6 PSI Boost

1986 Mustang SVO Turbo/Supercharger (Engineering Senior Project)

Hi, I'm new to the SVOCA community I am an engineering student and I am going to use my Jalapeno Red 1986 SVO for my senior design project. This project will consist of the combination of a turbocharger and a supercharger with the goal of improving volumetric efficiency. Basically, both power adders will work together to eliminate each other's draw backs and mimic the behavior of a larger naturally aspirated engine. I will be using the Gnari performance turbo kit because it is a pretty complete kit, it is designed to be a direct bolt on to our cars. I am going to be modifying it to adapt the super charger to the kit Shaun has given me great customer service and is being a great help with this project providing me with all the components I am going to be needing to make this happen. As a Engineer I have been working on the design and all the analysis for some time now in order to insure that this innovative concept will work if you are interested please follow along in our journey we will be posting pictures, data, and results of our progress as it all comes together. Along the way I will also be reviewing the overall built quality and reliability of the Gnari Performance turbo kit.

SVO's: 1C, 9L & 85GT
    What Computer are you going to use to control all this, coupled with I imagine EGT and Fuel sensors at what Boost?
    1 Modded, 1 Not

SVO's: 86 1E
    Here you go, redneck engineering at its finest.

https://www.ranger-forums.com/sohc-2...wn-2-3l-54522/
    Last edited by TheViking; 10-09-2017 at 01:44 PM.
    86 SVO 1E, not stock. MM&FF May 2010
    2012 Mustang GT, also not stock.

SVO's: 86 1C
    Sounds like a very cool senior project, cooler than my integrated jacking system. Would be great to see your progress through the build and will likely move this into the 'project' forum.

That Ranger is certainly a bit of redneck, could have packaged it a bit better unless you were looking to use a spare Pro-Mod hood scoop. This project is more on the lines of the recent 2.0L engine Volvo engine that came onto the scene a couple of years ago:

http://wardsauto.com/10-best-engines...l-turbosuper-4

Good luck and let us know if you have any questions...not sure if we can help, but always worth a shot.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

12 PSI Boost
    Sounds interesting for sure. What model / type of supercharger are you thinking of? Something with a clutched pulley that can be controlled by the ECU like Mercedes has used?

cheers
    Ed
    84 SVO 1E, option delete 11/83 production
    95 Jaguar XJR -- also a boosted car!

6 PSI Boost
    @kiwi we are going to be installing a stand alone ECU to control all of this including the electro magnetic clutch in the supercharger

- - - Updated - - -

@fast Ed you have done your HW we are using a Mercedes supercharger with a clutch and we are going to be controlling it with our stand alone ECU

- - - Updated - - -

We are currently preparing for our midterm presentation we will be posting pictures and videos soon...

12 PSI Boost
    Definitely looking forward to hearing about the results. I've owned a few Eaton-supercharged cars including my current Jag XJR, so I'm familiar with many of the variations that the OEMs used.

cheers
    Ed
    84 SVO 1E, option delete 11/83 production
    95 Jaguar XJR -- also a boosted car!

14 PSI Boost
    SVO's: 84 1C
    Yep it's called "compounding" pretty cool stuff. Definitely interested in seeing your project come to light. Not sure how well it will work on a small engine but interested to see the results. Good luck. Post lots O' pics for these gear heads.....

12 PSI Boost
    Volvo is getting good numbers out of their "twin charged" 2.0L 4 that's used in a few vehicles now, it was a Wards Best Engine winner last year.