Thread: My 1986 SVO lives!

4 PSI Boost
    SVO's: 1986 SVO, White

My 1986 SVO lives!

I’ve owned the car since about 1989 but, after having a clutch problem in 2002, she’s sat in the garage waiting to be repaired.

Well after years of plotting and scheming I’ve finally taken the time over this last winter to get her sorted. The car was pretty much stock but I’ve rebuilt the gearbox, installed an Exedy clutch kit, a Tri-Ax shifter, replaced the radiator, timing belt, valve seals, shocks, filters and fuel tank and fitted new tires… Done.. sort of!

Just a few observations.. I thought that the Exedy clutch might be a little lighter than the Motorsport clutch. Nope, just as heavy!

I’d stored the car without doing anything to the gas tank.. After 15 years it was a mess! The fuel pump had dissolved and there wasn’t much left of the sender unit. The injectors were also shot. A replacement tank & pump were picked up on Amazon. Because there were a lot of posts concerning the sender, I went to LMR to get the specific model used in the SVO.

After replacing the tank and blowing out the fuel lines it was obvious that the injectors were in bad shape. I went online looking for the 34/36lbs pieces that I needed and was dismayed that they were only available in packs of eight (who the heck runs a car with 8 cylinders??). Anyway, it suddenly occurred to me that 20 odd years ago I’d bought replacement injectors and that I’d had to buy 8 of them back then. A quick search of the back of some cupboards in the garage and I found 4 brand new injectors!

Anyway, she’s up and running and ready for state inspection. The cooling system still needs to be flushed a couple more times and the brakes will need attention. Many years ago I’d had a caliper seize on me when the car was in regular service and so, after 15 years, I’m sure that one of them is ready to make a nuisance of itself!

It’s amazing how satisfying it is to row through the gears and listen to the whine of the turbo!

Magic!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1246.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	250.5 KB 
ID:	45552

SVO's: 86-1C & 86-1E
    hope those injectors were 35#. The reason you were finding 36# injectors in packs of 8's because those are typically for V8's with high impedance injector configs. SVO's computer is setup for LOW impedance injectors.

if you've got high impedance injectors, you will have some issues, and likely won't pass emissions.

Brakes are a good place to look, get that fluid out and replaced before you get it hot will likely be easier.

remember hoses and such as well,

Goodluck, and keep us updated. Car looks good for sitting for 15 years!
    Eric C
    SVOCA Webmaster

4 PSI Boost
    Eric, Thanks for the feedback. Nope, not the #35! The new injectors I've put in are the Motorsport M-9593-D302. I just pulled the original brown top injectors and measured 2.5ohms. The D302’s are 14.0ohms.
    The car has been running the V8 pieces for a number of years with no emission check issues.
    I'm wondering if the difference in load to the ECU would result in a less efficient opening of the injector with a slower rise time/less open time and so result in less gas? Not sure. The critical issue would probably be a high impedance computer running low impedance injectors. In the audio world running low impedance speakers with a high impedance amplifier can cause carnage.
    I’m down in Houston and the season for non-essential car work is closing fast as the temperature and humidity start to rise! I’ve made a note to return to the brown-tops in the fall if the car survives the summer. I’ll keep you posted on what differences I notice.

SVO's: 86 1C
    Congrats on getting it back on the road again, the car looks mint in the single pic you posted (hint, hint).
    86 SVO 1C

Great to hear another SVO is back out on the road, congrats! Can't beat the feeling of rowing through the 'old school' T5 for sure. Just got my 86 back on the road this past week and loving it as well. Enjoy.

I agree, the high impedance injectors will work with the SVO's EEC without damaging it, just not sure how well from a performance standpoint. You do have some time under your belt with them, so I would think that is decent proof of that. I remember back in the day 5.0L folks dropping our 30 & 35 lb/hr low impedance injectors into their cars and smoking their EEC's, as the driver circuit couldn't handle the lower resistance/higher current they would pull.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

SVO's: '86 2R
    Wow, look at those headlights!! Nice.

Man, I was hoping you had found either a source for injectors, or a place local to us to R&R them, as I'll soon be needing to do that on our 86 after the fuel pump assembly eroded into the gas tank much like yours did. Ours runs, but only on 3-1/2 cylinders, so I'll probably need to clean the injectors soon.
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by gbeaird View Post
    <snip>
    Man, I was hoping you had found either a source for injectors, or a place local to us to R&R them, as I'll soon be needing to do that on our 86 after the fuel pump assembly eroded into the gas tank much like yours did. Ours runs, but only on 3-1/2 cylinders, so I'll probably need to clean the injectors soon.
    Gene, I believe Paul Becker has an injector cleaning machine in his shop (SVPU), if my memory serves me right. I keep meaning to send my spare set to him to clean/balance. In the past, I have used RC Engineering with good results and there is likely a local shop to you that can clean them to. The 'magic' is if they have matching injectors to truly flow match a set for you, most local shops don't have that specific capability though.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

Ted,

Thank you. I'll check with Paul. I still need to get that radiator, but stuff keeps getting in the way.

There actually was a place in Houston that does (did?) that work. They were certified to do BMW injectors, and did a lot of them for the Bimmer crowd. I'll have to check to see if they're still in business, as it's been a few decades since I've used them. I think I used them to clean/balance a set of injectors on one of our RX7s back in the day.
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas

SVO's: 86 1C X2
    Nothing against Paul. I'll remember that the next time I need to get some done.

I've used this place a couple of times for mine. http://cruzinperformance.com/

4 PSI Boost
    Highly recommended company from the folks at the BMW Owners Group..

https://www.injectorrx.com

Quote Originally Posted by 86-TC/SVO View Post
    Nothing against Paul. I'll remember that the next time I need to get some done.

I've used this place a couple of times for mine. http://cruzinperformance.com/
    Paul can certainly get tied up with other projects, just figured I would toss out his name. There are a lot of shops that have that capability and recommendations are certainly appreciated.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

Hmm, that place sounds familiar. I DO remember them to be recommended by a couple of BMW driving friends of mine.

They're local, and almost on the way to and from work. Thanks.
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas