4 PSI Boost

Svo that's behind on maintenance

I have a 1984 mustang svo that has only 32k miles on it and there are quite a bit of issues with it but I have no idea what to do about them I will list them bellow any help will be appreciated:
    My exaust is shot where can I get a new one???
    There are 2 rubber bushings in the front that are tearing they are attached to the control arms
    How can I clean out the air system because I had rats and I need to clean it out and what should I replace as far as rubber on a 33 year old car or what kind of maintenance thanks again for your time I would post pics but I can't figure that out

SVO's: 2 - 9Ls
    To thoroughly clean the AC system, you will need to remove the airbox which requires removing the dash. Do a search here and you should find the how to info that you need.

If you want the stock exhaust, try your local parts store for some Walker parts. If you want to add some upgrades, check out Stinger's site.

I believe the front LCA bushings are no longer available. You will need to search the web for alternatives; however, mine have well over 200K miles and are still going strong. A place you can check is PPI, you may need to call them.

If the car was stoed with gas in the tank, then the fisrt thing to do is remove and replace the fuel tank along with all filters. Next will be to remove and clean the injectors.

If it were mine, I would replace all vacuum hoses, spark plug wires and plugs with Motorcraft parts. Verify fuel pressure at idle and under boost.
    Mike S

'86 SVO 9L Leather
    '86 SVO 9L Road Warrior
    '96 300ZXTT

SVO's: 86-1C & 86-1E
    ANY reputable exhaust/muffler shop should be able to build you something usable.
    If you're looking for aftermarket, Stinger does have some decent exhaust stuff, you should be able to do your own bolt on kit.
    Fair warning, if you're looking to go with dual exhaust, you'll have some fuel pump work to do as well.

http://www.stinger-performance.com/
    Eric C
    SVOCA Webmaster

SVO's: 86 1C
    tuneshooter, welcome to the forums! Sounds like you have some work ahead of you and hopefully we can help you out. As Mike and Eric already mentioned, best bet would be to find a local exhaust shop and see if they can source components or fab you up a system, as I doubt there are any NOS items floating around for the 84 and if there were, they will likely be pricey.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the two bushings you are talking about are the ball joint covers, they always seem to rot/crack. Here is a pic of my stock unit below, not the best angle, but I think you will get it. I replaced mine with a recommended Energy Suspension piece that I feel is too big and have seen better fitting ones available. Can't think of who's they were, but someone on here may chime in.

By 'air system', do you mean the engine's air filter intake or the cabin's air intake in the cowl at the base of the windshield? One is much, much easier than the other. The cabin air system will require dropping the dash to gain access to the heater box. If it has had a nest of any kind in it, then I would strongly suggest removing it to give it a good cleaning, as you don't want any animal remnants stuck in the heater or A/C core.

Mike had good advice on the fuel, ignition and vacuum system. You should be able to assess the vacuum hoses to see if they have any cracks/dry rot in them. Pulling the injectors out and having them cleaned is a good idea as well. Keep at it and you will have it up and running.

As for posting pics, there are limits to the file size, so resizing down to 1024x768 seems to work pretty good with my pics. Go into the "Manage Attachments" below the typing text box when in Advanced mode and it should step you through the process to select and attach the files. If you have any issues, drop me a PM and I can pull together something more detailed. BTW, there are some SVO folks in your general area, hopefully they will speak up here. I am not that far away and could maybe help out if we can schedule something.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ball Joint - Stock OEM_Boot_00.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	120.9 KB 
ID:	45571
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

4 PSI Boost
    Thanks for the help so far guys I'm taking the car over to my neighbors tonight he's a very good mechanic we are probably gonna see what we need to replace tonight and into response to svono50 it Is the heater core where the problem is and here is a picture of the bushing I am talking about also the fuel pump buzzes and I saw that you guys suggest I get a new fuel pump where would I find one for this car. I know I'm adding more information but this car also burns oil like no tommorow and I can't figure out why. a little on the history of the car though this car is my dads car he is the first owner of the car and it has been in our family since it was new every year he stored it with fuel stabilizer he just didn't drive it much and now he has left it to me as a project to work on (he's still alive)I will also post a picture of the car as well I just kinda feel in love with this car as a kid and I want it to get the care it deserves Attachment 45574
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_6762.jpg  

SVO's: 2 - 9Ls
    Oil burning could be a few things:

1. Turbo Seals gone - ie continuous blue smoke with a big cloud under acceleration

2. Valve Stem seals shot - blue smoke at start up and under deceleration.

3. PCV valve dead or dirty - Replace only with Motorcraft unit.

Check these first.
    Mike S

'86 SVO 9L Leather
    '86 SVO 9L Road Warrior
    '96 300ZXTT

SVO's: 86-1C & 86-1E
    I wouldn't replace the fuel pump if it's just buzzing -- that's actually a good thing.
    84's (and 85's too) have 2 fuel pumps, one in-tank, and one in-line.
    Most people that need to replace the fuel pumps (either in-tank or external) replace both pumps with a single, in-tank pump from the new 86-up style
    Eric C
    SVOCA Webmaster