12 PSI Boost

What gets dropped with rear suspension work?

I've been looking at rear suspension treatments for the SVO and I was wondering if we could lose any of the arms and bushings with the options listed below:

1. full pan hard bar
    2. Griggs Watts Link
    3. EvW Watts Link

That's the first part, the second part is if any of these installations create grief for a stock dual exhaust or anything else I'll need for a streetable weekend racer.

SVO's: 86 1C
    Each option has it 'formula' shall we say, but basically all work better with only keeping (3) trailing links. Depending on the joints on the links, it is very likely to remove the quad shocks as well. For direct experience, I am running a Fays2 Watts link setup, a detailed rundown is located here:

http://www.svoca.com/forum/showthrea...s-and-counting

I have info on the watts link on pages 2-3, upper control arms on page 3, PM3L & rear springs on page 4. Any lateral locating device helps wonders in the cornering department for settling down the 'waggle' rear axle. You almost can't go wrong with any option, the devil's in the details of getting all the components to compliment each other, which I feel my combination works well enough with my driving style/habits, YMMV.

I am running basically a stock 2.25" style exhaust up over the axle and don't have any clearance issues and believe I could step up to a 2.5" tailpipe setup without any issues. 3" over the axle would likely be a challenge. Again, you can see clearance pics of the pipes in they Fays2 section of my project posts. I can't speak directly to the other setups you have mentioned, but I am sure some folks can chime in with their experiences.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

12 PSI Boost
    @svono50
    Awesome start! I'm going to add your link to my other thread as an example of a Watts install. What part of the Fays 2 install gave you the most grief and what was the net change in weight? Did you have sub-frame connectors prior to putting it in and if so, how long were they and do you think longer ones could create any problem?
    Last edited by yldouright; 07-17-2018 at 05:06 PM.

SVO's: 2 - 9Ls
    I have the Maximum Motorsports pan hard bar. It's a pretty straight forward installation if your frame is relatively straight. I used it with the original 4 link set up for a while and it help to keep the rear located under heavy cornering, then I added the torque arm to reduce tendency for the rear of the car to look like I had hijackers under the car during heavy braking. It help prevent the ***-end from wanting to step out under heavy braking conditions. It also has the same calming effect under heavy acceleration conditions.
    Mike S

'86 SVO 9L Leather
    '86 SVO 9L Road Warrior
    '96 300ZXTT

12 PSI Boost
    @GAboySVO
    I've seen videos of the MM PHB install. Did you have to open up any holes to get the right alignment? Did you have much trouble finding your center line? What's your maximum offset on each side and how long is the bar?

My biggest problem was the frame was whacked at some time, so I had to cut one of the ears off and re-weld. The installation instructions were easy to follow. I don't know the length of the bar, but it is adjustable with LH and RH rod eye ends. The limitation is with what tail pipes you can use. You need to use the original style tail pipes. 2.5" will fit, but that is the maximum. It's listed in the instructions and I believe you can download them from MM. I've got mine centered and the bar level when sitting on the wheels. When I first installed it, the tire rubbed on one side until I got the bar adjusted correctly. Now everything is OK, so if I had to guess, it moved about 1/2 inch back to center.
    Mike S

'86 SVO 9L Leather
    '86 SVO 9L Road Warrior
    '96 300ZXTT

12 PSI Boost
    @GAboySVO
    I reviewed the install instructions, much obliged. Correct me if I'm wrong but all that's needed for the MM PHB to be reversible is another coupling bracket and U-bolt set. The main bracket appears to be reversible if your frame is straight. Did you have sub-frame connectors before putting in your PHB?

The saddles that mount to the rear frame rails have tolerance and shims to allow for Ford production tolerances, but in my case, the car was smacked in the rear DS quarter panel that apparently pushed it beyond what would fit. I don't think the brackets are reversible as it is designed to allow for exhaust clearance, and the connection point to the axle is via a new lower shock mount bracket.
    Mike S

'86 SVO 9L Leather
    '86 SVO 9L Road Warrior
    '96 300ZXTT

12 PSI Boost
    @GAboySVO
    Noted, AFAIK, a dual exhaust SVO is symmetrical around the rear axle. Isn't the shock mount provided also symmetrical?

No, the main bracket is offset to avoid the pumpkin so it can only go on one way.
    Mike S

'86 SVO 9L Leather
    '86 SVO 9L Road Warrior
    '96 300ZXTT