12 PSI Boost

Bell Housing / Clutch Set-Up

I would like to get rid of the dog bone on my car. Has anyone ever tried installing the bell housing, clutch master cylinder and slave cylinder from a Turbo T Bird into an SVO? If "yes", what problems did you have to overcome? Or are there parts from other models of Mustangs which allow you to eliminate the dog bone? My engine & tranny are out of the car so now is a good time to make a change.

SVO's: 86-1C & 86-1E
    personally I'd rather deal with the dog-bone, and keep the real clutch feel, than switch to hydraulic.

Why are you so interested in getting rid of the dog-bone ?

I've got 3 SVO's and have only replaced 1 dog-bone in the last 20 years... not to say I don't have spares..
    Eric C
    SVOCA Webmaster

12 PSI Boost
    This is my first SVO. With very little drive time I've already had one dog bone break. Laying in the gravel on the side of a two lane country road changing a dog bone is not my idea of fun. I used to race cars with a clutch hydraulic slave cylinder and I don't remember the clutch feel being any worse than my SVO's clutch feel. Plus, the slave cylinder set up was very reliable.

SVO's: 2 - 9Ls
    What is more important to replace in the clutch system than the dog bone cable is the stock bearing retainer on the T5. The original one was aluminum and would gall over time causing additional strain on the dog bone. I broke one back in 2001 due to the fore mentioned retainer issue. Haven't had an issue since replacing the retainer. I like the full cast iron unit from Jegs as you don't have to worry about the steel sleeve coming loose from the aluminum portion. It happened to mine.

There was a guy on hear from Nashville, I think, that posted here about is upgrade to hydraulic. It may be in the project zone forum.
    Mike S

'86 SVO 9L Leather
    '86 SVO 9L Road Warrior
    '96 300ZXTT

Racing is a different kind of driving than street-driving. If racing were what you were doing, I would say go hyrdaulic, so you can get a higher-clamping force pressure-plate, without breaking your leg trying to push it in. IF you're running a stage 3 clutch (heavy pressure) I'd say it would be a good idea to switch to hydraulic setup.
    Hydraulic clutches have a very different feel to them, and I'm not especially fond of it myself for street driving, but I guess that's personal preference.

To match your story, I have 3 SVO's 2 of which get driven pretty regularly. and I've never broken a dog-bone (do have one in the glove-box, along with a TFI)

I've seen 2 things that cause dog-bone failures, and in both scenarios, the dog-bone is acting as a fuse, and doing you a favor by popping. (breaking a $10 dogbone, vs a $30 main cable)
    1 -- a ridge on the transmission bearing retainer (that the throw-out bearing slides on) Even replacing with hydraulic components, it's just going to induce a failure elsewhere if this is the case.
    2 -- this one isn't so obvious.. The ground strap between the body and the transmission isn't attached. voltage, does what voltage does, and finds the next best place to ground... through the cable. the dog-bone gets hot, and basically melts the ends off.

I'm just saying, a dog-bone setup with the issues fixed, is just as reliable as a hydraulic setup.

The switch to hydraulic shouldn't be overly complicated. You'l need a bell-housing from an 87-88 TC, as the SVO don't have a place for the cylinder to mount.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	88tc-bell.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	155.8 KB 
ID:	45607

Not sure what needs to be done under the dash. the pedal assembly may need to be changed, as it looks like the shaft don't go all the way through on the TC, as it does on the SVO.
    Eric C
    SVOCA Webmaster

found pics of the pedal assembly from TC and SVO... think it would have to change...

TC has a hole, and a rubber bushing

Name:	tc_brake_side.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	66.8 KB 
ID:	45608

SVO has just the plastic gear

Name:	SVO_brake_side.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	61.6 KB 
ID:	45609
    Eric C
    SVOCA Webmaster

12 PSI Boost
    Thanks for the information. I checked the bearing retainer and it has the start of a ridge where the back of the throw out bearing rides. I have a cast iron retainer on order.

For now the car has a bunch of other items which I can spend money on to get it in good running condition so I'm going to hold off on the T Bird parts. But at some point I might still do the swap to the T Bird set-up just for the fun of trying it. I was aware the T Bird bell had a mount for the slave cylinder. That's one of the things that's kind of appealing about trying a swap. Back in the day, the worst part of running a hydraulic clutch was positioning the slave and fabricating the bracket.

Thanks again for the info!