Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    SVO's: 86 2R
    Quote Originally Posted by gbeaird View Post
    I appear to have reached a dead-end in the gasket department. I received a reply that most customers weld the cores to housings, so no gaskets or seals are required...
    Thanks for all the follow through and sharing of information Gene.
    I have a brand new TIG welder sitting in the corner of my garage. I might have to try this welding solution...
    "If there's no plan, what can go wrong...?"

SVO's: '86 2R
    A fabbed IC housing might be an interesting build, and probably certainly be lighter than the OEM unit, but that'll take a bit of practice with the TIG, which I don't have yet. Actually, I don't have a TIG yet, either, although I do have a spot in the shop with a dedicated 220V drop for when I do.
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas

Okay, I got some time this afternoon to work on the intercooler. I got the inside lip of each gasket trimmed. These things really don't fit well now. Ted, exactly what was the technique you used to get the things back in place? I have to go get some fresh gasket sealer for the end seals, so the project is back on hold for now, but may be able to get back to it this weekend, depending on what Gordon does.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IC base with gasket.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	112.6 KB 
ID:	46204
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas

SVO's: 86 1C
    Gene, what I did was put a small bead of Permatex ultra black into the slot of the gasket, then placed the gasket onto the intercooler, flipped it over so the gasket was against the bench top, loaded some weight on top of it and let it cure for ~24 hours. Kind of 'squishing' it onto the core is a pain and you may find it easier to lay the gasket on the bench top first and work the intercooler down into the gasket...although this may not work for the Bell core w/o the lip. This next part, however, may be what you need to do.

From there, I dropped the core into the housing, working the outside of the gasket into the housing as best as it will do on its own. Then I put the retainer frame onto the housing and hand start all the screws. I worked the tightening of the screws in a typical criss-cross pattern while keeping the gasket within the housing. No sealant between the housing and gasket nor between the retainer and gasket. I always tighten till the retainer makes contact with the housing, no particular torque value, all by feel and look.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

12 PSI Boost
    I'm interested in the Bell core as well. I ditched the Gnari kit because of lag and flutter issues even with a BOV. I want to install a BOV/BPV on the stock housing but Forced4 is long gone it seems. What did the kits come with? My car is running a speed density Pimp ECU so I'm not concerned about unmetered air.

Here are a couple of vids of it running.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRQikrQXPBo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=418P9d6fMds
    Last edited by jimtash9; 09-04-2018 at 05:05 AM.

Thanks, Ted. Yeah, without the lip, and no provision for the lip on the Bell core, the first part doesn't come into play. The factory gaskets are now a bit larger than the housing and the core now, so there is no 'squeezing' of the core into the gasket. If anything, sectioning it, removing small sections, and making the space up with black RTV may actually help. That, or getting the RTV in the pressurized can and squeezing out as consistent a bead as possible, and setting the core carefully in place might be in order. I can see a slip of the core at the wrong time could be an issue, since the core would then be pretty much glued into place.

With the retaining plate out of the place, I can see getting down into the housing with some long, thin tools, but when the plate goes on, I'm having issues trying to figure out how to get the bottom gasket worked into place.

Quote Originally Posted by svono50 View Post
    Gene, what I did was put a small bead of Permatex ultra black into the slot of the gasket, then placed the gasket onto the intercooler, flipped it over so the gasket was against the bench top, loaded some weight on top of it and let it cure for ~24 hours. Kind of 'squishing' it onto the core is a pain and you may find it easier to lay the gasket on the bench top first and work the intercooler down into the gasket...although this may not work for the Bell core w/o the lip. This next part, however, may be what you need to do.

From there, I dropped the core into the housing, working the outside of the gasket into the housing as best as it will do on its own. Then I put the retainer frame onto the housing and hand start all the screws. I worked the tightening of the screws in a typical criss-cross pattern while keeping the gasket within the housing. No sealant between the housing and gasket nor between the retainer and gasket. I always tighten till the retainer makes contact with the housing, no particular torque value, all by feel and look.
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas

SVO's: 86 1C
    Trying to work both gaskets is going to be harder than hearding cats for sure. I am not quite sure how I would tackle this challenge without it sitting in front of me. Your thought of sectioning the gasket would likely be the 'best' bet to get it glued onto the core, but I would be concerned with a leak at the cut point(s). May not be an issue, but just a thought.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

Agreed, and I've VERY hesitant to do that except as a last ditch effort. I think if I did that, I'd probably pin AND glue the sections together, as well as run a bead of RTV along the inside edge of the gasket, just to make sure.

IF we ever get any sun back, I'll try freezing the gaskets and setting the housing out to heat up to see how close we can get with that. I'm not expecting much there, though. Freezing the gaskets helped a bit, but was still too much to make up with just that.
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas

I was out in the shop yesterday pulling the slicks off the the Firebird, and spent some time staring at the gaskets and IC parts. It looks to me like the gasket I had sitting in it's slots in the bottom plate seemed to be setting into those slots much better than before. Odd, I thought, and I'll have to go have another look this week. Since it seemed to have settled down better, I set the cooler housing gasket into the housing, making sure the corners were set in the slot corners. Maybe some time, and letting them sit in the parts might help things settle in. We'll see. I did think about putting them in the oven set at about 200 deg-F to see if any volatiles that might have been absorbed (gas and/or oil) could be 'boiled off'.

I still might try that, as well as setting the housing out in the sun (if we can ever get any) and putting the gaskets back in the freezer. Still working on this. The project continues.....
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas