SVO's: '86 2R

"New" Ford Gray engine paint?

We're hoping to roll the SVO out of the shop tomorrow, pull the radiator, hose the radiator support and the surrounding bits down with Gunk, and clean it all up. Not sure how far back I'll get, but am also thinking of pulling the IC, so I can get to the cooling lines, and that side of the engine, while we have it down.

I went to the parts house, looking for 'Ford Gray' engine paint, but all they seem to have in stock, and all they appeared to have a shelf spot for, was something in the Dupli-Color brand called 'New Ford Gray'. I'm thinking that that's probably the color Ford started using after a certain date, but would like to know if there's a difference between it, and what is probably on our engine now, or if it's close enough to not worry. I won't be shooting the entire engine at one time, since it's still in the car, but would like to touch things up a bit on the areas I can get to.

Is there a difference?

Additionally, there appears to be some sort of splash shield on the driver's side of the engine bay, attaching to the driver's side subframe in front of the K-member, and the radiator support. There is no such beast on the passenger side. Should there be? If so, anyone know where I can get a replacement? Thanks.
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas

SVO's: 84 SVO 1C
    Don't know about the paint. But I have made those splash shield to both sides by myself using 5 mm rubber plate. I didn't have them left on both sides. I used 88 Thunderbird shieds as template and result was just fine. Seemingly the are pretty similar in all foxes. Don't know were they installed originally to all Mustangs but at least in most 87 up seems to have them. Could it be just better material on later models? My opinion is that they should be there. It just looks funny when there is nothing under frame rails and you can actually see side of engine from wheel arch. And for sure the keep dirt and water out from engine bay.
    Here is the one that I made. Don't remember which side, they were pretty similar though. If you want to try making new one take the existing one out and use it as template, shoud get it fit to other side quite easily.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	suoja.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	100.5 KB 
ID:	46093
    Last edited by FinnSVO; 05-27-2018 at 05:50 PM.
    Lauri

-84 Mustang SVO
    -88 Tbird Turbo Coupe

Thanks, Lauri. So you just made two of the same size and installed them on both sides? If so, I can simply, or not so simply, since the push pins are putting up a good fight, pull the driver’s side piece and use it for my template. I do have some ABS plastic sheet I may be able to use. I do need to get that driver’s side piece off so I can clean it, and what’s behind it anyway.
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas

SVO's: 84 U3
    Gene -
    I think I used Rustoleum Ford Grey when I painted an SVO engine. It was a few years back but I think they have one.

On the splash shields, I have several used ones that I would sell.
    Mike
    PETRO EXPRESS=CITGO=BOYCOTT / Illinois - Taxation w/o Representation!

Mike,

Yeah, I was wondering about the color of the 'new' ford gray, and will probably shoot something with it and hold it up against the oil pan for reference. Seems odd Duplicolor calls it 'new'.

I may be interested in the splash shield, but I did get the driver's side off for cleaning. I _think_ I have some sheet ABS that should be just about the same stuff the factory unit is made from. If I have enough, and it's a close match, I'll make one from it. If not, I'll get back with you for a replacement. Thanks for letting me know.
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas

SVO's: 84 SVO 1C
    Quote Originally Posted by gbeaird View Post
    Thanks, Lauri. So you just made two of the same size and installed them on both sides? If so, I can simply, or not so simply, since the push pins are putting up a good fight, pull the driver’s side piece and use it for my template. I do have some ABS plastic sheet I may be able to use. I do need to get that driver’s side piece off so I can clean it, and what’s behind it anyway.
    I had template from 88 TC for both sides separately. But I remember when I compared ready shields they were really similar on both sides. So I believe you can use "copy" on other side as well. At least economical risk is quite minimal
    Lauri

-84 Mustang SVO
    -88 Tbird Turbo Coupe

Thank you, Lauri. It appears that the ABS panels I have are a bit thin. I'll be PMing Mike for info.
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas

SVO's: '84 9W
    I just saw new repros this weekend at Carlisle, but I can't remember who had them. It might have been Fox Resto.

Nothing pops up anywhere, but evilbay (used), for anything 'splash shield' or 'trim shield' or 'engine bay splash shield'. :-(
    Last edited by gbeaird; 06-17-2018 at 04:49 PM.
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas

Mike sent me some pretty nice shields. They had a bit of overspray on them, as well as some rust and hard water(?) stains, but overall in good shape. Since our autocross event was shortened significantly for us today (rain+slicks != safe driving), I spent the afternoon going at them with all sorts of chemistry to see how well I could clean them up.

First off, these things are acetone-proof. I used that on a soft rag, and got pretty much all of the overspray off. One had a darker blue, the other was red. Before that, I scrubbed them pretty good with a strong scrub brush and dish soap. They weren't that 'dirty'.

After getting them pretty much clean of paint (you can scrub with the acetone-soaked rag until it quits sounding and feeling like sand paper, and you're pretty much done), I tried to get rid of the rust and hard water marks. I used some lime-away. It took a few cycles, but I got most of the rust stains off. Anything left can probably be hidden by carefully-choosing which side which shield goes on. We'll see.

The hard water stains, not so much. They seem lighter, but haven't gone away altogether. At this point, I'm at the 'good enough' stage. They're good enough for a restomod, or nice street car, but not 100% concours-quality. I'm going for the two former at this point in time, not the latter, so we may be done. I'll see how they look on the car. I'm going to use some push pins that are easier to remove than the OEM pieces, so if I need to go at them again, I can.

Thanks, Mike!
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas

SVO's: 86-1C & 86-1E
    someone that writes
    (rain+slicks != safe driving)
    has written a line of code, or 2

Eric C
    SVOCA Webmaster

Heh, I have. I'm in IT. Been there since Oil and Gas kicked me to the curb, for the second time, in the late '80's! Not a coder, as I don't have the patience for it, but can do shell scripts when the need arises.

Unix helps support my car habit.

And as for the autocross results, even my 3-cone-penalty-cold-slick run on wet concrete wasn't pretty, it got me FTD for all Prepared-class cars. Granted my main competitor's run was simply the drive from grid to the trailer in a real turd-floater, I'll take any win I can!!

My wife suggested I try some peroxide on the remaining stains. I don't think they're organic, but will try it anyway and report back my results. I don't think it'll hurt to try, but I'll verify first.
    Last edited by gbeaird; 06-18-2018 at 01:40 PM.
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas

SVO's: '84 9W
    Won't the peroxide discolor the material? I'd test in an indiscriminate place first.

SVO's: 84 U3
    Glad you could get them cleaned up to the point you are satisfied.
    PETRO EXPRESS=CITGO=BOYCOTT / Illinois - Taxation w/o Representation!

Yes. Wifey was quite impressed, as was I. She recommended the peroxide test. While I don’t think it will do any damage, my experience with reagent H2O2 requires a test in a well-hidden part of a panel.

yeah, Mike, even you wouldn’t recognize them now. I’ll post pics after the peroxide and/or plastic polish test.
    Last edited by gbeaird; 06-18-2018 at 10:38 PM.
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas