Thread: Black 85.5 value?

Just a bit of BOOST

Black 85.5 value?

Hey guys
    I found a low mileage (77,000K miles) black Canadian 85.5 that is mid restoration and the owner is tired or for whatever reason wants out of this project.
    I'm curious about its value.
    Here is a bit of back info about this car.
    Owner claims that it's 1of3 black 85.5 svo's to be shipped to Canada,,Confirms thru Vin.
    No sunroof car.
    Car has just come off rotisory. Underside was cleaned and sprayed 2 part epoxy paint. rear diff was completely re and re with new everything.
    Koni are Gone...painted GT shocks and struts installed.
    All new brake lines and brakes installed.
    Lots Of NOS stuff go with the car to reassemble,, New steering wheel and body molding. etc.
    All number matching and original engine tranny..never modified.
    Interior leather looks salvageable with minor bolster wear.
    The Car needs Paint and is prepped for that with all glass and trim removed..left rear quarter and hatch was replaced due to minor accident.
    Wheels require re work.
    Owner is askin $7000. as project sits and is willing to paint and install glass for $2000. for a grandious total of $9000. Canukistan dollars.
    New owner(me if i choose to accept) would then have the pleasure of completely reassembling entire interior and installing drive train.
    Owner works as car restoration expert as his daily Job,,,Says he's 64 years old and just bought new Mustang GT and now tired of this project and wants to pass it on to an enthusiast who will complete the car and not part it or modify.
    Does this sound reasonable???
    I was in the SVO game around 10 years ago and values of these cars has appreciated but still only for the choicest of cars,,,Comp Prep and garage queens especially.
    This one potentially has a valuable pedigree being that it's an 85.5.

In the final 3 pics the owner quickly put on the front clip to demonstrate trust and show the condition of previous paint.
    Any and all advice/opinions welcome.
    Cheers Dean
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SVO4.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	242.3 KB 
ID:	46143Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SVO1.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	242.8 KB 
ID:	46144Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SVO2.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	238.8 KB 
ID:	46145Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SVO3.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	238.0 KB 
ID:	46146Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SVO7.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	83.6 KB 
ID:	46147Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SVO5.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	84.6 KB 
ID:	46148Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SVO6.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	73.7 KB 
ID:	46149
    Last edited by looker65; 06-29-2018 at 09:56 AM.

SVO's: '86 2R
    $7000 is kind of high for a project, IMHO. Especially since you don't know the real condition of the engine and trans. Judging from the condition of the rest of the car, though, the current owner may be mostly up front on everything.

Since he's lost interest in the project, I'm wondering how the paint work would end up? Being Canadian, does the car have 77K _miles_, or KM on the clock? THAT would influence the value very much.

It looks like at least one spat (pass side) will need to be replaced. It looks to me like the front mounting bracket is still on the car, indicating that the passenger side spat is now broken. It could have just disintegrated, since it seems the clock is pretty much up on those things now. You can get replacements made from fiberglass that work well, though. Hopefully you have the bracket for the driver's side, since that was the quarter that was replaced.

$7000 CAN would probably be the upper-limit for that car, as-is. If you know anyone with a decent paint shop, you may want to discuss taking the project there and have them paint it, vs. having the current owner do it, or have someone do it. But that's just me.

Fresh nice paint job, and put back together mostly stock, that's probably a very nice car, and one that will appreciate some in the future, especially with the numbers-matching engine. The front plastic bits (light lenses) appear to be in very good condition, which is a BIG plus here. You'll need to verify the condition of the tail light lenses, especially considering the rear damage. The tail lights are SVO/'93 Cobra-specific units, but I'm sure you remember this.

Looks like a cool project!!
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas

Just a bit of BOOST
    Hey Gene
    Thanks for the comments and advice as I'm very conflicted about this car.
    On one hand I realize the potential 85.5 value is there but on the other this is a huge amount of investment $$$ for the sum of the parts then to have invest a great deal of time assembling??

I just don't know if the currant market value is there and I don't wanna be sitting on a car that I can't break even on.

I think the currant owner also realized he was going over budget and decided he'd like to cash out before it's too late.
    I believe that this car comes complete with everything to reassemble and lots of NOS parts and that includes spats and body molding and a bunch of other items.

