Just a bit of BOOST

Poor performance from my SVO

Hey everyone, I just picked this '84 SVO last Sunday. It seems to have the mods to transform it into an 86 power wise. I was having an issue where the idle would raise itself while I was driving but I unplugged the IAC and believe that it is what was causing the issue as it went away. I did perform the base idle/TPS reset. Aside from that, the car has very sluggish performance. It will boost to what looks to be around 16psi, but it just doesn't feel fast. I believe I may have tracked down the issue, the injectors are green 36lb units and I tested the impedance and they were at 13. I have read that the SVO needs the low impedance injectors and with the PE computer I have I am going to get a set of browntop 35lb ones. Do you all think this could be the reason for my lack of power? I also received a lot of great advice on what to do on the a social media fan page. I am attaching pictures of the mods so if anyone could tell me what they see mod-wise it would be greatly appreciated. I am looking forward to being a part of this community! My previous car was a heavily modified 1984 Saab 900 Turbo which I loved to death but it was no longer practical to keep. I must say I'm very impressed with the handling of the SVO and love the exhaust note and noises! The car is also running much better then it was last week, I changed the plugs for the correct ones (it had the quad tipped platinum plugs in it).... which seemed to help out a lot!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screen Shot 2017-05-07 at 11.14.26 PM.jpg   Screen Shot 2017-05-07 at 11.14.19 PM.jpg   Screen Shot 2017-05-07 at 11.14.36 PM.jpg   Screen Shot 2017-05-07 at 11.14.45 PM.jpg   Screen Shot 2017-05-07 at 11.14.59 PM.jpg  

Screen Shot 2017-05-07 at 11.15.04 PM.jpg   Screen Shot 2017-05-07 at 11.15.11 PM.jpg   Screen Shot 2017-05-07 at 11.15.19 PM.jpg   Screen Shot 2017-05-07 at 11.15.27 PM.jpg  

SVO's: '86 2R
    And what did you gap those new plugs at? Since you're not new to the turbo world, I'm assuming you know they don't like a lot of gap? Otherwise, I'd start at a check of the running fuel pressure, then probably put a volt/ohm meter on the TPS and VAM to make sure they are working properly.
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas

SVO's: 2 - 9Ls
    I notice a couple of things:

1. Is there an orange ground wire going from the BAP harness on the PS shock tower to the Compressor side of the turbo. If not, it can cause issues with the electronics.

2. It is using an inline intake and a PE ECU, make sure the knock sensor is unplugged. The inline intake has a difference resonance than the square intake that is associated with the PE.

Other things to do:

1. Remove and clean the internals of the IAC and plug it back in.

2. Verify the high idle wasn't caused by a flat spot in the TPS.

3. If the plug wires are of unknown age, replace them with a set of Autolite or Motorcraft units.

4. Verify your base fuel pressure and pressure rises under boost.
    Mike S

'86 SVO 9L Leather
    '86 SVO 9L Road Warrior
    '96 300ZXTT