Just a bit of BOOST

SVO Restoration Shops Near California?

I inherited my Dad's 86 SVO that he bought brand new and I am thinking of sending it to a shop for a full restoration. I realize that these cars are special and I was curious if anyone had any references for shops that work on these bad boys? Ideally near California but will travel for the right fit. Any references or ideas will be much appreciated.....

SVO's: 86 1C
    I can't really help you from the midwest here, but I haven't ever heard of a specific shop handling SVO's or Foxes for that fact. I would think most competent body/resto shops could handle an SVO resto, but I am sure it would be a new kind of challenge. All you can do is talk to some local hotrodders and see if they have any shops to start conversations with and go from there. Good luck and let us know if you come up with a place, along with any experiences. With our cars now passing the 30 year mark, this need is only going to increase over time.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

Just a bit of BOOST
    Yup I agree. I have been researching shops online and have a list of about (8) to call after the holidays. I'll report back if I get any good feed back.

SVO's: 86-1C & 86-1E
    Any decent restoration shop can do a body restoration of an SVO, not that much difference between stock Mustang and SVO... you can point out the differences....
    engine builders are a different story, if they mention hyperbolic pistons run quickly!!!
    Eric C
    SVOCA Webmaster

SVO's: '86 2R
    Heh, they guy who did the work on our 86 told me he recently had someone ask him about doing some work on his Mustang. "It's kind of a rare car, an SVO" he said. "It's red."
    Friend: "You mean Jalapeno red?"
    Guy with car: (gasp!) "You know about that color?"
    Friend: "I have a can of it in my paint rack."
    Guy with car: "Do you have the special black the trim is painted with?"
    Friend: "Yep, I have that too. We've done one here, so have some experience."

It's not often you find a shop with experience, but when you do, they usually know about the differences. If not, the differences are easy to point out.

I will add that if they replace ANYTHING, make sure the throw out NOTHING (and I mean nothing, no matter how insignificant it seems) until all of the work is done. There are many silly little SVO-specific parts that you may not know are SVO-specific until you have to replace one that's been thrown away.
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas

SVO's: 86 1C
    Quote Originally Posted by gbeaird View Post
    <snip>
    It's not often you find a shop with experience, but when you do, they usually know about the differences. If not, the differences are easy to point out.

I will add that if they replace ANYTHING, make sure the throw out NOTHING (and I mean nothing, no matter how insignificant it seems) until all of the work is done. There are many silly little SVO-specific parts that you may not know are SVO-specific until you have to replace one that's been thrown away.
    That right there is great advice! Also, keep in contact with the shop throughout the process to keep an eye on things and show them that you care about what they do...don't just criticize, but also compliment on what they do good too.

Unfortunately for me I was ~80 miles away from my body shop and when I asked about my long door strips they didn't have them?!? Turns out the scrap guy took the doors before they removed them, DOH! Luckily I was not reinstalling them, but it points out the fact to keep in contact with the shop. One other nugget of advice is to have all your plastic parts media blasted down to the original material and paint fresh from the ground up. My shop shipped all my plastic parts out to be stripped by a sub-contractor that specialized in media blasting 'delicate' parts and they ended up looking brand-spanking new. Now, 20 years later, the paint is still holding up excellent on all the plastic parts.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4