Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    12 PSI Boost

New 1985 SVO in Las Vegas

Hello. I have owned / modified several Mustangs but I can't tell you how thrilled I am to own one of these little gems: 1985; white; 59K; almost stock (K&N cone, Magnaflow muffler) and well cared for. My plans are to basically keep it stock, RR some suspension bits and drive it like it should be. I will enter the registry shortly. As a long time member of the Corral and Corner Carvers sites I look forward to learning from you and sharing tech where possible. I will be dredging up some old posts shortly.
    1985 SVO
    1986-045 Saleen Mustang Griggs GR40, 408W RDI aluminum block, AFR 205, T56
    1999 BMW M Coupe

SVO's: 86 1C
    Welcome Curt, glad to have you here! Sounds like you got a great unit there, certainly light on the miles and appears to have had an easy life. Let us know your questions and hopefully we can help you come up to speed on this unique model. I too have been a long-time lurker/member of CC and the old RRAX list server.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

SVO's: 2 - 9Ls
    Welcome. Some of Maximum Motorsports chassis stiffening add-on will help improve the handling and body flex.

JTurbo has a project zone write up on replacing the ball joint, although with on 59K miles, yours still a lot of life left in em.
    Mike S

'86 SVO 9L Leather
    '86 SVO 9L Road Warrior
    '96 300ZXTT

Welcome to SVOCA (oops, not FEP) - feel free to post up some pics of you ride(s). Both the SVO and the Saleen (I love all four eyed Mustangs)

WRT the ball joints - this service is no longer available. Unfortunately the guy I had been working with is not able to do them any longer.
    Last edited by JTurbo; 11-05-2017 at 08:40 PM.
    86 SVO 1C

SVO's: 86-1C & 86-1E
    LOL Joe, you might be lost, this one isn't FEP (it's cool, I know you hang out at both), but as you said, it's all good, post up pics of all of your stangs. we all love them!
    Eric C
    SVOCA Webmaster

12 PSI Boost
    Thanks. Photos attached. Quick question. I dont want to tear this car up but I believe it could greatly improve from some tasteful suspension modifications. With 59K this car does show its age a bit albeit it has been well maintained and always garaged. The mechanicals have really been well maintained. But its not collector status right? If I were to add a Monte Carlo bar, G-load 4pt brace and sub-frame connectors would that diminish the value? They could be easily be removed but the Monte Carlo bar and sub-frame connectors would leave a small foot print.

Edit. I did not tear the Saleen up. The former owner did. When I got it it was a track car with Griggs, T56, 351W, roll bar etc. I added an aluminum 408W and Stoptech brakes. 1986-0045 is a beast. It will never be a stock car unless one wanted to spend stupid amounts of money restoring it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2052.JPG   IMG_0178.jpg   IMG_0179.jpg   image0025.jpg   image0023.jpg  

00606_b3BhXI85Kmg_600x450.jpg   00V0V_kVLudwtUX9b_600x450.jpg   00d0d_cxMgAfYI8j9_600x450.jpg  
    Last edited by Curt C; 11-04-2017 at 12:01 PM.
    1985 SVO
    1999 BMW M Coupe

had a white 84, with that exact paint scheme. Was originally a v6 auto, converted to a 4-cyl stick, but that brought back some memories.

That Saleen got serious suspension, bet it's a good time at the track. With all those mods to the Saleen guys even let you hang out with them ?
    Eric C
    SVOCA Webmaster

12 PSI Boost
    Ha. Saleen purists ignore me. Funny because I guarantee Steve would love my car.

The set back K, Watts link, torque arm and cambered 8.8 rear make it a a different car. It’s not a Mustang anymore. Depending on the driver and mods it can be competitive with corvettes, vipers etc. 550 HP and TQ. It’s way faster than I am.
    1985 SVO
    1999 BMW M Coupe

SVO's: 2 - 9Ls
    I don't think the mods you suggested for the suspension will adversely affect the value. We are not the MCA here and a lot of guy have resto-mods. SVOs were meant to be driven. And mods that help keep it out of trouble when driving help saves the car in my opinion.
    Mike S

'86 SVO 9L Leather
    '86 SVO 9L Road Warrior
    '96 300ZXTT

I agree with the mods you mentioned, nothing there that wouldn't be considered 'normal' or expected on our cars. Only the super-low mileage cars would see a hit in value with modifications (i.e.- less than 10,000), above that they all seem to fall into a similar value bucket. I also agree with Mike that true upgrades only help the value to the next owner. I have certainly spent a fair amount of time under the rear of my car adding bits and pieces, which makes me smile more when I am on the track.

Your Saleen certainly looks like a beast, very serious mods under the skin for sure! Love the look of the stance, 3-pc wheels and the cowl hood, spot on for a great looking 4-eye.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

12 PSI Boost
    Thanks Gentlemen. I will be calling Jack at MM tomorrow to make sure their G load brace and sub frame connectors will bolt / weld on with minimal effort.

Curt
    1985 SVO
    1999 BMW M Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by SVOeric View Post
    LOL Joe, you might be lost, this one isn't FEP (it's cool, I know you hang out at both), but as you said, it's all good, post up pics of all of your stangs. we all love them!
    I'm Soooo confused sometimes....

Thanks for posting pics. I love that Saleen.

And I say mod-away with the SVO and enjoy the car.
    Last edited by JTurbo; 11-05-2017 at 08:47 PM.
    86 SVO 1C

Quote Originally Posted by Curt C View Post
    Thanks Gentlemen. I will be calling Jack at MM tomorrow to make sure their G load brace and sub frame connectors will bolt / weld on with minimal effort.

Curt
    I can say their 4-pt brace bolts in without any real issues, not sure about their sub-frames as I am running the Kenny Brown double-cross connectors, which are welded in. Only issue I had with the 4-pt brace was the curled edges of the K-member had to be flattened out a bit for clearance, nothing unique to the SVO.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

12 PSI Boost
    Quote Originally Posted by svono50 View Post
    I can say their 4-pt brace bolts in without any real issues, not sure about their sub-frames as I am running the Kenny Brown double-cross connectors, which are welded in. Only issue I had with the 4-pt brace was the curled edges of the K-member had to be flattened out a bit for clearance, nothing unique to the SVO.
    I have several BFH's for massaging purposes. I ordered those M&M pieces along with a new rag joint, sway bar bushings and end links as they were starting to rot a bit. That will be a good start. The shocks work okay but are near the end of their lives. I have the fronts and rears on full stiff and the ride is still very compliant.

Quick question: Why are the old threads all closed? Is that just for newbies?

Edit: Hey I got 4psi of boost now! hehe.
    1985 SVO
    1999 BMW M Coupe

anything older than a year is closed... lotta people seem to think it's OK to post their troubleshooting questions into old threads. Just keeps it a bit cleaner that way.
    Eric C
    SVOCA Webmaster