Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    SVO's: '86 2R
    Quote Originally Posted by svono50 View Post
    When you search on the part number listed in the other thread (A350090060) it still comes up on Bell (lucky guess on my part, eh?) for $236. It shows a flow rate of 606 CFM, which would be well above our stock core...depending on the pressures used to get the flow numbers.
    $287 with UPS Ground shipping. We'll see what it looks like when it bounces off the side of the house. Now.... gotta go find my IC!
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas

And wow, it's already here!

Not sure why they want us to keep these things away from children, unless we're the children they want to keep them away from!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bell IC Core.JPG 
Views:	29 
Size:	179.0 KB 
ID:	46113

As you see, I do have some cleaning of the original unit to do first.
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas

After getting as far as I could with the Firebird today, I stood there looking at the SVO, and really wanting to do something with it. Since it was getting late, and I was pretty beat, I figured I could at least see what it's like to take the IC apart, so I could see if I can easily disassemble it, or should wait to get more info.

Well, I now have a 3-piece IC. As others have said, it came apart pretty easily. Here are some phone pics:

After removing all the lower bolts from the heat shield:

Name:	Old IC bolts out.JPG 
Views:	12 
Size:	114.5 KB 
ID:	46168

And here's what the underside looks like with the heat shield off:

Name:	Old IC heat deflector removed.JPG 
Views:	14 
Size:	133.9 KB 
ID:	46169

And after removing that gasket:

Name:	Old IC lower gasket removed.JPG 
Views:	14 
Size:	125.8 KB 
ID:	46170

And here's the core popped out of the housing:

Name:	Old IC old core removed.JPG 
Views:	18 
Size:	123.0 KB 
ID:	46171

Note the two orange silicone gasket strips on the TB side of the core.

And now a comparison shot of the old core with the new one we've discussed here:

Name:	old core new core.JPG 
Views:	24 
Size:	124.7 KB 
ID:	46167

I did notice that the old core has a little ridge going around the bottom and top sides that correspond to a notch in the gaskets. It looks like the new core is the same height without that ridge as the old core is with it, so I'm assuming the gasket will seal sufficiently around the new core?

Name:	gasket lip on old core.JPG 
Views:	22 
Size:	112.0 KB 
ID:	46166

And what about those orange bits. Do you silicone those to the new core before inserting it? Thanks.
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas

SVO's: 86 1C
    Gene, thanx for the pics, good info. As for the orange seals, I would simply silicone them onto the new core in the same position. They are there to prevent air from leaking around the core.

As for the top/bottom gaskets and the new 'rimless' core, I am not sure what to do about that. That rim helps keep the gaskets positioned onto the core and in place. Without the rim, I am not sure the gasket will stay put under boost. May require some conversation with Bell to see what they recommend.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

Ted, did the old Bell A350090060 have that lip? I'll note that it appears that the external dimensions of the Bell core are the same (or very nearly the same, I have to exactly verify) as the OEM core at that lip.
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas

I actually don't know what the old Bell unit was like, never saw one in person. If the new Bell core is the same thickness as the OEM with the flange, then you may need to trim the inner lip of the gasket, so it will sit flat against the Bell core and the outer gasket lip will fit around the OD of the core. Hard to say without them sitting in front of me, but I have a feeling you will figure it out pretty quickly.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

SVO's: 2 - 9Ls
    I understand from another SVO site, that to make the Bell core work, you have to trim your existing seal rubber. Essentially, you need to trim the inner lip of the rubber seal so it fits over the Bell core.
    Mike S

'86 SVO 9L Leather
    '86 SVO 9L Road Warrior
    '96 300ZXTT

Thanks, Mike. I'll definitely have to do some test fits after I get the housing and seals cleaned up. I'd like to go back together in a way I can back it out, if necessary. But I guess I can also start a WTB OEM IC thread in the wanted section, if it comes to that.
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas

I got some time out in our wonderful sunny 112-degree heat index summer weather to get some cleaning done on the IC parts. I thought I could just scrub the parts down with some Simple Green and hose it off, but noooooooooooooo, that stuff was pretty tenacious!! I ended up taking the housing and bottom panel outside to warm up a bit, hose them down with Gunk and hose off. That got most of the stuff off, and since I was now out of Gunk, I ended up finishing it up with acetone.

I'll probably hit the bottom panel with a wire wheel on my bench grinder to clean up some of the rust, but it's a light patina, and probably won't take much to clean it right up.

I do have a question for those who have cleaned their ICs, though. The upper surface where the hood seal sits has some staining from the rubber. The acetone took a fair amount of discoloring off, but the discoloring from the seal is still there. This discoloration can be seen in one of the pictures in post 32 above. So what's good to try to use to get that upper surface cleaned up?
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas

SVO's: 2 - 9Ls
    Gene, I think the original IC had clear coat on the surface in questions, so the only good solution is to take it back to metal and respray with clear coat.
    Mike S

'86 SVO 9L Leather
    '86 SVO 9L Road Warrior
    '96 300ZXTT

Yeah, I was kind of thinking that. The clear coat had turned, and it seems to be the 'stuff' I got off with the acetone. Like the other parts, I'll start easy, and get more aggressive if I find things not working well. May end up with a buffing wheel on the bench grinder and polishing compound, like I did on the stainless cooling lines. I may then just coat it with Rust Prevention Magic like I did those lines, too. That way, it's an easy clean up and re-coat if necessary.
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas

SVO's: 84 9W, 85 1B
    I've never tried it on an intercooler, but have had great success on flat aluminum stock using a 3-M headlight restoration kit. Following instructions to polish headlights, the aluminum turned out with highly polished finish.
    Perry Mitchell
    SVOCA#187

SVO's: 86 2R
    Quote Originally Posted by gbeaird View Post
    Ted, did the old Bell A350090060 have that lip? I'll note that it appears that the external dimensions of the Bell core are the same....
    I didn’t realize there was an old/new Bell intercooler, and that this would be such a detailed project. Kinda was hoping the swap to the Bell IC was more of a “plug-n-play.”
    "If there's no plan, what can go wrong...?"

Yep, same here. More-importantly, 'easy to revert'. If the upper and lower seals need trimming, that may hamper that possibility. Now that the IC and gaskets are clean, though, I can test fit to see if, and if so, how much those gaskets need to be trimmed.
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas

The exposed aluminum on my intercooler is left open to the elements and I just hand polish once before the season starts and only keep it clean for the summer months. A friend of mine and I found a polish called Rolite many years ago at a local store and I still use it today. I have polished all kinds of metals and even some SVO turn signal lenses with excellent results. What is nice is they are somewhat local, just over the line in Wisconsin. Here is a link to what I have a can of:

http://rolitecompany.com/product-cat...e/metalpolish/

They have a lot more 'specialty' formulations, but I have found this formula to work on almost anything you put it to. It is a little aggressive on auto paint, but does rough cut well. I will dig out a pic showing the finish it leaves on the intercooler when I have access to it at home.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4