SVO's: '86 2R

Interesting entry in the 2018 SCCA Solo Nationals

Perusing the entry list for the SCCA Solo Nationals, just to see who's entered, and see what interesting cars are there. While looking at the ESP entries, I discovered this:

1981Ford Mustang SVO Coupe

No pictures of what a '81 SVO Coupe looks like, and it has to be some really weird update/backdate package per ESP rules, but I'll be watching the stream during the ESP runs, if I can, just to see what this thing looks like. It's ESP 97/197, in case anyone else wants to watch, or knows of the car. It's being driven by Robert Alaniz/Daniel Pinto from San Antonio.
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas

SVO's: 86 1C
    Let us know what info you can dig up, sounds interesting. I wonder if they were able to update the suspension to SVO specs along with some sort of 2.3L turbo engine. Could be a carb'd or EFI setup apparently.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

I don't keep up with the letter of the rules for ESP, since I'm more concerned with keeping my nose clean for CP, but it looks like it's doable. The Mustang/SVO are on the same line in the rule book for ESP, meaning you can update/backdate parts between the years. You do, however, have to update/backdate as a package, meaning the engine, everything having to do with the engine, has to go in as a lump. Same for the transmission. That also holds for the diff, but I'd bet the parts are pretty much bolt-in. The front suspension would go in as a unit, too, but I think suspension parts are a bit more open, so more mix and match can happen.

The sticky bit would be the intercooler ducting. The Turbo Pace car didn't have an IC, and I can think of nothing that might, except perhaps get a hood scooped version of the hood and cut a hole somewhere near the IC.

It will be interesting to see, though.
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas

After first day of ESP competition, the driver/co-driver have finished mid-pack, about 3 seconds from the lead. They've beat out a bunch of new iron. It looks like they got a dry run heat. That beats the heck out of the turd-floater that was pretty much all of Tuesday's competition!

Looking at their Regional autocross results, they seem to do well there. Still haven't seen any pictures of the car, except a small thumbnail where you can't make out anything.
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas

Looks like they finished just out of the trophies in 6th and 7th place, out of 14 competitors. Still trying to find pictures of this thing. I'll be watching the 'got cone' web site over the next couple of weeks to see if/when they post pictures of the 2018 Solo Nationals. Since I'm not on facepalm, I don't see much there.
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas

The 'Got Cone' web site has ESP photos posted, finally. It's not much to look at, and certainly no pictures in grid, so no details, other than it has some 'patina' and can lift a front wheel in the corners.
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas

SVO's: 86 1C
    Quote Originally Posted by gbeaird View Post
    The 'Got Cone' web site has ESP photos posted, finally. It's not much to look at, and certainly no pictures in grid, so no details, other than it has some 'patina' and can lift a front wheel in the corners.
    Sounds like he need to either increase his rear spring rate or lower his front sway rate, eh??
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

Yep. Could have been a bump, too. I'm told that the Lincoln surface isn't pool-table flat. I just saw a bit of light under the right front tire in one picture.

I finally corresponded with someone in class. He's actually the ESP champ this year. I asked about the 'SVO' on another forum, and he responded. Turns out they used to have the turbo 4 in it, and while it's faster with that turbo 4, they popped it, and are having trouble finding replacement parts, so dropped a V8 in it for Nationals. It's not a strictly-legal ESP car, more due to body than anything else, but the champ said he didn't care until they start beating him, and they didn't do that yet.
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas

SVO's: 86-1C & 86-1E
    tell him to call us, we can tell him where to find his 4-banger parts
    Eric C
    SVOCA Webmaster

I know. Perhaps they didn't have time to rebuild the destroyed new engine, and someone had a 302 laying around. Dunno, it was third hand through another forum. It could also be a lame excuse to let them run a V8, but they did indicate that the 4-cyl was faster.
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas