Thread: Leaky windshield

SVO's: 86-1C & 86-1E

Leaky windshield

hey guys,
    On this 85.5 I have, I know the windshield was taken out when it was painted.

I believe whoever stuck it back in didn't use the correct sealant. It actually looks like they used RTV. With the car uncovered the last couple weeks, and the 10 inches of rain we've had, I've discovered I have a small pond in the drivers side floor-board. I verified by jumping in the car while it was raining, and about a foot right of the steering wheel, drip drip drip.

I have no problem drying out the carpet, etc.

What's everyone's thoughts on how to stop this leak? My thought is, hit a windshield shop and ask them how much to fix it... If you guys know a cheaper fix, I'm all ears.
    Eric C
    SVOCA Webmaster

SVO's: 86 1C
    I would just bring it in and have the shop take care of it. If part of the seal is suspect, then how much can you trust the rest of it?? For just peace of mind I would get it fully resealed...just my $0.02.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

my big concern with a windshield shop is -- they will say, we'll fix it for $100, but if we break the windshield getting it out... $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    Eric C
    SVOCA Webmaster

Unfortunately that is usually the case where they can't guarantee not breaking it getting it out or cleaning it or when putting it back in. Hopefully you have either a window or body shop that has a lot of experience with removal/reinstall and can do it without any issues...despite their 'out' clause that will always be in place. Ask around and good luck.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

and the fact that the correct stuff wasn't used putting it in, makes it more likely they'll break it on the way out.
    oh well, it's only money...
    Eric C
    SVOCA Webmaster

SVO's: 86 1E
    They are really good at this stuff, that's what they get paid to do day in and day out. I don't think you can do it without breaking it if they can't. Just say'in.
    Bruce

SVO's: '86 2R
    Quote Originally Posted by SVOeric View Post
    and the fact that the correct stuff wasn't used putting it in, makes it more likely they'll break it on the way out.
    oh well, it's only money...
    I can understand your hesitance to use them again. One would think that they'd guarantee the install to not leak, and only NOT warrant it if they find rust and/or rust holes around the windshield.

Additionally, if they're NOT using black butyl, and using RTV, one could just about guarantee they'd break the windshield pulling it. I'd consider using RTV is a rookie move. Black butyl is pretty easy to cut through using standard window installer tools (It's even pretty easy using mechanic's wire). RTV, I'd think would take a bit more effort, and could result in a cracked windshield.

If they're going to 'fix' it for an additional fee, I'd consider taking it elsewhere to get it done right.
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas

wish I knew who did the original install, to make sure I didn't take it back there
    Eric C
    SVOCA Webmaster

SVO's: '86 2R
    Ahh, so it's been a while. In that case, are you certain you didn't have a rust hole develop? Had that happen on an old Impala we had. I had someone replace the panel between the back window and the trunk lid. The apparently scratched the paint using the tool to remove the chrome trim around the window, which later allowed rust to form, and subsequently, a hole into the trunk. :-(
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas

it was done before I owned the car... so who knows!!!
    Eric C
    SVOCA Webmaster

When I was working on my 82, I pulled the original windshield for repairs / repaint. Then I had a professional shop do the install (in my garage). They also installed the HB glass.

According to the installed, the newer sealants are far superior to the original methods that Ford did in the factory.

So I'm basically agreeing with everyone, take it to a professional and have them take care of it.
    86 SVO 1C

Yeah, I agree guys, too many unknowns... it is new glass, less than 5 years old, I'd guess about 2.5... Im not sure the PO didn't do it themselves. the places I can feel sealant, feels like regular old rtv, not the non-hardening stuff you'd expect behind a windshield.

I been looking at local shops. trying to find one that's not mobile, and I can go in and chat with them.

will work it out when I get back from Mexico.
    Eric C
    SVOCA Webmaster