Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new guy with an 84

new guy with an 84

Hello everyone

On a Canadian Mustang forum around Xmas time last year a new person to the forum advertised an 84 for sale about 90 minutes away from me. He'd owned it since 1986, it had just under 70,000 km which is about 45,000 miles, and said it was a Comp Prep car. I went for a look and it was a decent survivor car with a few dings and scratches and evidence of a repaint on the right side door before his ownership. Turned out to be an option delete car since it had an AM/FM radio, but nothing else. It had never been driven in the snow, basically just a summer toy for him. He was getting older and not driving it so much, and his son was not interested in taking over ownership of it. For that time of year in southern Ontario it was a decent day for weather when I looked at it so I did have the opportunity to take it for a short drive, and I was very impressed with how tight and solid the car felt, not a worn out turd like many Foxes are these days. The seller realized that it wasn't a good time to trying to move along a hobby car in our climate, and I took a gamble and said that I'd check back with him in the spring to see if it was still available.

Spring came around finally so I emailed him to inquire about coming for a better look at it if still for sale. He responded that it was, however while having it at a shop to get a section of the exhaust repaired it was noticed that the turbo had a small oil leak. The seller is a fairly competent "backyard mechanic" so he decided to tackle the repair in his garage at home. To shorten the story, between being very thorough to source out the rebuild parts, and a vacation to Europe with his wife interrupting things, he only just got it put back together last weekend. So today I went down for a good look with my best friend of 35 years who has also been a Fox owner many times over. We took a dealer plate (I'm the parts manager at a medium sized Ford / Lincoln / SVT store here in southern Ontario) and a wad of cash in case a deal could be made. On the test drive again the car impressed, the Konis make the car so much nicer than the crap shocks that came in the 5.0 cars back in the day. Red Konis were one of the 1st mods I made to to my old 87, and I still remember how much they transformed the ride and handling.

To sum up, I ended up driving home in a nice silver 84 that just rolled over 70,000 km while we were out on the test drive. I'll post some pics when I get some and figure out where to upload them since Photobucket went full retard a few weeks back. In the meantime you guys have all seen enough original paint silver 84s that you can imagine what it looks like! Selling price was $5750 CAN, which I think is fair considering the overall condition of the car and the relatively low mileage. NADA Classic Car value site is showing $5100 for an 84 in average condition.

Plans are to lower it a bit (I have some late SN95 front control arms and Mach I springs hanging around), get some of the very basic subframe connectors installed, and maybe a set of BBS RS mesh style wheels or something else "period correct" to put on. Not looking to do anything that changes the character of the car or can't be easily undone. A friend who's been playing with 2.3Ts for a long time has the later injectors and VAM kicking around, I'd just have to come up with a later EEC module to match. I do some coaching at HPDEs at Mosport and sometimes Watkins Glen so this car will see a bit of track time, but in that setting I'm careful enough to be pretty gentle on it. I also do some Chumpcar racing, so that's my outlet when I feel the need to push harder on track.

Thanks to the people here who've posted good threads and answered others' questions that came up when I did a search on various topics while digging for more info on these special cars. Being a Ford parts guy back to that era I am pretty familiar with everything that was different and unique on these, but it's also nice to see what issues and fixes people have come up with over the years as these cars age long past their intended time on the road as Ford produced them. Also I would be glad to help with any OEM part number lookups to assist people with obsolete part searches or to use as a cross-reference, in case you don't already have a resident Ford parts department connection.

cheers

Ed Nicholson

Caledon Ontario Canada

SVO's: 86 1C
    Welcome to the forums Ed, looking forward to your own project thread (hint, hint).

The VAF is the same across all SVO's (i.e.- large one), so you will need to upgrade your EEC or play with your fuel pressure to compensate for the larger injectors. One other tip, the 'inline' intake flows the same CFM as the 'square' intake on the later models, so no need to change that out if you feel the need.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

SVO's: 2 - 9Ls
    Welcome. Good luck with your new purchase. We prefer uploading pictures here as opposed to upload sites like photobucket. Use the advance post feature to add photos to your post.
    Mike S

'86 SVO 9L Leather
    '86 SVO 9L Road Warrior
    '96 300ZXTT

Thanks guys. Looking at the calibration parts lists across the 3 years I see that the later cars still used the E4 number VAF, I was thinking that was upgraded with the larger injectors and revised EEC calibration. I'll certainly be on the hunt for the later EEC module if going with the bigger sprayers. Good to know about the intake as well, I was wondering about that.

We got the car up on a hoist for the provincial safety certificate inspection, does need some brake work as expected but that's fine. Always nice to have fresh binders on for track day usage. Also order a set of wheels that I can put some better rubber on, a supplier up here in Canada (well sort of, in Quebec) had these on clearout for $85 each wholesale cost on a 16x8" +35 offset. Reasonably light at 18 lbs. per corner. I have some old Toyo RA1 225/50R16 skins hanging around that I can use with them.

https://www.canadawheels.ca/image/da...les-Big)-B.jpg

Those are some pretty good looking wheels and the offset is perfect for the 8" width, that is what I am running on my 17x8" rims. I think that weight is the same as my TSW's as well, which is lighter than stock by a few pounds. I am sure if there is some life left in those RA1's you should have some fun and put some decent work in to the brakes.

Pic of Canadian Wheel rim if the link dies:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F198-Exploit-Matte-Black-Machined-Lip-(5-holes-Big)-B.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	109.6 KB 
ID:	45630
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

So here are a few pics uploaded directly to the site. 1st and 2nd are from the seller's driveway before I got it, 3rd is at home with the new to me ARE 398 wheels and Bridgestone rubber bolted on that I got off eBay last month.

Name:	01 drivers side.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	166.8 KB 
ID:	45741Click image for larger version. 

Name:	05 interior driver side.JPG 
Views:	25 
Size:	243.1 KB 
ID:	45742Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1726.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	256.6 KB 
ID:	45743
    Last edited by fast Ed; 10-02-2017 at 04:18 PM. Reason: grammar
    84 SVO 1E, option delete 11/83 prod.
    95 Jaguar XJR, also boosted

SVO's: 2 - 9Ls
    Looks good.
    Mike S

'86 SVO 9L Leather
    '86 SVO 9L Road Warrior
    '96 300ZXTT

Those wheels look great, nice catch on those as I think those are out of production now. Copy of the BBS mesh style are always great looking in my book. Now you need to get some lowering springs on there to get the 'truck' look taken care of. Pretty clean car from the pics.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

Yes those ARE wheels are long gone as a new item, and they are a proper multi-piece lightweight wheel which is nice. Seller only had 3 caps for them, have to come up with another. I've seen a few on eBay but the price is a bit crazy.

We're probably going to have a go at the springs this weekend. Will try the Mach I springs that I had asked about in a separate thread, and if those don't bring it down much I have some old Apex front springs as a backup that I got cheap from a local Fox owner friend who had converted to coilovers. The huge fender gap has been bugging the heck out of me.

thx,
    Ed

Keep hunting on the center caps, someone will end up selling some for a reasonable price. Post up some pics when you get the springs sorted out, looking forward to it.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

An update to this thread from last year. I found some centre caps for the ARE wheels over the winter, and will be keeping those wheels for now. But then I also spotted these a few months ago being offered by an Internet seller of JDM wheels and parts out of Hong Kong.

They are Stern Face II 17" wheels, 8" +33 front and 9" +38 rear. The Saleen SA10 special edition cars had a version of these, different offset on the front of course. The rear fender lips will have to be rolled once I lower the car a bit more, still haven't dealt with that. The 03 Cobra front springs we put in last fall took maybe 1/2" at most out of the ride height. Tires are Firestone Firehawk Indy 500, 225/45R17 and 245/40R17.

Name:	IMG_2211.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	233.8 KB 
ID:	46089

Those Stern's are a nice addition to your SVO!

I think they look better than the ARE's you posted previously.
    86 SVO 1C

Those look sweet on your ride, nice catch!
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

Figured that I would post an update on my 84, actually haven't done much with the car this year so far other than to enjoy driving it ... I've added about 3,500 km since buying it the middle of last summer. As previously posted, got the 17" Stern wheels on in the spring, receiving lots of positive comments about those. Also replaced the cracked inner R/S front lamp with a repro that the Mustang Shop in Calgary happened to have on the shelf, and swapped in a set of Bosch H4 conversion lights that were gifted by a friend. They previously lived in the 84 VW GTI he owned when I first met him back in the late 1980s as I got started in Solo and Solo II with my 87 5.0L LX.

Yesterday my buddy Stu and I tackled the droopy headliner by taking it down, brushing off the foam in between, and regluing. Didn't turn out perfect, we ended up with a few wrinkles, but much better than having it hanging down on the one side. It had gotten worse from when I'd bought the car after lots of windows-down drives with the warm weather we've been experiencing here in southern Ontario.

On the Monday of the Canada Day weekend (Sunday was our July 1 holiday, so July 2 was a statutory work holiday for most people including myself), I was at the local track for an annual event called "Mustangs at Mosport" put on by one of the area clubs. It's been running for about 15 years, and when I can get the day off I try to attend to help coach some of the rookies. It's not a proper HPDE, just a lapping day where they have coaches ride with the newbies for at least the first session to try to keep them safe. On a big fast track like Mosport it's maybe not the best approach, but better than throwing them out there with no help at all. I always encourage the local people who are thinking about doing this event to try to get to an HPDE at a less daunting track first to get a feel for it.

Anyway, the coaches get to drive in the advanced group at this one, so I did a few gentle laps in the SVO on my street tires. The Firestones that I put on the Stern wheels are great performers, they are based on a Bridgestone carcass and do very well for the price. Because I had already been at the track all weekend for Chumpcar racing (2 hours in a fire suit is tough when it's 90+ degrees and humid), I wasn't too concerned about trying to get a lot of laps in the SVO. So I didn't bother bring along the dedicated track rubber, just enjoyed the car as it was. Of course the turbo engine didn't like the excessive heat, especially on the long uphill back straight which is like a huge dyno pull, but the car felt good, can definitely notice the nimbleness of the front end compared to the 5.0L Fox that I used to race there. A friend got one decent shot of the car coming around corner 5 which leads on to the back straight. Any of you northern U.S. folks east of the Mississippi that do track days, this place should really be on your bucket list to check out. As Tommy Kendall said recently while covering the IMSA race, "if you don't get proper scared at least 4 times a lap around Mosport then you're not going fast enough". LOL I can certainly attest to that from my younger days when sprint racing there in the 5.0!

Name:	IMG_2674_CC_1300 resize.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	210.8 KB 
ID:	46165

cheers
    Ed

SVO's: 86 2R
    Quote Originally Posted by fast Ed View Post
    A friend got one decent shot of the car coming around corner 5 which leads on to the back straight.
    That's one sweet action shot! Thanks for keeping us updated, keep the news coming...
    "If there's no plan, what can go wrong...?"