I think the replacement uses a single double pole relay that cover both the fan and the clutch. The other thing you need to look at is the pressure switch on the dryer. You can jumper it out at the connector to see if low pressure is your issue of why the clutch is not engaging.

If you remove the AC relay that is mounted above your left knee under the dash, you can open it up and pull out the printed circuit board. I had to resolder my relays one time to make it operational. The heat on this relay sometimes make the solder joints fail.
    Last edited by GAboySVO; 04-13-2017 at 04:54 PM.
    Mike S

'86 SVO 9L Leather
    '86 SVO 9L Road Warrior
    '96 300ZXTT

Quote Originally Posted by GAboySVO View Post
    I believe the stock fan relay was also the clutch relay. When I opened the original unit, there was 2 relays mounted on the circuit board. I think the replacement uses a single double pole relay that cover both the fan and the clutch. The other thing you need to look at is the pressure switch on the dryer. You can jumper it out at the connector to see if low pressure is your issue of why the clutch is not engaging.

If you remove the AC relay that is mounted above your left knee under the dash, you can open it up and pull out the printed circuit board. I had to resolder my relays one time to make it operational. The heat on this relay sometimes make the solder joints fail.
    Thanks Mike,
    I found the schematic and traced it. I checked the pressure switch and I also bypassed to the compressor. The pressures are spot on and the AC ice cold. I've ordered a new Relay. I think this should fix it. Here's the schematic I found showing the route.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2337.jpg  

Here's the Relay out of the case. It looks ok. I guess I'll see what the new one does. Also bear in mind this is an aftermarket TRW Relay. Not sure if it makes a difference.

Thanks again Mike.

.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2342.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	254.8 KB 
ID:	45504 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2340.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	231.5 KB 
ID:	45505

Richard H. Franklin Jr
    Hayesville, NC
    1986 7B

Yep, that looks ok. On mine, you could see that the connection points to the PCB were discolored.
    Mike S

'86 SVO 9L Leather
    '86 SVO 9L Road Warrior
    '96 300ZXTT

Quote Originally Posted by GAboySVO View Post
    Yep, that looks ok. On mine, you could see that the connection points to the PCB were discolored.
    Well, after replacing every switch, Relay, I finally found the problem. Sometime many years before me someone played/worked on this part of the harness. The pin had been pulled partially out causing an intermittent connection. I pushed the connector all the way in and presto! Everything is cold again with the compressor cycling again. Chilling the interior down.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2393.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	229.8 KB 
ID:	45506 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2394.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	225.4 KB 
ID:	45507

Richard H. Franklin Jr
    Hayesville, NC
    1986 7B

Glad you found the issue. I had the same thing happen on my fuel pump relay connector under the driver's seat.
    Mike S

'86 SVO 9L Leather
    '86 SVO 9L Road Warrior
    '96 300ZXTT

Thanks Mike, I think I have it dialed in ok. Glen Hall at Hose Wizards was super helpful over the phone. I'm seeing 40 to 41 degrees inside with an outside temp of 77 degrees. Feels pretty chilly in there. According to Glen and all the tables I think I'm good.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2403.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	260.8 KB 
ID:	45508

Richard H. Franklin Jr
    Hayesville, NC
    1986 7B