Then there is the sorry state of the used SVO market here.. And by that I mean I've been looking at examples of neglected 84's and 85's and that'll never be worth much and will require a ton of updating with parts that are mostly obsolete..
    I went to visit a guy about 2 hours away from me that has 3 of these SVO cars all are in sad condition.
    One is a completely stock low mileage silver sun-bleached 85.5 and two 84's both of which are modified and mostly just beaters.
    He wants US$8500. each
    pictures below

Name:	85.51.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	260.7 KB 
ID:	46152Click image for larger version. 

Name:	85.52.jpg 
Size:	246.6 KB 
ID:	46153Click image for larger version. 

Name:	85.53.jpg 
Size:	265.9 KB 
ID:	46154Click image for larger version. 

Name:	85.54.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	234.7 KB 
ID:	46155

Name:	85.55.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	230.8 KB 
ID:	46156Click image for larger version. 

Name:	85.56.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	263.1 KB 
ID:	46157
    this is the modified 84

Name:	84svo2.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	251.4 KB 
ID:	46160Click image for larger version. 

Name:	84svo1.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	252.1 KB 
ID:	46159Click image for larger version. 

Name:	84svo6.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	249.2 KB 
ID:	46158Click image for larger version. 

Name:	84svo4.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	251.6 KB 
ID:	46161
    Last edited by looker65; 07-01-2018 at 11:16 AM.

SVO's: '86 2R
    Wow. The one in the top pics looks to be in not too bad a condition, except for the GT tail light lenses.

I'm probably an odd duck when it comes to value, in that I rarely sell a vehicle. I've refused to even try to keep a list of expenditures on our '86, and my wife doesn't care much either. We do the work because it's a hobby, so it's a big hole in the shop we pour money into. :-) But the SVO has been cheap compared to our autocross Firebird. I'm hoping to eventually show it in the Houston Autorama, but will probably not go far beyond that. I like the car for what it is, the history it has, and because I like turning wrenches, not for the potential profit I can make.

I have been lucky, though, in that most of the vehicles I have sold, I've either broken even with respect to the purchase price, or even made a little bit. But it's not why I sell a vehicle.
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas

Just a bit of BOOST
    True enough..
    My first SVO was a money pit but i sure did enjoy driving that thing...with it's near perfect balance at the limit I'm not sure if I've driven a car that was that much fun since.
    Oh wait!!
    I rented a new mustang with the 2.3 turbo...Very impressive!

SVO's: 86 2R
    Quote Originally Posted by gbeaird View Post
    $7000 is kind of high for a project, IMHO. Especially since you don't know the real condition of the engine and trans.
    As much as I hate to see an SVO at risk of never being put back together again, I gotta agree with Gene. $7k is overpriced for a "project" SVO, new parts or not.
    Case in point, my friend Tom's SVO just sold for $4,900. Black '84, all new OE KONI's, new exhaust, nice wheels, ready to drive away, and waaaaay better body/interior condition than this one. I feel kinda bad for the seller being in a stuck position, but unfortuately for him, that doesn't change market value. It's only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. If you give him $7k, then it's worth $7k. If no one will pay him more than $4k, then it's only worth $4k.
    "If there's no plan, what can go wrong...?"

Just a bit of BOOST
    I know,,
    AS much as want to put this car back together then claim it's worth over $10k ,, I think that maybe a long shot at best,, even tho 85.5 could be the holy grail,unicorn or whatever other mystical beast that may be out there;-)
    I do believe the seller also realized he was going upside down with this one and pulled the plug on the budget.

SVO's: 86 1C
    Don't buy an SVO as an investment, buy it for the enjoyment of driving / hobby related interests.

And if I read the post correctly, the $7k price doesn't even include paint work? No way.....
    86 SVO 1C

SVO's: 86-1C & 86-1E
    remember the exchange rate... 7k Canadian is ~5300 USD
    that puts it in the 'not bad' range if you ask me.

Still top of the range for a project.... There's a lot of work in putting one back together.
    the good news here... if it had been painted already, you'd not know what the new paint is 'covering'

I also agree with the above comments on not purchasing for an investment. if you don't drive it, it's just an expensive piece of furniture.
    Eric C
    SVOCA Webmaster

12 PSI Boost
    SVO's: 86 9L Comp Prep
    I'll let you have a far nicer SVO for not much more money and it does not need assembled. Why drive a beater?