Thread: Rear Main Seal

Just a bit of BOOST

Question Rear Main Seal

Looking to replace the rear main seal on my 86 SVO myself to save some money. Read some feedback on different forums that there's still a possibility the leak will reappear even with the new seal. Has anyone else accomplished this feat and still have a leak afterwards? The current seal is leaking enough that it's a constant annoyance. Thanks

SVO's: 86 1C
    I replaced mine on my SVO and a former 80 2.3L and never had any issues. Not sure what folks are talking about on other forums. You just need to make sure you tap in the new seal nice and flat/square and you shouldn't have any leaks. Only time it will have issues is if you 'tweak' the metal ring on the seal tapping it in or don't seat it flat/square into the block. Slowly tap around the seal in a circular pattern to get the seal most of the way in, then use a flat metal block to finish putting it down into the block. The metal block will stop pushing the seal in when it contacts the block and if you do this around the entire perimeter, you are in nice and flat/square.

To get the old seal out without damaging either the crank snout or block inset, a good trick is to drill 2-3 small pilot holes in the old seal's metal face of the ring and partially run in 2-3 sheet metal screws, then use the heads to pry the seal out of the block, very easy and quick. Don't use 'bit-tip' style sheetmetal screws, use the pointed versions, also known as 'zippy' screws (pictured below). Good luck.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zippy screw.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	70.3 KB 
ID:	45702
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

4 PSI Boost
    SVO's: 1986 SVO, White
    When I was replacing the clutch on my car last winter I noticed that my rear seal was weeping. A video post on FaceTube talked about using a Microsleeve repair sleeve over the crank to ensure an improved sealing surface. These are made by Silver Seal Products, Inc. However, in the rush to get everything sorted I opted for a Fel-Pro equivalent that I could buy locally. I have no idea if these sleeves really work but, with a few hundred miles on the car, so far, so good! As Ted says, installation is straight forward but proceed with care.

SVO's: 2 - 9Ls
    It's my experience that the leak at the rear seal is not actually the seal, but is the grove that is in the block where the bear cap seats. If you clean it good with brake clean,you can use ultra gray silicone to seal up those areas around the seal that are prone to leaking. It will also work on the oil pan hump which is also another place prone to oil leaks.
    Mike S

'86 SVO 9L Leather
    '86 SVO 9L Road Warrior
    '96 300ZXTT

SVO's: 86 1C
    Phil, glad to hear you had a successful install! I have been running a Fel-Pro rear main seal for many moons without any leaks (knocking on wood), hopefully you will have the same results.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4