Thread: Texas flooding...

SVO's: 86 1C

Texas flooding...

I hope you folks down in SE Texas are all OK with the current flooding from Harvey!?! I saw on a report that Pearland, TX has had just over 20" of rain already...Gene, you on high ground??
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

SVO's: '86 2R
    Ted,

Sorry, just saw this one! Too busy bailing water, I guess. :-)

We got 56" of rain, all total, but luckily, and I do mean lucky, we only got about 1/4" in the house, and then it was just in the rooms around the front of the house. The water came in through the weep holes in the bottom course of brick. Kind of funny that when the water receded, the water went BACK out those same weep holes, in all but one room.

Many years ago, because of our dogs, we replaced _most_ of the carpet in the house with a vinyl product that looks like real wood planks, and is actually made for kennels and commercial floors. They said that we'd never have to worry about anything coming in over the floor, just seepage up from underneath. It proved it's worth here. We did have water soak the carpet in the dining room (why we never did that room is beyond me), so the first 'repair' we did was to put the same flooring down in that room, so we don't have to worry about cutting and rolling wet carpet.

So here it is the first week of December, and we still have missing drywall and insulation on several walls. It took about that long to get the wood dry enough to cover again (need <12%). We plan to install insulation tomorrow, and do some other things to prep for the drywall. I doubt the drywall will go in until probably Christmas time, but that's how things will work out between our jobs and vacations and such.

We got a little water in the shop, and it looked like most of it blew in under the base of the walls. It was, again, just enough to mess up your day, but no real property damage. We did throw out a LOT of wet cardboard boxes, but that was something I had been planning to do for a while.

So yeah, we got some water, just enough to scare the crap out of you when it's coming in at 11 at night, but overall, we're very blessed that that was all. We saw horror stories on the TV of people completely flooded out, some for the third or forth time. Heck, my office building was shut down for almost a month, and they're still having issues. Near my office is the Houston BP campus, and they said those buildings wouldn't reopen until after the first of the year!! =8-0
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas

SVO's: 86 1C
    No problem Gene, figured your postings here and on CC's Glad to hear you didn't go belly up on either your house or toys, that was some crazy stuff you guys went and are still going through. I have to say I am just fine dodging the occasional tornado around here in lieu of dealing with anything like a hurricane.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

SVO's: '86 2R
    Well, at least with a hurricane, you know they’re coming. And the ‘normal’ rain, and expected wind speed expected form a storm that comes ashore 500 miles south of you are really no biggie. It’s the tropical storms that drop in for a visit and won’t freaking leave are the ones that will tear you a new one.

This is one made TS Allison look lame, but that storm took out several of the large hospitals in the medical center. Places like Herman, Methodist, and Baylor were almost put out of business because of the flooding from Allison. But because of Allison they weathered Harvey well. I mean, who knew that putting your generators on some other than the ground floor or basement was a good thing, and putting water-tight flood gates in your basement corridors is a smart expense?!?

But out this really was a BAD rain event. It has everyone here rethinking their risk mitigation processes, even homeowners.
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas