Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    SVO's: 86 1C
    Found the pic, not the best, but you can get the idea. The top looks all black, due to my black hood reflecting off of it, but you can see the reflection of the coolant hose in the front panels as a better example. If I wanted, I could do more polishing and bring it to a full mirror polish, but that isn't what I like....back to the regularly scheduled thread topic....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Intercooler - Polished_rolite.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	132.3 KB 
ID:	46174
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

SVO's: '86 2R
    Thanks for the visual. I need to get out and try my stuff, but it's currently 107 heat index!
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas

I got a couple of moments to see just how the new core fits in the OEM housing. It seems that the 30+ years being heat-cycled, and soaking up oil vapors, oil and probably some engine cleaners, the top AND bottom core gaskets have swollen some. They're about 1/4" too long on the long sides, and 1/8" too long on the short sides. You can't just stuff them into place. I'm at a loss now on what to do....
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas

Gene, you can get them back in there, trust me! I have had similar issues in the past, it takes some patience and technique, but the gaskets can go back in...so long as you take your time to tuck things back into place. Last time it took me a good 30-60 minutes to get everything tucked back in and snugged up...royal PITA, but it worked. Trying to do it in 107 deg heat index is not recommended, bring it inside where you can 'relax' and work it back into place...just make sure you put a good coating of cardboard/newspapers on the dining room table before commencing work...
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

That's a relief to know, Ted. Thank you! Yeah, I know about the 107 heat index!! We had a regional autocross event yesterday, and OMG it was a cooker!! We both came home, put the truck and car away, and pretty much just sat on the couch watching surfing and the Seattle drag race the rest of the day.

I have an antique marble baker's table that most of our weapons cleaning/builds/parts work gets done on, so this will be no difference. I do cover it with a cutting pad, though, since the marble can damage the parts, and can get badly stained pretty easily.

I wonder if it would help to throw the seals in the freezer for a bit and/or coat them with some silicone grease?
    Last edited by gbeaird; 08-06-2018 at 02:23 PM.
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas

SVO's: 2 - 9Ls
    Most everything besides water shrinks when you put it in the freeze, so its worth a try. I know it works on o-rings that is on my whole house water filter housing.
    Mike S

'86 SVO 9L Leather
    '86 SVO 9L Road Warrior
    '96 300ZXTT

Quote Originally Posted by GAboySVO View Post
    Most everything besides water shrinks when you put it in the freeze, so its worth a try. I know it works on o-rings that is on my whole house water filter housing.
    Time for an experiment! To the lab!!!
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas

Sticking one of the gaskets in the freezer for a couple of hours netted about a 1/8" shrink in the long side, and about 1/16" shrink on the short side. So, I do get some shrinkage, but not a lot.
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas

Don't put any silicone grease on the gasket, it will allow the gasket to squirm and/or blow out during use...something you don't want! Best is to have all surfaces as clean and dry as possible so the gasket can stay in place. I have/do use some high temp silicone sealant/gasket between the intercooler core and gasket, but leave the surface between the gasket and housing dry for possible future removal.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

Yeah, there was that thought, too. I do have to reattach the end seals so will probably use adhesive when the time comes. I'll also try setting the housing and bottom plate out in the sun to soak up some rays, and refreeze the gaskets, to see if that helps any, but I'll not do that until after I get the housing and bottom plate ready to reassemble.
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas

Since it was 'cool' outside over the weekend, I spent some quality time in the tool shed with a polishing wheel on the bench grinder and my polishing rouge. It seems most of the time was enjoyed removing what was left of the clear coat off the natural surfaces, and I got them fairly shiny. There's still the water spots and the 'disfigured' spots where the hood seal rubbed for 20-some-odd years, but for a driver, it's pretty good.

I'll post up as soon as I get some pictures, since I was without the phone out there.
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas

And here's mine. Some of the odd discoloring on the upper surface is due to the clouds reflecting off it, but you should get the idea. I also cleaned up the lower panel. Any idea what the brass tag is for? They sure were interested in making sure that IC didn't disappear anywhere!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	polished IC housing.JPG 
Views:	15 
Size:	124.4 KB 
ID:	46184Click image for larger version. 

Name:	clean lower panel.JPG 
Views:	11 
Size:	162.1 KB 
ID:	46185
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas

I had some hood seal grooves in my top surface too. Ended up using a sanding block, various grit sand paper and a lot of elbow grease to sand it down to flush out the impressions, then hand polished from there. It all depends on how 'good' you want it to look. I think the brass tag is the build spec of the intercooler and it was obviously made to withstand whatever operations the OEM maker had for it. I polished mine and masked it off when I repainted the bottom retainer...not like anyone other than myself will really ever see it, but we do have longish winters up here.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

So you have extended time to polish! Yeah, I think it's good enough for this car. I'll hit it was a coat of RPM, and buff that out, but I think I'll turn to getting it back together for now. I've shown for trophies before, that's not something I'm interested in doing anymore. Show the rare car that it is, probably have the only SVO in the show, but otherwise enjoy the car.

I've written Bell Intercoolers, asking if they have any leads on gaskets/seals, and have actually received a reply asking for more details. I'm not expecting much here, but figured it was worth a try, since they make a LOT of cores that fit in housings. I'll report back success or failure.
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas

I appear to have reached a dead-end in the gasket department. I received a reply that most customers weld the cores to housings, so no gaskets or seals are required. Oh well, back to stuffing the gaskets in place.
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas