Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    6 PSI Boost

Reunion 2017 Autocross with The Peachtree Chapter BMW CCA!

Hi Y'all,

I'm the Autocross Chairman with the Peachtree Chapter BMW Car Club of America. We're looking forward to SVOCA folks coming out to participate (or spectate) with us on October 1st!

Registration for the autocross will be via MotorsportReg (MSR), which is our official (and only) method of registration and payment. If you intend to participate, please sign up for an account at http://peachtreebmwcca.motorsportreg.com/. Registration will open the weekend of September 2/3 and will close on September 30th at 6 p.m. (the evening before the event).

Full information on the event particulars will be available at the event registration page when registration is opened, but here are a few things that are important to understand (for both participants and spectators). Many of these items are negative/prohibitory in nature, but are essential for the event to run smoothly and safely:

• SVO participants will have their own event class!
    • There is no on-site registration. If you intend to participate, you must register via MSR and you can set up your MSR account now. There is no spectator registration.
    • The venue is Atlanta Motor Speedway (AMS), which is ~15 miles from your host hotel. In particular, it's the Champions Parking Lot. I've attached an annotated map of the lot and allowable parking areas. If you park in the "EV Participant Parking," you will be charged $5, even if your vehicle is not an Electric Vehicle or you do not hook to electricity. There will also be an "Accident Avoidance" event going on in the eastern-most part of what's annotated as the east parking area -- we are not associated with them and expect that area to be cordoned-off.
    • AMS does not allow the use of drones or motorized personal conveyances (such as Segways, hoverboards, any scooters).
    • Everyone who is on-site and ventures out of the parking areas must sign legal waivers on-site (one for us, one for AMS), and if there are any folks under the age of 18, a legal guardian will have to sign a "Minor Waiver" (which will be available both on-site and online during registration).
    • The only facilities that you should expect to be available will be one or two porta-potties. There will be no concessions, seating, or access to the track/infield. If you are a participant, once you're there, you're there for the duration -- there will be no lunch break or any opportunity to leave the area for refreshments/lunch. We will have free bottled water on hand, but if you want anything past that, you need to bring it. Spectators are free to come and go as they please as long as they do not disrupt the event.
    • Sign-in opens at 9 a.m., ends at 10 a.m., and the event will run until about 4 p.m. Thus, if you need to check out of a hotel, you will need to do so before you come to the venue. The area is very safe and there are no random people wandering around, so it's safe to leave your stuff out at the venue while you participate. If you are participating, you must be at the venue and signed-in (or at least in line to sign-in) by 10 a.m. in order to participate -- no exceptions will be allowed. Participants must stay for the duration, even if they have already gotten their runs in, as all participants must also work the course -- please consider this if you need to be on the road home before about 4 p.m.
    • Photography by spectators (but not participants) is allowed from the periphery of the grid/course.
    • Participants who are experienced autocrossers will be allowed to take passengers. "Experienced" is subjective, but as a general guideline, I require six (6) documented events within the last couple of years; even if you are "experienced," demonstrating severe lack of skill or awareness will be taken into account. Novices will only be able to take Peachtree Chapter instructors with them, and if it's a participant's first autocross ever it is mandatory to take a Peachtree Chapter instructor on the first two runs.
    • No alcohol or illegal drug consumption is allowed on-site. Being obviously under the influence precludes your participation. Hangovers are OK, though.

Spectating is free. Participation is either $45 or $65. For folks who are already BMW CCA members (yes, there are many non-BMW owners who are BMW CCA members), the event price is $45. A regular single-year BMW CCA membership is $48, which would normally mean that it'd be $93 for non-members to sign up and participate in one autocross, but we have a special for non-members: a year membership and a single autocross for $65. Because we obtain our event insurance from the national BMW CCA and their rules mandate the insurance is for members only, we cannot get around this requirement -- you must either already be a member or become one via the $65 option (no exceptions will be granted for this, so don't even ask).

You can participate even if you're not driving an SVO or a BMW! About half of our regular participants are in non-BMWs. The SVO class for this event will not require anyone driving an SVO to go through the classification spreadsheet, but anyone not driving an SVO will have to do so and then select the appropriate class. Additionally, if you're local (or semi-local), our next event is on September 10th, which you are welcome to attend as a spectator or as a participant (although we will not have an SVO class for that event). As with the October 1st event, registration will open via MSR about one month in advance.

If you have any questions not covered above, I'll be glad to answer them. Since much more stuff is covered in the registration process, it's likely your question will be answered during that process, so I'll probably answer any of those questions with something along the lines of "That will be covered during registration" (or I will post the registration document covering the question).

We'll see Y'all in October!

- Shawn
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ams_with_areas.jpg  
    Last edited by Shawn_D; 07-20-2017 at 10:06 AM.

SVO's: 84 custom, 86 1D
    Shawn,
    Do you follow the same rules as SCCA? Are SA2005 and M2005 helmets acceptable?
    Thanks,
    Dave

6 PSI Boost
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave S View Post
    Shawn,
    Do you follow the same rules as SCCA? Are SA2005 and M2005 helmets acceptable?
    Thanks,
    Dave
    Dave,

Thanks for asking. We do not follow the SCCA rulebook, so they won't be the same, but many would be substantially similar -- I'd need to know which rules we're talking about.

As for helmet requirements, 2005-rated helmets were no longer allowed as of 2017. The BMW CCA Operations Manual says:

Snell Rated Helmets. Either Snell SA (Special Applications, e.g. racing) or Snell M (motorcycle)
    helmets may be used. Chapters may at their discretion choose to require the more stringent SA rating for
    high speed events such as Driving Schools.

These helmets must be rated to either:

a) The current or immediate prior Snell Memorial Foundation SA or M standards, or

b) The second prior Snell standard, for a grace period extending through the end of the calendar year
    following the nominal year of a newly issued standard. (This is intended to allow sufficient time for
    helmets meeting the most recent standard to become generally available for purchase to replace these
    older helmets.)

Example:
    If the current standard is Snell 2010, then helmets meeting either Snell 2010 or the prior 2005
    standard are always allowed. In addition, Snell 2005 helmets may be used through the grace period until
    the end of calendar 2016.

If folks do not have an allowable helmet, we have rental helmets available.
    The cost is $10 and we hold on to your driver's license until you turn in the helmet. All of our previous rental helmets were 2005-rated, so the whole set is new as of this year. All of the rental helmets are G-Force GF1 Open Face models, in sizes S-XL (one each of S and XL, three each of M and L).

- Shawn

SVO's: 84 custom, 86 1D
    Shawn,
    Thanks for the information. I was able to find the BMW CCA Operations Manual online and have a few more questions.
    On the inspection form the statement "Tires: 3/32” minimum tread, DOT approved, H rated or higher, all 4 of similar/appropriate size and type in at the bottom of the form" exists in the section FOR CHAPTER STAFF USE ONLY – OPTIONAL, ON-SITE TECH INSPECTION CHECKLIST. Because of this statement, I have to ask will Hoosier A7 tires (DOT approved, but racing slicks) be allowed?
    Can drivers wear short pants and short sleeves?
    Thanks in advance,
    Dave
    Odd, when I took my avitar picture I owned the black SVO...now I own the blue SVO.

6 PSI Boost
    On the inspection form the statement "Tires: 3/32” minimum tread, DOT approved, H rated or higher, all 4 of similar/appropriate size and type in at the bottom of the form" exists in the section FOR CHAPTER STAFF USE ONLY – OPTIONAL, ON-SITE TECH INSPECTION CHECKLIST. Because of this statement, I have to ask will Hoosier A7 tires (DOT approved, but racing slicks) be allowed?
    Note the word "OPTIONAL." The Peachtree Chapter allows any tires which are safe and are appropriate for autocross. By "safe," I mean no obvious damage, not corded (or otherwise worn past the discernible tread layer), not seriously rubbing/scraping on any part of the car, and most definitely not installed in the "stance" style (over-stretched, e.g. a 205 on a 9" wide wheel). By "appropriate for autocross," you can't be running something like a classic drag combo of narrow front tires and wrinkle-wall slicks, but most non-dangerous tires would still be OK even if far from optimal (e.g. 165SR15s on a Porsche 914).

We do not have a specific item-by-item checklist, but our inspectors know what to look for and are allowed to use their judgement (and aren't capricious). Overall, if the car is safe for autocross, we allow the vehicle. Some examples of "unsafe" would be non-trivial fluid leakage, doors/hoods that won't stay shut, bad drivetrain mounts, non-secured battery, inoperable/missing seatbelts, non-secured seats, etc.

Can drivers wear short pants and short sleeves?
    Yes. No sandals/flip-flops, please. If I had my way, I'd ban flip-flops from anywhere that isn't the beach, but I'm only the Autocross Chairman for my chapter, not World Dictator.

- Shawn

6 PSI Boost
    For you local(ish) folks, the next event on September 10th is open for registration if you'd like to come out: http://msreg.com/2017-AX4

6 PSI Boost
    Registration is now open, folks!

msreg.com/2017-AX5

SVO's: 86 1C
    Shawn, finally signed up, sorry for the delay.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

6 PSI Boost
    Quote Originally Posted by svono50 View Post
    Shawn, finally signed up, sorry for the delay.
    Thanks, Ted!

I see you have a Cooper, which to the BMW CCA is a BMW, so you should look up your local chapter and see what they have going on.

Sounds like I registered correctly then. Yep, have had the macro-Mini since last December, fun car despite the size compared to a 'normal' Cooper and certainly a lot of BMW dna in it. I know the Chicago region BMW CCA is quite active, so I will have to see what they have going on.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

6 PSI Boost
    I know the Chicago region BMW CCA is quite active, so I will have to see what they have going on.
    Yep, they're a great chapter.

SVO's: 86-1C & 86-1E
    Mini's at an auto-x is like cheating, like bringing a go-cart

Brake work hopefully to finish today, if that works, I'll register today
    Eric C
    SVOCA Webmaster

Quote Originally Posted by SVOeric View Post

<snip>
    Yep, like the time in KY when the one MINI on his street tires with his trailer attached carrying his race tires beat our 'best' time on the course during a lunchtime 'fun run'...that was humbling to say the least! Now my Clubman is not a 'light' MINI in any case, as it weighs more than my SVO...but it does have AWD, a better suspension, an 8-spd tranny and peak torque at 1250rpm to help compensate. It will get a day on track in 2018, so it will be interesting to see how it does.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

6 PSI Boost
    Quote Originally Posted by SVOeric View Post
    That's true if you have a driver who knows how to use one! With our chapter's classification scheme, stock "S" and John Cooper Works (JCW) MINIs are in C Class with my moderately-modified '86 535i and so far I've always beaten them, which one would not necessarily expect. My advantage is experience, but I know I'm leaving time on the table -- when one of our best drivers did a couple of "fun runs" in my 535i once, he was dealing with a car a decade older and much slower than what he normally runs, but he beat me in my own car by 1.5 seconds!

Yep, like the time in KY when the one MINI on his street tires with his trailer attached carrying his race tires beat our 'best' time on the course during a lunchtime 'fun run'...that was humbling to say the least!
    Have you ever seen this article? https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/ar...-moms-revenge/

SVO's: 86-1C & 86-1E
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn_D View Post
    LOL I'd not seen that one... Pretty funny
    Eric C
    SVOCA Webmaster