Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    the well known PIA VIN guy Ken Potter's Avatar
    SVO's: 84,85,85.5,86x2
    I'm just going by the only accepted way of measuring the width. I learned this roughly 27 years ago when I had the 9" rear end built / narrowed for my 66 fastback.

I assumed everybody knows this. If somebody was to order a custom rear end from any of the major suppliers they base everything off of the flange to flange / wheel mounting surface as the width.

Here is how Currie requires that info:

https://www.currieenterprises.com/how-to-order-online

"...and measure the distance between the wheel mounting surface..."

SVO's: 86 1C
    Ken, no arguing on my end, just wanted to note that when you look at a table of numbers, the information contained on the Currie page isn't always followed. A couple of examples of variation are, 1) give a c-clip axle length w/o the clip end, so measure from the outside of the flange to the end of the splines or 2) give the length from the inside surface of the flange to the outside surface of the c-clip tip. Unless you are working with a diagram explaining a particular dimension, you can only assume the number given is only what it is and not what you think it is. Don't be afraid to question the method and specifics of a measurement if you can't get the part in front of you.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

14 PSI Boost
    Quote Originally Posted by fast Ed
    Easiest way might be to get under one of those cars and take some rough tape measurements as a starting point to see if it's doable.
    Well, I managed to get up under a '98 Crown Vic with a Watts. The rear track looks pretty close to the SVO rear if not an exact match. Given these Crown Vics already have the 8.8, this looks like a pretty great and economical combo upgrade if you can mount it on the SVO. The best strategy looks like taking the entire rear with Watts off the Crown Vic and welding the necessary spots on a completely rearless SVO. It is a tight fit but with some artful mounting I think you might even be able to keep the stock exhaust. Anyone else still amused by this potential project?
    Last edited by yldouright; 12-17-2018 at 07:38 PM.

SVO's: 2 - 9Ls
    If you don't have pictures, it didn't happen. It would be interesting to read your account of this swap.
    Mike S

'86 SVO 9L Leather
    '86 SVO 9L Road Warrior
    '96 300ZXTT

14 PSI Boost
    I'm still in the research phase, where did I say I already performed this swap? I wouldn't even know how to prep the SVO for the install of the Crown Vic assembly without hand holding. It would be nice to get some corroboration of what I've reported here.

Mike's comment it a common 'theme' here, nothing meant other than elicit a smile. Were you able to snap some pics to look at from the Crown Vic you got under for us to look at?

It would be interesting to get the full rear sub-frame out of the CV, get measurements and see what couple be possible.

While I already have a watts under my SVO, hearing about alternatives, especially from a transplant interests me. I am sure there would be a fair amount of creative adaptation to get the CV's watts into an SVO or any Fox for that matter. The Panther and Fox platforms are not all that common, but I am sure there are some spots that don't stray too far from each other.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

14 PSI Boost
    Being on a creeper with debris falliing on your head doesn't inspire one to pull out their phone to take a photo. I've attached a schematic of the CV rear. Should be good fodder for analysis.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	iSMCks0.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	57.0 KB 
ID:	46406

I can't see there being enough space in the Fox floor pan for the Watts being mounted in front of the axle ... but I've been wrong before!

cheers
    Ed
    84 SVO 1E, option delete 11/83 prod.
    95 Jaguar XJR, also boosted

That area is quite tight for space, especially at full compression...but without measurements it is only a guess. You may need to make different watts arms for the smaller Fox. The watts pivot point is where or very close to where the pinion snubber is located in most Fox chassis, so that is why I say there may be room for that. May require some floor modifications depending on the sweep area of the watts arms. Tight clearance to the muffler bodies as well too.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

the well known PIA VIN guy Ken Potter's Avatar
    SVO's: 84,85,85.5,86x2
    Sounds like an awful lot of extra work when there are already aftermarket, and proven, kits available.

If you're going to experiment hacking something up please use something else besides an SVO.

I'm also an owner of a 92 Town Car which has the same track as the Crown Vic. I don't see how anybody could ever even think the rear end would fit under a Fox Body.

14 PSI Boost
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the SVO Foxbody rear is wider than the GT Fox Mustang. As for the clearance, there might be a way to pin the rear to the subframe connectors but that implies a possible pinion angle adjustment.

Quote Originally Posted by yldouright View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the SVO Foxbody rear is wider than the GT Fox Mustang. As for the clearance, there might be a way to pin the rear to the subframe connectors but that implies a possible pinion angle adjustment.
    From axle flange to axle flange, yes you are correct, but the housing itself is the same size. Swapping in a generic 8.8" rear assembly into an SVO simply requires bringing over some bolt on brackets, brake lines and axles from the SVO's 7.5" assembly. Ask me how I know

As for changing the 'regular' pinion angle, that would run you into problematic driveshaft harmonics without adjusting the trans/engine angle and opens a whole 'nother bag-o-worms. Don't forget that the watts arrangement in the Crown Vic, while an improvement over the original suspension, was still some sort of compromise for packaging in the Panther platform. It would likely be an even bigger compromise as transplanted into the Fox platform...not that it couldn't be done, but when compared to the various Watts and Panhard kits out there it likely wouldn't be either an incrementally 'better' add-on nor as much of a 'bolt-on' solution.

With that said, don't take that as me trying to discourage you in your quest of this concept, just that I am not yet seeing an advantage to transplant the Crown Vic's watts setup into a Fox platform other than it being an interesting Engineering exercise.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4