Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    SVO's: 86 1C
    When you search on the part number listed in the other thread (A350090060) it still comes up on Bell (lucky guess on my part, eh?) for $236. It shows a flow rate of 606 CFM, which would be well above our stock core...depending on the pressures used to get the flow numbers.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

SVO's: 85 SVO Canyon Red
    I'd like to chime in as I was always under the impression that the stock core quit being effective somewhere around 60mph as the shape of the hood scoop at that speed didn't allow air in. So that coupled with the heat soak of stop and go traffic made these less than ideal. But these guys are right there are two cost effective kits out there being stinger and the Gnari units. Now I went a different route and made my own kit using the old forced4 design as my base. I didn't want to lose my fog lights, A/C, or use steel pipe. Now I will warn you that I spent $1,200 on mine but I'm damn proud of it, and the little bit of lag I did have was neutralized with GFB electronic boost controller. The GFB allows me to adjust when and how the boost comes on, along with creep. Another unexpected bonus was the tip in throttle responce and low speed driveability. I can only assume that this is caused by the intercooler pipe infront of the throttle body acting like a bigger plenum.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	15007413559_c3a0d59c35_b.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	231.0 KB 
ID:	45908

Name:	IMG_20140814_050713_078.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	250.1 KB 
ID:	45909

Name:	19961505715_b44406c06d_b.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	121.5 KB 
ID:	45910
    Last edited by SchoolBoy; 01-26-2018 at 02:54 PM.
    85 SVO 2A 205rwhp & 266 pounds torque!
    SDS Found, FMIC Built, Dash pad triple gauge pod

the well known PIA VIN guy Ken Potter's Avatar
    SVO's: 84,85,85.5,86x2
    I have one of the Bell cores that I bought when this was first discussed. It's still in the box. I hope to be able to use it someday. I can get the contact info if anybody is interested.

SVO's: 86 2R
    Quote Originally Posted by SchoolBoy View Post
    ...I went a different route and made my own kit using the old forced4 design as my base....
    Nice work Nelson. What did you have to modify to get the pipes around the side of the radiator / condenser? Smaller radiator?
    "If there's no plan, what can go wrong...?"

SVO's: 86 2R
    Quote Originally Posted by SVOeric View Post
    One of my SVO's has the spearco intercooler setup.
    I wish these were still around.
    "If there's no plan, what can go wrong...?"

Quote Originally Posted by Laredo View Post
    Nice work Nelson. What did you have to modify to get the pipes around the side of the radiator / condenser? Smaller radiator?
    I found a nice aluminium radiator that was a few inches narrower. So the only down side was I had to cut the factory lower radiator brackets off the frame rail. Anyways heres the link... http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...-amp-D-project

Quote Originally Posted by Laredo View Post
    I wish these were still around.
    You might want to give chalky and Josh a call as they were working on new pipes and mounting brackets for these kits since the cores are still widely available
    Last edited by SchoolBoy; 01-28-2018 at 03:47 PM.

SVO's: '86 2R
    Yeah, nice work, Nelson. I read your builds over on FEP. Great amount of detail and information. Wow, TWO rebuilds in the 21st century?!? Just wow.

It also looks like you had the OEM IC apart a couple of times. How do they come apart, and how hard is it to get the insert to seal against the shell? If it's not that difficult, then yes, Ken, I'd like the Bell IC contact information. Nothing like piling on to the never-ending restomod.
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas

SVO's: 86 1C
    Gene, if you put in the number listed in my post above, it comes up on Bell's website, so I am guessing it isn't a custom core. The intercooler core drops out of the housing when you unbolt the bottom plate, it is really easy to disassemble/reassemble. I pulled mine apart many moons ago to clean the oil out of the core and a couple years ago, I had to do it again due to a leak that developed in the gasket which was taken care of with some cleaning and a light coating of RTV. Guess I should have taken some pics, but alas, I wasn't thinking of that the last time I took it apart.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

Gene, yep two bloody rebuilds in 8 years because of bad machine work. I am how ever looking foward to my next dyno and seeing what a healthy motor can put down at 18psi.

As for the intercooler yes they are fairly simple to take apart, and a little tricky to put back together. Mainly because inside the intercooler there are 2 (or 4) little rubber gaskets glued to the core and those usually fall off the core because the glue is old. So take pictures as you pull it apart!!! I still have my stocker somewhere I could make a video if it would help?

I'm currently running a TC IC, so the OEM IC is essentially a 'spare'. So if I could get the Bell insert, I think I could throw it in, and then go back to the original IC, and have it actually work better then the TC unit. With the strut tower bar we have, the factory IC would actually work better.

But video taken by someone who's done it before would always help!
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas

Gene, I'll work on that video this sunday/monday and get it posted.

Cool. No mad rush, I won't be doing this next weekend. :-)
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas